Are the posted questions getting worse?

• ChrisM@Work wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

OK, so I'm curious and interested in expanding my repertoire when it comes to liquor...

Whiskey / whisky vs scotch, and, what's so bad about Jack D?

(Note, I've only recently tried some Honey Jack D from a sampler, haven't gotten to try the straight Jack D or Gentleman Jack that's in it.)

There's only one rule, Jason. If you like it, it's good. Until your next best thing.

true dat

MVDBA

• Jack's just kinda boring, that's all. It's not "bad", like undrinkable or anything, but it's not interesting either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jasona.work wrote:

OK, so I'm curious and interested in expanding my repertoire when it comes to liquor...

(Note, I've only recently tried some Honey Jack D from a sampler, haven't gotten to try the straight Jack D or Gentleman Jack that's in it.)

the "E" is a scottish/irish/american thing (maybe a few other countries involved) - jack d is a rye malt, and a lot of people don't class it as a whisky... i just dont like it as it's too sweet. (i like a good ballantyne - it makes your eyes bulge and your throat burn as it goes down)

Try Haig Club, that's nice and smoothe (big blue bottle, advertised by david beckham) - or as chrism says "keep drinking until you find a better bottle" - just don't drive 🙂

MVDBA

• Thomas Rushton wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Tonight, I'll be having haggis. Pray for me.

Tonight, I'll be in a theatre orchestra pit for the 5th time this week.  No need for prayers - I need coffee.  Lots of coffee.

So, which production? And what are you playing? I loved pit orchestra. Favorite was collaborating with the dance department on a Duke Ellington show, that was really interesting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• ChrisM@Work wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

There's only one rule, Jason. If you like it, it's good. Until your next best thing.

Yep

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• jonathan.crawford wrote:

Jack's just kinda boring, that's all. It's not "bad", like undrinkable or anything, but it's not interesting either.

Some of the special Jacks are much better.  I don't think they're up there with a good Scotch but there's definitely more to them.

I will raise a large JD and coke to the late, great Lemmy every now and then.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Neil Burton wrote:

jonathan.crawford wrote:

Jack's just kinda boring, that's all. It's not "bad", like undrinkable or anything, but it's not interesting either.

Some of the special Jacks are much better.  I don't think they're up there with a good Scotch but there's definitely more to them.

lemmy? with Nicholas parsons  dyeing at 98 and 1/4 of the remaining monty python team out of action...…..well my Ballantyne with no ice and no coke is raised and glugged in (as parsons says) just a minute

MVDBA

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Neil Burton wrote:

jonathan.crawford wrote:

lemmy? with Nicholas parsons  dyeing at 98 and 1/4 of the remaining monty python team out of action...…..well my Ballantyne with no ice and no coke is raised and glugged in (as parsons says) just a minute

Yes, I know I'm picky, but Nicholas Parsons was 96 when he died. And dyeing is quite different from dying!! Lemmy is the only reason I ever touch JD.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Neil Burton wrote:

jonathan.crawford wrote:

Indeed!!! I still can't believe they got overlooked on the HoF this year!!! Meanwhile people like Whitney Houston get inducted??? I toured the HoF last summer at it was amazing. But I did find myself chuckling at various artists who had no business being there. I guess Whitney Houston will be added to that list for me. But Lemmy....he was the epitome of the rock and roll bad to the bone MF!!! He is sorely missed!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Thomas Rushton wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Tonight, I'll be having haggis. Pray for me.

Tonight, I'll be in a theatre orchestra pit for the 5th time this week.  No need for prayers - I need coffee.  Lots of coffee.

What do you play? I have been a musician most of my life. Picked up my trumpet about 2 1/2 years ago after more than 25 years. Been playing regularly ever since. Had a gig last night with a traditional English style brass band. I have another gig tonight with my rock band. I have also played bass continuously for more pushing 40 years now. We should have a SSC hootenanny someday.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange wrote:

Neil Burton wrote:

Indeed!!! I still can't believe they got overlooked on the HoF this year!!! Meanwhile people like Whitney Houston get inducted??? I toured the HoF last summer at it was amazing. But I did find myself chuckling at various artists who had no business being there. I guess Whitney Houston will be added to that list for me. But Lemmy....he was the epitome of the rock and roll bad to the bone MF!!! He is sorely missed!!

That's because the Foundation that controls the nomination and voting process for this is based in New York and run by marketing type people that care more about being inclusive and diverse than about the actual original idea of the HoF.

• Sean Lange wrote:

Neil Burton wrote:

jonathan.crawford wrote:

I'm gonna be honest here, I read the letters HoF and thought that I had missed the death of david Hasselhoff. DO NOT SCARE ME AGAIN

MVDBA

• OK, something I've never done before.  Would anyone object if I posted a GoFundMe link here?  It's not for me in any way, shape, or form, but it is for a family member.

Some background:  One of my nieces' is confined to a wheelchair.  She's had a powerchair that can lift her to a standing position, but, well, like all mechanical things, it's finally given up the ghost.  The problem is, such chairs are apparently seen as "luxuries," so while insurance will cover 80% of the cost, that still leaves 20%, not to mention, as the niece put it "that fight could take up to a year."  Without a chair, she's basically immobile unless someone can carry her.  So, she's trying to raise the funds to buy one outright.  How much is a new chair?  Well, lets put it this way, if she had the money to get one right now and wasn't confined to a wheelchair, she could get a base Porsche 718 Cayman S and have a fair chunk of change left over.  Yeah, they're that expensive (starting around $75000)

So.  If no one has an issue with this, I'd like to post the link here, just to try to help (and I'm not telling her I'm doing this, either.)

• jasona.work wrote:

OK, something I've never done before.  Would anyone object if I posted a GoFundMe link here?  It's not for me in any way, shape, or form, but it is for a family member.

Some background:  One of my nieces' is confined to a wheelchair.  She's had a powerchair that can lift her to a standing position, but, well, like all mechanical things, it's finally given up the ghost.  The problem is, such chairs are apparently seen as "luxuries," so while insurance will cover 80% of the cost, that still leaves 20%, not to mention, as the niece put it "that fight could take up to a year."  Without a chair, she's basically immobile unless someone can carry her.  So, she's trying to raise the funds to buy one outright.  How much is a new chair?  Well, lets put it this way, if she had the money to get one right now and wasn't confined to a wheelchair, she could get a base Porsche 718 Cayman S and have a fair chunk of change left over.  Yeah, they're that expensive (starting around $75000)

So.  If no one has an issue with this, I'd like to post the link here, just to try to help (and I'm not telling her I'm doing this, either.)

Just a thought Jason, if you were to set this up as your signature, then it's not technically a post. And it's not at all unusual for people to put personal snippets into their sig.

Edit: these gadgets.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  ChrisM@Work.
    “Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• If you were posting it to the water cooler, I think it's fine. Posting it to the forums could very easily be interpreted as spam (not by me, but by others or even by our sad little spam engine). Post it here, absolutely, and add it to your signature. However, just in case, please don't make a separate post for it to the forums.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 15 posts - 64,456 through 64,470 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply