Are the posted questions getting worse?

  • Jo Pattyn

    SSC-Dedicated

    Points: 31409

    Fun, database with thousands of tables and no foreign keys

  • x

    SSC-Insane

    Points: 23593

    I (occasionally) work with an app like that, thousands of tables,  no foreign key constraints, even better, if you add an index to a table, the next build will helpfully remove it again unless you add the index to the table from within the app.

    For extra credit, name the vendor and app@!

     

  • Sean Lange

    SSC Guru

    Points: 286536

    x wrote:

    I (occasionally) work with an app like that, thousands of tables,  no foreign key constraints, even better, if you add an index to a table, the next build will helpfully remove it again unless you add the index to the table from within the app.

    For extra credit, name the vendor and app@!

    How about this one? This is from our ERP. Everything that is used by the app uses a specific schema with a schema_id of 5.

    select count(*)
    from sys.tableswhere
    schema_id = 5

    The above returns 3,773. Now let's look at foreign keys.

    select *
    from sys.foreign_keys
    where schema_id = 5

    0 rows returned!!!

     

    • This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Sean Lange.

    _______________________________________________________________

    Need help? Help us help you.

    Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

    Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

  • Jeff Moden

    SSC Guru

    Points: 997128

    MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

    Lynn Pettis wrote:

    MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

    Lynn Pettis wrote:

    MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

    I have to admit that I foolishly used the MSDB method (i'm no ssis expert, but i'm the best we have at our company) and hit a wall of pain with updating packages (hey we have to try and fail to improve), but the MSDB way can work (barely)

    I think the big problem is that once you commit to once solution then it's quite hard to dig it out and turn it around

    What? No self-esteem issues when failing?

    Actually, glad to hear someone else saying that you learn from failures, as long as you don't repeat the same failures.

    Lynn, we all know that you never fail. never have and never will 🙂 mine wasn't a failure it was a "rush to get things through before a deadline without proper planning or research and training" yep - failure to plan is planning to fail

    Trust me, I fail. The key is to learn from the failure and not repeat it, at least in the same way.  It is fun finding different ways to make the same mistake (or error).  I liked your comment about trying and failing to improve.

    Noooooo , the group of people who don't fail are you, Steve Jones, Grant, Kendra, Jeff.. do not shatter that illusion 🙂

    BWAAAA-HAAAAA-HAAAA!!!!!  Ok, ok... I NEVER fail... I just create "learning opportunities".  😀 😀 😀

    --Jeff Moden


    RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".
    "Dear Lord... I'm a DBA so please give me patience because, if you give me strength, I'm going to need bail money too!"

    Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

  • Lynn Pettis

    SSC Guru

    Points: 442359

    Different subject and a bit of a rant/warning.

    I went into work this morning as I needed to work with a coworker, basically a code review of changes I was making.  While at my desk I got a call from a Career Consultant.  Yes, I am starting to get ready for a job search as funding for my position is only good through August 14th.  Told this person what career area I was interested in and was told she could help.  By the way, no company info at this point and was told the conversation was recorded.

    First question she asked me was when did I graduate high school.  My immediate response was that is an illegal question to ask, as it allows someone to determine the age of a person.  She said she was just verifying.  I didn't ask what she was verifying but continued to stress that the question was illegal.  She didn't hang up but the line went quiet.  After about 15 seconds I hung up.

    Just a word of warning.  I will say that I had not provided any personal information during the short conversation.

     

    • This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Lynn Pettis.
  • MVDBA (Mike Vessey)

    SSC-Insane

    Points: 21757

    below86 wrote:

    Another venting.. first thing though, I don't want to get into the whole argument on of using EOM vs BOM.

    Where I work currently they use EOM.  Which is fine with me and frankly what I'm used to and prefer.  But what I don't understand about this place is they are setting this months EOM date as '02/28/2020'.  I looked back and that's what they've done in past leap years, use 02/28/.....  I've tried to tell them if we are going to use EOM then we need to use 02/29/2020 instead.  I even tried to explain that by using EOM that certain date calculations are not going to work correctly when it goes to retrieve data for February 2020.  Pointing out that if a report also brings in the prior months data the code would then be looking for 02/29 not 02/28.  There is NOT a date table in place that everything is to use for these type of situations.  Oh, well, I feel better that I vented.(I made sure to opened the windows 🙂

    Maybe we need Microsoft to give us a "is valid date" based on leap years and leap leap years

    MVDBA

  • Neil Burton

    SSC-Insane

    Points: 22251

    Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

    Glad to see everyone is talking about SQL Server stuff. Hope you've had a good last month.

    The end of last month was fantastic because I had a week in Reykjavik.  Lots of snow, waterfalls and cool bars.  Unfortunately the snow meant the Northern Lights weren't visible and the snorkelling between tectonic plates couldn't happen but I still got to see a geyser erupt and walk on a glacier.  The two 'failures' give us a great excuse for going back though.


    On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

    How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

  • Beatrix Kiddo

    SSC-Dedicated

    Points: 32407

    Lynn Pettis wrote:

    Different subject and a bit of a rant/warning.

    I went into work this morning as I needed to work with a coworker, basically a code review of changes I was making.  While at my desk I got a call from a Career Consultant.  Yes, I am starting to get ready for a job search as funding for my position is only good through August 14th.  Told this person what career area I was interested in and was told she could help.  By the way, no company info at this point and was told the conversation was recorded.

    First question she asked me was when did I graduate high school.  My immediate response was that is an illegal question to ask, as it allows someone to determine the age of a person.  She said she was just verifying.  I didn't ask what she was verifying but continued to stress that the question was illegal.  She didn't hang up but the line went quiet.  After about 15 seconds I hung up.

    Just a word of warning.  I will say that I had not provided any personal information during the short conversation.

     

    Well done for refusing.

  • Ed Wagner

    SSC Guru

    Points: 286985

    Sean Lange wrote:

    x wrote:

    I (occasionally) work with an app like that, thousands of tables,  no foreign key constraints, even better, if you add an index to a table, the next build will helpfully remove it again unless you add the index to the table from within the app.

    For extra credit, name the vendor and app@!

    How about this one? This is from our ERP. Everything that is used by the app uses a specific schema with a schema_id of 5.

    select count(*)
    from sys.tableswhere
    schema_id = 5

    The above returns 3,773. Now let's look at foreign keys.

    select *
    from sys.foreign_keys
    where schema_id = 5

    0 rows returned!!!

    From the description, by guess would have to be baan...or whatever the current incarnation of it is called nowadays.  If you have table names like ttdsls040XXX where XXX is a company number, then that's the beast.  I'm so very thankful I don't have to work with it any more.

    Sean, you know what I'm talking about and the pain it brings.

  • MVDBA (Mike Vessey)

    SSC-Insane

    Points: 21757

    Ed Wagner wrote:

    Sean Lange wrote:

    x wrote:

    I (occasionally) work with an app like that, thousands of tables,  no foreign key constraints, even better, if you add an index to a table, the next build will helpfully remove it again unless you add the index to the table from within the app.

    For extra credit, name the vendor and app@!

    How about this one? This is from our ERP. Everything that is used by the app uses a specific schema with a schema_id of 5.

    select count(*)
    from sys.tableswhere
    schema_id = 5

    The above returns 3,773. Now let's look at foreign keys.

    select *
    from sys.foreign_keys
    where schema_id = 5

    0 rows returned!!!

    From the description, by guess would have to be baan...or whatever the current incarnation of it is called nowadays.  If you have table names like ttdsls040XXX where XXX is a company number, then that's the beast.  I'm so very thankful I don't have to work with it any more.

    Sean, you know what I'm talking about and the pain it brings.

    Oh man  - was it SAP?

    MVDBA

  • Michael L John

    One Orange Chip

    Points: 25946

    MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

    Ed Wagner wrote:

    Sean Lange wrote:

    x wrote:

    I (occasionally) work with an app like that, thousands of tables,  no foreign key constraints, even better, if you add an index to a table, the next build will helpfully remove it again unless you add the index to the table from within the app.

    For extra credit, name the vendor and app@!

    How about this one? This is from our ERP. Everything that is used by the app uses a specific schema with a schema_id of 5.

    select count(*)
    from sys.tableswhere
    schema_id = 5

    The above returns 3,773. Now let's look at foreign keys.

    select *
    from sys.foreign_keys
    where schema_id = 5

    0 rows returned!!!

    From the description, by guess would have to be baan...or whatever the current incarnation of it is called nowadays.  If you have table names like ttdsls040XXX where XXX is a company number, then that's the beast.  I'm so very thankful I don't have to work with it any more.

    Sean, you know what I'm talking about and the pain it brings.

    Oh man  - was it SAP?

    Dynamics CRM is my semi-educated guess.

    Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

  • Eirikur Eiriksson

    SSC Guru

    Points: 182509

    Neil Burton wrote:

    Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

    Glad to see everyone is talking about SQL Server stuff. Hope you've had a good last month.

    The end of last month was fantastic because I had a week in Reykjavik.  Lots of snow, waterfalls and cool bars.  Unfortunately the snow meant the Northern Lights weren't visible and the snorkelling between tectonic plates couldn't happen but I still got to see a geyser erupt and walk on a glacier.  The two 'failures' give us a great excuse for going back though.

    Did you have the chance to try the seasonal Þorramatur?

    😎

  • MVDBA (Mike Vessey)

    SSC-Insane

    Points: 21757

    don't - I went once and it was "an experience" (this is from Wikipedia)

    Kæstur hákarl, fermented Greenland shark.

    Súrsaðir hrútspungar, the testicles of rams pressed in blocks, boiled and cured in lactic acid.

    Svið, singed and boiled sheep's heads, sometimes cured in lactic acid.

    Sviðasulta, head cheese or brawn made from svið, sometimes cured in lactic acid.

    Lifrarpylsa (liver sausage), a pudding made from liver and suet of sheep kneaded with rye flour and oats.

    Blóðmör (blood-suet; also known as slátur lit. 'slaughter'), a type of blood pudding made from lamb's blood and suet kneaded with rye flour and oats.

    Harðfiskur, wind-dried fish (often cod, haddock or seawolf), served with butter.

    Rúgbrauð (rye bread), traditional Icelandic rye bread.

    Hangikjöt, (hung meat), smoked and boiled lamb or mutton, sometimes also eaten raw.

    Lundabaggi, sheep's loins wrapped in the meat from the sides, pressed and cured in lactic acid.

    Selshreifar, seal's flippers cured in lactic acid.

    Súr Hvalur, whale blubber pickled in sour milk.

    Rófustappa, mashed turnips

    stick to good old fashioned polish food - pierogi

    MVDBA

  • Eirikur Eiriksson

    SSC Guru

    Points: 182509

    MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

    don't - I went once and it was "an experience" (this is from Wikipedia)

    Kæstur hákarl, fermented Greenland shark.

    Súrsaðir hrútspungar, the testicles of rams pressed in blocks, boiled and cured in lactic acid.

    Svið, singed and boiled sheep's heads, sometimes cured in lactic acid.

    Sviðasulta, head cheese or brawn made from svið, sometimes cured in lactic acid.

    Lifrarpylsa (liver sausage), a pudding made from liver and suet of sheep kneaded with rye flour and oats.

    Blóðmör (blood-suet; also known as slátur lit. 'slaughter'), a type of blood pudding made from lamb's blood and suet kneaded with rye flour and oats.

    Harðfiskur, wind-dried fish (often cod, haddock or seawolf), served with butter.

    Rúgbrauð (rye bread), traditional Icelandic rye bread.

    Hangikjöt, (hung meat), smoked and boiled lamb or mutton, sometimes also eaten raw.

    Lundabaggi, sheep's loins wrapped in the meat from the sides, pressed and cured in lactic acid.

    Selshreifar, seal's flippers cured in lactic acid.

    Súr Hvalur, whale blubber pickled in sour milk.

    Rófustappa, mashed turnips

    stick to good old fashioned polish food - pierogi

    ...and now I'm drooling 😉

    😎

  • MVDBA (Mike Vessey)

    SSC-Insane

    Points: 21757

    I'm not going near anything that uses the words "sour milk", "seal flippers", "sheeps head" or "testicles"

    I'd rather swap all of my tables to heaps, remove keys and forget to sanitise my inputs.... in fact sheeps head that is where I sanitise my input of food 🙂

    MVDBA

Viewing 15 posts - 64,531 through 64,545 (of 65,145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply