Are the posted questions getting worse?

• And they've changed their minds.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  Neil Burton.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  Neil Burton.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• It's been the kind of week where:

1. Mandated anti-virus software gets an update pushed over the weekend, begins gobbling CPU like it's the only application on the server (ALL the servers, SQL, Web, application, you name it.)
    2. You reach your work-from-home day, and the VPN to the office is bouncier than a toddler on a pure caffeine, sugar, and given a puppy
    3. When you try to go in to put in a ticket to get the work-around to the AV problem put in as requested by your boss, the VPN goes down and you can't reconnect.  When you get a text back from the boss after texting him to let him know, you find out the fire alarm went off in the office, so no one is in there anyways...
    4. You have tomorrow off, but you're requested to connect in (here's hoping the VPN works) to check on your servers (but at least you'll get comp time for it.)

Yeah, I'm frustrated today...

• jasona.work wrote:

It's been the kind of week where:

<li style="list-style-type: none;">

1. Mandated anti-virus software gets an update pushed over the weekend, begins gobbling CPU like it's the only application on the server (ALL the servers, SQL, Web, application, you name it.)

1. You reach your work-from-home day, and the VPN to the office is bouncier than a toddler on a pure caffeine, sugar, and given a puppy

1. When you try to go in to put in a ticket to get the work-around to the AV problem put in as requested by your boss, the VPN goes down and you can't reconnect.  When you get a text back from the boss after texting him to let him know, you find out the fire alarm went off in the office, so no one is in there anyways...

1. You have tomorrow off, but you're requested to connect in (here's hoping the VPN works) to check on your servers (but at least you'll get comp time for it.)

Yeah, I'm frustrated today...

Could be worse. About six months ago, someone pushed the AV update during the middle of a work day and blew away our database file exceptions in the process.

Brought down EVERYTHING and then our VP went on the warpath with us trying to find out what we did wrong.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Could be worse. About six months ago, someone pushed the AV update during the middle of a work day and blew away our database file exceptions in the process.

Brought down EVERYTHING and then our VP went on the warpath with us trying to find out what we did wrong.

Oh lord, now you've got me worried that might've happened as well...

Although I don't think it did, thankfully...

• Can we do that with some other recent decisions now please..? ??

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• "UK to stay in Interrail scheme after U-turn"

ba dum chhh

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Heh... more "new site" sucking sounds.  The fnTally script that was recently published and nearly 4,000 reads and 9 votes yesterday.  Today, it says it's only had a little over 300 reads and 2 votes.

Please, Steve... can we finally get the bugs worked out and properly repaired?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Bugs are being fixed and things repaired. This is the first I've seen/heard of this. It's been filed.

• HAHAHAHA!!!!   https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/08/wiseguy-changes-license-plate-to-null-gets-12k-in-parking-tickets/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

•  

Should have gone for 'NULL'

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Bugs are being fixed and things repaired. This is the first I've seen/heard of this. It's been filed.

Thanks, Steve.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thom A wrote:

Can we do that with some other recent decisions now please..? ??

Yes please!

This forum is really quiet now. I know everybody's working hard fixing the issues and I don't want to put the boot in further, but I must admit I come here less myself nowadays because of how long pages take to load, how difficult it is to navigate now, etc.

• Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

This forum is really quiet now. I know everybody's working hard fixing the issues and I don't want to put the boot in further, but I must admit I come here less myself nowadays because of how long pages take to load, how difficult it is to navigate now, etc.

I've found the volume of questions has been on the decline as well, meaning that my visits is on the decline, as there's no questions that I can answer, or haven't already been.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Yes, it's a vicious circle!

• Thom A wrote:

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

I've found the volume of questions has been on the decline as well, meaning that my visits is on the decline, as there's no questions that I can answer, or haven't already been.

You guys hit the nail on the head there.  As the functionality and performance go down, use follows.

Viewing 15 posts - 63,886 through 63,900 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply