Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Back, barely functional after a few airplanes, but I see your complaints and have forwarded them on.

I don't know what I can say or do and I'm fairly frustrated with the lack of resources myself. Feel free to complain to marketing@red-gate.com and tell your friends to do so, since I do not appear to have any pull on getting bugs fixed. I am often as frustrated as many of you as I am trying to get work done on the site and keep getting 504s. I think this is because of the ability of people to run some complex search queries, which add load and LIKE to the horrific WordPress query structure.

• Back, barely functional after a few airplanes, but I see your complaints and have forwarded them on.

I don't know what I can say or do and I'm fairly frustrated with the lack of resources myself. Feel free to complain to marketing@red-gate.com and tell your friends to do so, since I do not appear to have any pull on getting bugs fixed. I am often as frustrated as many of you as I am trying to get work done on the site and keep getting 504s. I think this is because of the ability of people to run some complex search queries, which add load and LIKE to the horrific WordPress query structure.

• Is there a public list of bugs? A public change log?

412-977-3526 call/text

• Robert Sterbal wrote:

Is there a public list of bugs? A public change log?

wishful thinking I would say

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Back, barely functional after a few airplanes, but I see your complaints and have forwarded them on.

What we need to be a little careful of is RedGate considering the forums on SSC becoming a "liability" like they apparently did over on "Simple-Talk" years ago and simply dropped the forums.  They also recently did that with the "ASK SSC" site.

Remember that marketing people do NOT have the same goals as most of the rest of us on these forums.  Their idea of what is and the purpose of "community" may be (and frequently is) quite different.

I must admit that I'm a bit lost as to them apparently not listening to Steve about any of this. 🙁

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Back, barely functional after a few airplanes, but I see your complaints and have forwarded them on.

What we need to be a little careful of is RedGate considering the forums on SSC becoming a "liability" like they apparently did over on "Simple-Talk" years ago and simply dropped the forums.  They also recently did that with the "ASK SSC" site.

Remember that marketing people do NOT have the same goals as most of the rest of us on these forums.  Their idea of what is and the purpose of "community" may be (and frequently is) quite different.

I must admit that I'm a bit lost as to them apparently not listening to Steve about any of this. 🙁

The marketing people probably made decisions based upon revenue created.  While there is likely not a “straight line” between revenue and the cost of SSC, maybe they need to attempt to calculate the loss of revenue if SSC goes away.

This type of cost justification is very difficult to make.  How do you put a dollar amount on “Hey, I saw it on SSC. Redgate sponsors that!”????

Maybe it’s time to get Redgate to spin off SSC? Or let someone else take it over?

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• I have found it difficult to use the search functions here, actually. I often find myself trying to find a post or, more likely, an article I know I read but didn't bookmark at the time. The query never returns said article based on what I know was in it and often I have to go to author pages to find it.

It's hilarious (not really) when I have to go to my own author page to find an article I wrote because the search engine can't find it.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Sergiy wrote:

are you sure it’s what you can call “mobile friendly”? IMG_3371

scrolling through mostly empty spaces with huge headings to find something shown in super small font, and then trying to find and hit with you finger tiniest “Reply” - that’s opposite to mobile friendly, as to me.

Oh don't get me wrong it's not good on mobile but it at least looks like it's supposed to be there.

The site is pretty terrible on a normal computer now since it was obviously designed for vertical aspect ratios and compared to the old site has tons of pure wasted space now.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

@steve-2 :

I guess my question would be, what are the marketing stats for the site?  Perhaps a bit of understanding there would help us shape our requests to the marketing department.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Robert Sterbal wrote:

Is there a public list of bugs? A public change log?

There isn't. We have the code in a private repo, where issues are tracked. I don't know if or can this be converted to public. Working in open source, is challenging in different ways, so not sure how easily that is to implement.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

I have found it difficult to use the search functions here, actually. I often find myself trying to find a post or, more likely, an article I know I read but didn't bookmark at the time. The query never returns said article based on what I know was in it and often I have to go to author pages to find it.

It's hilarious (not really) when I have to go to my own author page to find an article I wrote because the search engine can't find it.

I thought the search was google, which should work fairly well. I think most articles and forum posts are indexed. If you have examples of where search fails, I'd like to know specifically what is broken.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

@steve-2 :

I guess my question would be, what are the marketing stats for the site?  Perhaps a bit of understanding there would help us shape our requests to the marketing department.

I'm not sure myself, and I don't know that there is a clear set of marketing values/goals here. There are certainly some people who don't appreciate or value the site. There are others who aren't sure of value.

Marketing isn't a thing here, it's dozens of people, most of whom don't have any idea. My advice is to press from your side what value you've gotten from the site, or where you've helped others, and also give them your impression of Redgate based on the site. Good or bad.

I am searching for some WordPress consultants, as I do have some budget. The challenge is figuring out how and what to work on and can they actually get something done relatively quickly.

• Note I will be here for as long as this site exists for by far it is the best forum for getting and giving quality SQL knowledge. I have long ago left so many other forums as they actually promote garbage quantity over quality and that to me is useless. Further if Redgate does not understand the major benefit this site provides to them that is a symptom of short-sighted thinkers which does not surprise me in the least far to many of those folks out in the world. I have seen numerous companies go under due to this short-sighted thinking, and have been able to easily predict their demise after having worked for a few of these said companies for a short period of time.

Yes this forum has bugs and it would be great if those were cleared up but frankly the options to this forum are basically none and in fact this is the only SQL forum I remain in contact with. There is absolutley no other SQL forum or programming forum for that matter out there that is better than this one.

That being said I actually run a free lab/classroom for programming on Discord which I created a while back due to the lack of quality support for PythonQt (although it has expanded since then to all programming languages that I know) and having gotten kicked off various PyQt forums because despite the facts they chose to support folks using an aspect of Python that frankly should not be used but apparently they were looking for garbage quantity over quality just like many of the forums today. I mean on those forums I was the one that answered perhaps 80% of the questions and still they did not like my factual view on this single issue.

• Re: design. There are tons of people that would tell you a lot of white space and modern design is good. While you (and I) might prefer the old site, there are plenty that prefer a more open design. I'm very torn here on what to do since a lot of younger people want a cleaner design and get upset if we cram stuff in. I think I might try to strike a balance in the middle, with some whitespace, but not so much if I could affect change there.

Mobile is challenging. Some places have separate teams, so they can run a separate codebase. The older forums didn't adjust for mobile. These do, though certainly the buttons need some resizing. I think there could be some things done here, but I'd say this is very low priority, and honestly, from stats, very few people use this site on mobile. This is a place people come from their desktops/laptops for work, not leisure.

• Re: design. There are tons of people that would tell you a lot of white space and modern design is good. While you (and I) might prefer the old site, there are plenty that prefer a more open design. I'm very torn here on what to do since a lot of younger people want a cleaner design and get upset if we cram stuff in. I think I might try to strike a balance in the middle, with some whitespace, but not so much if I could affect change there.

Mobile is challenging. Some places have separate teams, so they can run a separate codebase. The older forums didn't adjust for mobile. These do, though certainly the buttons need some resizing. I think there could be some things done here, but I'd say this is very low priority, and honestly, from stats, very few people use this site on mobile. This is a place people come from their desktops/laptops for work, not leisure.

Viewing 15 posts - 66,571 through 66,585 (of 66,668 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply