Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Not me, back at work and getting some things done here today.

Enjoy the holiday, and be safe. My daughter had surgery last week, so we're still helping her recover and no plans tonight. Not sure we'll see the NYC New Year. Certainly won't see CO.

That's a tough row to hoe.  Wish your daughter all the best for us.  You too!  I know these types of things are tough on Moms and Dads.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Not me, back at work and getting some things done here today.

Enjoy the holiday, and be safe. My daughter had surgery last week, so we're still helping her recover and no plans tonight. Not sure we'll see the NYC New Year. Certainly won't see CO.

That's a tough row to hoe.  Wish your daughter all the best for us.  You too!  I know these types of things are tough on Moms and Dads.

Ditto

Love to your daughter and you

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Thanks all. Elective jaw surgery, and it's quite a convalescence, but she's doing well

• Happy new year guys and girls

😎

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Thanks all. Elective jaw surgery, and it's quite a convalescence, but she's doing well

Best wishes Steve and hopefully a speedy recovery for your daughter

😎

• Happy New Year to all.

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

Happy New Year to all.

Same back at ya, Lynn.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Happy New Year

May your late-night emergency call-out bleepers be kind to you this year.

I'm back in the office after the festivities.  Nothing seems to have changed, except I think the heating has been off, as it's a bit nippy in here.  It's quiet - but that's because there's only a few of us in.  Next week things should be back to what passes for normal.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Happy New Year all, hope you enjoyed the festivities, and the break (if you got one). I was working most of the days, or otherwise with family, so I can't wait till the weekend! 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Happy Yuletide! Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

Star Wars sucks (not the first two, chronological, films, just all the rest)!

Looking forward to going to see 1917 though.

3 words that nearly destroyed my faith in star wars

"Jar Jar Binks"

MVDBA

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Happy Yuletide! Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

Star Wars sucks (not the first two, chronological, films, just all the rest)!

Looking forward to going to see 1917 though.

3 words that nearly destroyed my faith in star wars

"Jar Jar Binks"

I can undarestand it if "JAR" (PK\x03\x04) is a reference to Java Archived/Compressed file 😉

😎

• Unexpected gifts from nowhere... I now have a second "Ice Breaker/Litmus Test" question for interviews. No need to pile on folks.  I'm just a little gob-smacked that someone has been working with SQL for at least 1 year and 7 months (according to their post history), claims to be "newbie", and then doesn't know such a thing and (apparently) made no effort on their own to find out.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/difference-between-numeric-and-decimal

I guess things like this shouldn't surprise me anymore.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Unexpected gifts from nowhere... I now have a second "Ice Breaker/Litmus Test" question for interviews. No need to pile on folks.  I'm just a little gob-smacked that someone has been working with SQL for at least 1 year and 7 months (according to their post history), claims to be "newbie", and then doesn't know such a thing and (apparently) made no effort on their own to find out.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/difference-between-numeric-and-decimal

Considering that NUMERIC and DECIMAL are synonymous.  I will add one for you.  In some dynamic code I am reworking numeric is treated as a floating number and decimal as fixed decimal when converting to a character representation.

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Unexpected gifts from nowhere... I now have a second "Ice Breaker/Litmus Test" question for interviews. No need to pile on folks.  I'm just a little gob-smacked that someone has been working with SQL for at least 1 year and 7 months (according to their post history), claims to be "newbie", and then doesn't know such a thing and (apparently) made no effort on their own to find out.

Considering that NUMERIC and DECIMAL are synonymous.  I will add one for you.  In some dynamic code I am reworking numeric is treated as a floating number and decimal as fixed decimal when converting to a character representation.

Lynn, can I swap jobs?

I have a table with 1024 columns, labelled col1,col2,col3 etc. for each customer col3 might store a differerent value (car parking spaces, staff count, number of police incidents etc) - now there is also a trigger on that table that calls a stored proc (meaning we can only update one row at a time)…. so I have a cursor and in the where clause of the cursor is a non-deterministic function (with another cursor in it) - the function executes against 50 million rows and returns 3 or 4 rows...…..MADNESS

developer solution - "get better hardware, we've had this for a year"

My solution : "LEARN TO WRITE KEY VALUE PAIRS, NORMALISE, AND STOP USING SQL LIKE YOU USE C# (BADLY)

MVDBA

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

As to the last film. How long have they known that they could launch a ship into space warp or whatever they're calling it and destroy every single thing in it's path? Why wasn't this a common tactic. Throw a droid on a derelict and launch it at the enemy. Heck, purpose build a bunch of rails with a warp drive and throw them at the enemy. Not to mention, blast enemy installations with it. Death Star? No problem. Throw five or six of those rails at it. Done. Fixed it.

Or, let's say they just figured it out. If they're not using it all over the place in the next movie, it's stupid. You just found one of the single most devastating weapons in the universe, but you're going to go back to star fighters? Nope. Space battles suddenly look like Jutland. No heavy concentrations of ships because of this new terror weapon. Everyone is scattered & isolated in a far flung cloud where you try to coordinate attacks of the fleet.

Again, that would be a great movie done right. I'm anticipating more simulations of the Battle of Midway combined with Dam Busters, just with additional stupid.

Good! Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

Viewing 15 posts - 64,291 through 64,305 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply