Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I had an annoying problem with SQLServer 2016 and 2017.  The latest updates to both were failing with windows update error 0x8024000b.  So I ran sfc /scannow and let it run until it finished.  The ran windows update again.  The SQLServer 2016 update worked, installed correctly.  The SQLServer 2017 update now fails with windows update error 0x8024001e.    Needless to say, the update troubleshooter detects no problem.  The only way I can discover to fix this problem is to reinstall the SSU and then restart the machine; my machine runs windows 10 version 1903 for X64, but the SSU released in June 2019 by MS is for windows 10 version 1809, and the version 1903 SSU and version 1803 SSU were both released in May 2019, so I'm worried that installing the older SSU may cause more problems than it fixes since several June and July updates have been installed on my machine.

Anyone have any suggestions for a less heavy fix for this particular error?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  TomThomson.

Tom

• A new bump in the road with one person in the office. I'm working on a improving performance for a procedure and send it to code review with him. This was his reply:

The sample runs we indicated diffrent plans being used from the original code

I just wanted to "enthusiastically" reply: "That's the point".

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares wrote:

A new bump in the road with one person in the office. I'm working on a improving performance for a procedure and send it to code review with him. This was his reply:

Your reply, curt though it may be, is still more polite than mine would have been.

I'd have said: "So what?"

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Luis Cazares wrote:

A new bump in the road with one person in the office. I'm working on a improving performance for a procedure and send it to code review with him. This was his reply:

I would have replied something just like that. Maybe something slightly less direct. "Since I am working on performance improvement I would expect a new execution plan. The one was clearly not very good which I why I was working on this in the first place."

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Phil Parkin wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

Your reply, curt though it may be, is still more polite than mine would have been. I'd have said: "So what?"

That's because I removed a word and the ALL CAPS.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

• Luis Cazares wrote:

I think I'd have asked what his/her concern was. To me, this is a good teaching moment. Someone might expect better performance from the same execution plan, not realizing what a difference means. At least they're looking at execution plans. Now be sure they know why.

• I just execute all the plans and let SQL sort it out

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• I agree with Steve... this could turn into a great mentor moment.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

I think I'd have asked what his/her concern was. To me, this is a good teaching moment. Someone might expect better performance from the same execution plan, not realizing what a difference means. At least they're looking at execution plans. Now be sure they know why.

It's definitely a good teaching moment.  However, knowing me, I would have started out with something like "That's the point" and then gone on from there to explain it.  Yes, it's short and succinct, but it makes the point in 3 words.

• Ed Wagner wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

It's definitely a good teaching moment.  However, knowing me, I would have started out with something like "That's the point" and then gone on from there to explain it.  Yes, it's short and succinct, but it makes the point in 3 words.

And as a basic teaching moment, I sent them Gail's article on How to Confuse the SQL Server Query Optimizer. The procedure that I fixed had all the problems listed in there.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:

• Has anyone had any dealings with NewEgg.com?  They've got 1 heck of a deal on a laptop that I'd like to get but...

1. They are not BBB accredited.
    2. They've got nothing but bad reviews on the BBB site.  Of course, few people will get onto the BBB site to say a company was good but they are a solid 1 out of 5 stars.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Has anyone had any dealings with NewEgg.com?  They've got 1 heck of a deal on a laptop that I'd like to get but...

1. They are not BBB accredited.
    2. They've got nothing but bad reviews on the BBB site.  Of course, few people will get onto the BBB site to say a company was good but they are a solid 1 out of 5 stars.

I used to buy a ton of PC parts from Newegg and never had a problem.  I've largely slowed down my PC parts purchases, so I can't say if they've gone downhill recently or not (My last purchase from them was a KVM cable in May, kind of hard to mess that up.)

That being said, they've also gone, to some extent, the Amazon route.  Some items, rather than being sold by Newegg, are being sold by "partners," who could be less than good.

• Thanks, Jason. Nice to hear from someone that's "actually been there and done that".

And, yeah... I picked up on the fact that they used partners as Amazon does.

Here's what I'm thinking about getting.  I'm calling it my "retirement laptop".   It should get me through the next half dozen revisions of SQL Server. 😀 I also settled on "just" 32GB of RAM because 64 GB added an extra $400 to the price.  It would be nice to have from some bragging rights but I'm having a hard time justifying the need for even 32GB on a laptop.

https://www.newegg.com/p/2WC-000N-004G4

One of the things that really caught my eye was the claim that no "bloatware" is installed like some companies do.  I also like their special cooling system with the dust ejector channels.

My only concern at this point is that the battery pack is only 3 cell/45 watt hours.  But, again, where am I going to be where I might need more than the paltry 2.5 hours (max) of cordless time?

Still thinking about it, though.  I don't make these kinds of purchases on a whim.

If anyone else has a suggestion for a "retirement laptop" that can run SQL Server Developer's Edition in a spritely manner, I'm open to suggestions.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Thanks, Jason. Nice to hear from someone that's "actually been there and done that". And, yeah... I picked up on the fact that they used partners as Amazon does. Here's what I'm thinking about getting.  I'm calling it my "retirement laptop".   It should get me through the next half dozen revisions of SQL Server. 😀 I also settled on "just" 32GB of RAM because 64 GB added an extra $400 to the price.  It would be nice to have from some bragging rights but I'm having a hard time justifying the need for even 32GB on a laptop. https://www.newegg.com/p/2WC-000N-004G4 One of the things that really caught my eye was the claim that no "bloatware" is installed like some companies do.  I also like their special cooling system with the dust ejector channels. My only concern at this point is that the battery pack is only 3 cell/45 watt hours.  But, again, where am I going to be where I might need more than the paltry 2.5 hours (max) of cordless time? Still thinking about it, though.  I don't make these kinds of purchases on a whim. If anyone else has a suggestion for a "retirement laptop" that can run SQL Server Developer's Edition in a spritely manner, I'm open to suggestions.

Looks a bit pricey given that slightly less RAM and SSD will cut around $1K of the price but upgrading cost 1/3 of that!

😎

• Now there's an option I'd not considered, Eirikur!  Thanks for the EXCELLENT tip!

Also, how do folks feel about a Thunderbolt 3 port?  I don't personally see the need, especially with things like wireless printers, etc, being available, but I've been wrong about such things before.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 63,841 through 63,855 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply