Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Well this evening was a capper on the last couple weeks, and in both a bad and a good way...

Bad in that it took me over an hour to get home, rather than my usual 30-40 minutes, because of some seriously backed up traffic.

Good in that, just before the end of the day, I get an e-mail about an update to my electronic personnel file...

I peek in to see what changed, because that I'm aware of there was nothing going on that should've resulted in anything getting added / changed.

I'm presuming because our audit went as well as it did, that that's the reason for the bonus coming my way...

It'll be interesting to find out if anyone else on the team got one too...

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

And yet another week of dealing with the "anti-virus" virus...

So how was your day?

Good and bad. worked a bit and then spent the last day and evening with my daughter. Today she moves into university.

IMG_20190815_135736_01

Congrats, Steve!  How'd you like Potsdam?

I have a lot of friends who went to Potsdam.

Just as long as she doesn't root for Clarkson hockey...! 😀

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K wrote:

Congrats, Steve!  How'd you like Potsdam?

I have a lot of friends who went to Potsdam.

Just as long as she doesn't root for Clarkson hockey...! 😀

It's a neat town. We were up there for 4 days, and I enjoyed it. Not close to anything, but I think it will be a good spot for her.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

It's been good. We're still waiting for our baby girl to decide to be born. She's taking her time. (Yesterday was the "due date")

I'm assuming by now congratulations are in order. Enjoy the new little one.

You were really close. Our little Renata was born on August 19 at 2:12pm EST. There were some complications and she's spending some time at NICU, but getting healthier and stronger every day. We hope to have her home soon, but don't expect her before next week.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Congratulations. I hope everybody is doing ok. That sounds very hard.

• Luis Cazares wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

It's been good. We're still waiting for our baby girl to decide to be born. She's taking her time. (Yesterday was the "due date")

You were really close. Our little Renata was born on August 19 at 2:12pm EST. There were some complications and she's spending some time at NICU, but getting healthier and stronger every day. We hope to have her home soon, but don't expect her before next week.

Congratulations 🙂

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Luis Cazares wrote:

Congratulations and I hope you get her home soon. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Luis Cazares wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

That's wonderful news. Congratulations.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Luis Cazares wrote:

Congratulations on your little girl. I feel your NICU pain. My little boy spent 6 weeks there learning how to eat and breath. We got lucky. He was the healthiest baby in the NICU at the time. Lots of other babies had worse problems. I wish you the best in her coming out soon without any issues.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I'm interviewing a lot of candidates for a mid-level Production DBA role at the moment, and one of the questions I ask is what's the difference between truncating a transaction log and shrinking a transaction log. Nobody has answered it correctly yet, even the ones who are otherwise quite strong candidates. Some of the candidates even get the two things exactly the wrong way round. Most of them think it's something you should NEVER do. (I guess they never take t-log backups in their estate, then?)

Baffling. I started to doubt myself after a few of those interviews, and I even Googled it to check that I hadn't misunderstood it myself all these years.

• Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

I'm interviewing a lot of candidates for a mid-level Production DBA role at the moment, and one of the questions I ask is what's the difference between truncating a transaction log and shrinking a transaction log. Nobody has answered it correctly yet, even the ones who are otherwise quite strong candidates. Some of the candidates even get the two things exactly the wrong way round. Most of them think it's something you should NEVER do. (I guess they never take t-log backups in their estate, then?)

Baffling. I started to doubt myself after a few of those interviews, and I even Googled it to check that I hadn't misunderstood it myself all these years.

Welllll. I thought (even though people do do it) that shrinking a transaction log was something you were never supposed to do. Soooo I would definitely have answered that to the shrinking part of the question.

EDIT: Does that mean I don't get the job? @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

I'm interviewing a lot of candidates for a mid-level Production DBA role at the moment, and one of the questions I ask is what's the difference between truncating a transaction log and shrinking a transaction log. Nobody has answered it correctly yet, even the ones who are otherwise quite strong candidates. Some of the candidates even get the two things exactly the wrong way round. Most of them think it's something you should NEVER do. (I guess they never take t-log backups in their estate, then?)

Ask them the difference between blocking and deadlocks. Those are always awesome answers. Less fun, but still fun, what's the difference between a clustered and non-clustered index is a great question.

I'm not even remotely surprised that you're getting bad answers. The level of knowledge out there of "mid-level", and sometimes even "senior", people is appalling. One year of experience, multiplied. That's most people, sadly.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Congrats Luis!  hope the family is doing well 🙂

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Ask them the difference between blocking and deadlocks. Those are always awesome answers. Less fun, but still fun, what's the difference between a clustered and non-clustered index is a great question.

I'm not even remotely surprised that you're getting bad answers. The level of knowledge out there of "mid-level", and sometimes even "senior", people is appalling. One year of experience, multiplied. That's most people, sadly.

Interviewing a Senior DBA, I was told that a full backup didn't back up the log file. That would make a restore interesting.

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

And don't forget "old faithful", how do you get the current system time using t-sql. Another one I have found interesting is something along the lines of "can you explain sql injection and how we can exploit it to our advantage". Talk about some interesting answers.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Viewing 15 posts - 63,931 through 63,945 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply