Are the posted questions getting worse?

  • below86

    SSChampion

    Points: 11203

    I was just under the 'Active threads' view/forum.  For this topic I saw there was an update, so I clicked on the time of the last update '26 minutes ago' and it didn't take me to the last update that went with that time stamp.  It took me to the 'previous' page(at the top of the page) of replies(4,247).  Anyone else have this issue?

    -------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us

  • below86

    SSChampion

    Points: 11203

    After I submitted the above post it again took me back to the top of the responses on 'page' 4,247.  WTF is going on?

    -------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us

  • Eirikur Eiriksson

    SSC Guru

    Points: 182336

    Brandie Tarvin wrote:

    Bad news, Chaps. The Queen now has to pay for her "stories." https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48583487 EDIT: This was meant humorously, BTW.

    Haven't had a telly for more than 20 years, do neither miss the licence fees nor the rubbish content 😉

    😎

     

  • Eirikur Eiriksson

    SSC Guru

    Points: 182336

    Jeff Moden wrote:

    BrainDonor wrote:

    MS have added database diagrams back into SSMS - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms?view=sql-server-2017  

    Other than Windowing functions, this is one of the best moves MS has ever done.  It certainly made my day because I used the feature a LOT!

    I've found that if someone understands the Windowing functions, they will understand set based methodology. Given the prove we (SSC) has presented on performance and logic improvements, I'm all for it!

    😎

     

  • Brandie Tarvin

    SSC Guru

    Points: 172500

    below86 wrote:

    After I submitted the above post it again took me back to the top of the responses on 'page' 4,247.  WTF is going on?

    There's something weird going on where it won't take you to the "new" page until the new page has a certain amount of posts on it (I guess enough to qualify as an actual page?). I ran into that issue myself recently. We're not sure what's going on. I just noticed it "settled" after like 5 or 6 posts got on a page.

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • Ed Wagner

    SSC Guru

    Points: 286950

    Sean Lange wrote:

    I am still not getting the newsletter. I have checked my settings and both the daily and weekly digest are checked. I have not seen a single one since the new site was deployed. I love this community but man this "improved" version is still very painful to work with.

    Hey, at least you can view previous newsletters again.  I try to read them in batches when I have the time.

  • Ed Wagner

    SSC Guru

    Points: 286950

    below86 wrote:

    After I submitted the above post it again took me back to the top of the responses on 'page' 4,247.  WTF is going on?

    I had the same exact behavior when I clicked the link for Sean's newsletter post above.

  • Sean Lange

    SSC Guru

    Points: 286388

    Ed Wagner wrote:

    below86 wrote:

    After I submitted the above post it again took me back to the top of the responses on 'page' 4,247.  WTF is going on?

    I had the same exact behavior when I clicked the link for Sean's newsletter post above.

    Happens to me nearly every time also. I just add it up as yet another completely bizarre behavior with new site.

    _______________________________________________________________

    Need help? Help us help you.

    Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

    Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

  • Jeff Moden

    SSC Guru

    Points: 993774

    below86 wrote:

    I was just under the 'Active threads' view/forum.  For this topic I saw there was an update, so I clicked on the time of the last update '26 minutes ago' and it didn't take me to the last update that went with that time stamp.  It took me to the 'previous' page(at the top of the page) of replies(4,247).  Anyone else have this issue?

    Yes... It seems like a recent new behavior because it used to work correctly.  🙁

    --Jeff Moden


    RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
    "If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."--Red Adair
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not."
    When you put the right degree of spin on it, the number 3|8 is also a glyph that describes the nature of a DBAs job. 😉

    Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems

  • below86

    SSChampion

    Points: 11203

    Jeff Moden wrote:

    below86 wrote:

    I was just under the 'Active threads' view/forum.  For this topic I saw there was an update, so I clicked on the time of the last update '26 minutes ago' and it didn't take me to the last update that went with that time stamp.  It took me to the 'previous' page(at the top of the page) of replies(4,247).  Anyone else have this issue?

    Yes... It seems like a recent new behavior because it used to work correctly.  🙁

    It must be the old "fix one thing break two others".  🙂

    -------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us

  • Steve Jones - SSC Editor

    SSC Guru

    Points: 714333

    Luis Cazares wrote:

    jonathan.crawford wrote:

     25 votes, not even two full months old, and they put it back? since when does that happen?

    They might have counted more votes from other places. I saw people asking for them after updating their SSMS.  

     

    Definitely quite a few votes and complaints as well as requests for them to put this back into Viso or somewhere else. I think they realized this is a more heavily used feature than they suspected.

  • Sean Lange

    SSC Guru

    Points: 286388

    And suddenly today I got the first newsletter in my inbox since the new site went live. Maybe it was because I was selecting and deselecting the newsletters a bunch in the last couple days. Weird!!!

    _______________________________________________________________

    Need help? Help us help you.

    Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

    Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

  • Steve Jones - SSC Editor

    SSC Guru

    Points: 714333

    Sean Lange wrote:

    And suddenly today I got the first newsletter in my inbox since the new site went live. Maybe it was because I was selecting and deselecting the newsletters a bunch in the last couple days. Weird!!!

     

    We started resending to you. Your email server gave us a bounce message after the cutover and you went on the bounce list. We took you off it last week.

  • Sean Lange

    SSC Guru

    Points: 286388

    Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

    Sean Lange wrote:

    And suddenly today I got the first newsletter in my inbox since the new site went live. Maybe it was because I was selecting and deselecting the newsletters a bunch in the last couple days. Weird!!!

      We started resending to you. Your email server gave us a bounce message after the cutover and you went on the bounce list. We took you off it last week.

    Ahh that would explain it. Glad to start getting the newsletters again.

    _______________________________________________________________

    Need help? Help us help you.

    Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

    Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

  • Brandie Tarvin

    SSC Guru

    Points: 172500

    Since this thread is a little slow, I thought I'd come over and post a call for help over a non-urgent but highly annoying problem. https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/ssms-standard-reports-error

    If anyone wants to take a stab at this, that is. If not, feel free to enjoy your day and we can all wait to see if New Orleans is about to go underwater again. https://slate.com/business/2019/06/new-orleans-mississippi-river-high-water-climate-change.html

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 63,706 through 63,720 (of 63,727 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply