Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Just to be sure, are you talking about Columbus or Pittsburgh?  I'm assuming "Columbus" because i don't believe Pittsburgh has announced yet.

Columbus, Pittsburgh would be a bit more of a drive than we'd want to make.

• jasona.work wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Just to be sure, are you talking about Columbus or Pittsburgh?  I'm assuming "Columbus" because i don't believe Pittsburgh has announced yet.

Columbus, Pittsburgh would be a bit more of a drive than we'd want to make.

K.  See you there!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Thom A wrote:

In other news, what do you do when 2 CLI languages for your OS's isn't enough: Introduce a third: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/introducing-windows-terminal/ I admit I haven't read too far into it, but I really don't see the point in introducing another new CLI on Windows. People are still using cmd, even though it technically doesn't exist on the latest Windows 10 builds. Personally, I think they would be better focusing on PoSh.

Doesn't look like it's a new language. It's just a terminal app. Since they killed the Powershell ISE, I was using VS Code, but it's been wonky. I'll try this out. Might be great.

Darn - didn't noticed that they were removing the ISE from version 6 - rather annoying as it will force many to install Visual Studio on a server in order to develop scripts that use cmdlets that are not available on windows 10 - or doing those scripts will now become a lot harder

• I'm doing a precon at Columbus.

SPEND YOUR MONEY!!!!!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Thom A wrote:

In other news, what do you do when 2 CLI languages for your OS's isn't enough: Introduce a third: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/introducing-windows-terminal/ I admit I haven't read too far into it, but I really don't see the point in introducing another new CLI on Windows. People are still using cmd, even though it technically doesn't exist on the latest Windows 10 builds. Personally, I think they would be better focusing on PoSh.

Doesn't look like it's a new language. It's just a terminal app. Since they killed the Powershell ISE, I was using VS Code, but it's been wonky. I'll try this out. Might be great.

Darn - didn't noticed that they were removing the ISE from version 6 - rather annoying as it will force many to install Visual Studio on a server in order to develop scripts that use cmdlets that are not available on windows 10 - or doing those scripts will now become a lot harder

Another testament to the old adage of "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not". 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I'm torn on that one. I know it's a bad idea, and it's bad for business and customers. Just too many developers/admins think this isn't a big deal. "I've locked this down to other admins" and they think that's fine. The lessons of loss just don't rub off until someone experiences the issue themselves. No idea how to teach this, other than to provide some examples and try to get them to rethink their practice.

At the same time, I get that some people have this process and they need to follow it, regardless of how stupid it is. I want to ensure I can help the, get their job done, and hopefully learn to get better over time. cultural change is hard and takes time, so I want to remind them, educate them, but also remember they need to get work done to stay employed. After tall, they can probably do this much worse, so maybe I can help them figure out how to decrypt things, but then ensure they have a role and have locked this thing down so it is more protected.

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

I'm doing a precon at Columbus. SPEND YOUR MONEY!!!!!

Heh... Grant is fantastic at teaching but sucks when it comes to self promotion or promotion for a cause. 😀 😀 😀

Here are a couple of links.  The first is the EventBrite signup for Grant's precon in Columbus, OH on Friday, June 7th.  The abstract and Grant's bio are on that first link and the second link, which is the link to the Columbus, OH SQL Saturday on Saturday, June 8th.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sql-server-tools-for-query-performance-tuning-with-grant-fritchey-tickets-55657776909

Grant's precon is on one of his favorite subjects... finding performance issues and makes a deep dive on new tools for 2016 and 2017 and some older tools that still work that you might not already know about.  That short description doesn't do justice to the precon... click on the link above and check out the abstract.  Also see that, at only $100, the precon is a whole lot less expensive than other precons even though such a well known expert on the subject is presenting.  The PASS Chapter in Columbus will also get a cut of that to cover expenses for the room, etc.

The link for the Columbus, OH SQLSaturday on June 8th is...

https://www.sqlsaturday.com/861/eventhome.aspx

If you dive into the "Sessions" tab and click on  "Schedule", you'll find that Grant is also presenting "Extending DevOps To SQL Server" in the second time slot.  Bummer for me because I'm in the first two time slots and so won't be able to attend Grant's session (and, damn it!  It always seems to work out that way!).

Anyway, if you sign up for Grant's precon, it'll be one of the best c-notes you or your company will have ever spent.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

The lessons of loss just don't rub off until someone experiences the issue themselves. No idea how to teach this, other than to provide some examples and try to get them to rethink their practice.

Considering the recent events on this site and the huge losses in functionality, you're preaching to the choir there.  😉

The impetus seems to have been lost.  Any idea when important things like restoring attachments (formally known as the "Resources" section) to pre-migration articles and the ability to attach items on forums, etc, etc, will be repaired?

As a bit of a sidebar, I'm really happy that you folks got an SEO website but it's actually costing you some sales.  I'll send you an email with some details later.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

I'm doing a precon at Columbus. SPEND YOUR MONEY!!!!!

Heh... Grant is fantastic at teaching but sucks when it comes to self promotion or promotion for a cause. 😀 😀 😀 Here are a couple of links.  The first is the EventBrite signup for Grant's precon in Columbus, OH on Friday, June 7th.  The abstract and Grant's bio are on that first link and the second link, which is the link to the Columbus, OH SQL Saturday on Saturday, June 8th. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sql-server-tools-for-query-performance-tuning-with-grant-fritchey-tickets-55657776909 Grant's precon is on one of his favorite subjects... finding performance issues and makes a deep dive on new tools for 2016 and 2017 and some older tools that still work that you might not already know about.  That short description doesn't do justice to the precon... click on the link above and check out the abstract.  Also see that, at only $100, the precon is a whole lot less expensive than other precons even though such a well known expert on the subject is presenting.  The PASS Chapter in Columbus will also get a cut of that to cover expenses for the room, etc.   The link for the Columbus, OH SQLSaturday on June 8th is... https://www.sqlsaturday.com/861/eventhome.aspx If you dive into the "Sessions" tab and click on  "Schedule", you'll find that Grant is also presenting "Extending DevOps To SQL Server" in the second time slot.  Bummer for me because I'm in the first two time slots and so won't be able to attend Grant's session (and, damn it!  It always seems to work out that way!).   Anyway, if you sign up for Grant's precon, it'll be one of the best c-notes you or your company will have ever spent.

I'd love to sign up for it, but looking at the times, well, the wife won't even be getting off work until ~1:00-1:30 that day, and I might be working until 3:30...

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Considering the recent events on this site and the huge losses in functionality, you're preaching to the choir there.  😉   The impetus seems to have been lost.  Any idea when important things like restoring attachments (formally known as the "Resources" section) to pre-migration articles and the ability to attach items on forums, etc, etc, will be repaired?   As a bit of a sidebar, I'm really happy that you folks got an SEO website but it's actually costing you some sales.  I'll send you an email with some details later.

I know you complain about losses, but for I've gotten lots of praise for the changes to the site being more modern and some things working much better. We are starting to trend up with Google as well after the reindex, where we'd been trending down because of poor mobile rendering late last year.

Resources are a high priority item now. They were less important than other things, and somehow they worked at one point and got lost in the actual migration, so there's a need to go back and recheck the migration scripts and start moving things forward. I'm hoping by Tue/Wed this gets fixed.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Considering the recent events on this site and the huge losses in functionality, you're preaching to the choir there.  😉   The impetus seems to have been lost.  Any idea when important things like restoring attachments (formally known as the "Resources" section) to pre-migration articles and the ability to attach items on forums, etc, etc, will be repaired?   As a bit of a sidebar, I'm really happy that you folks got an SEO website but it's actually costing you some sales.  I'll send you an email with some details later.

I know you complain about losses, but for I've gotten lots of praise for the changes to the site being more modern and some things working much better. We are starting to trend up with Google as well after the reindex, where we'd been trending down because of poor mobile rendering late last year. Resources are a high priority item now. They were less important than other things, and somehow they worked at one point and got lost in the actual migration, so there's a need to go back and recheck the migration scripts and start moving things forward. I'm hoping by Tue/Wed this gets fixed.

I can't speak for anyone else (although you've seen the complaints so I shouldn't have to... they speak for themselves) but the only thing that I've seen that even comes close to better is the ability to copy'n'paste code.  Almost everything else is much worse than it has even been.  While the community at SSC may still be #1 in the world, the site itself is not and, IMHO, is now making more sucking sounds than it ever has.  I'm seriously disappointed that RedGate isn't bringing more guns to bear on the issue.

And, it's becoming a chore for me... I had to provide the code for the Hierarchies On Steroids #2 article this morning because the attachments to the article are no longer available.

I don't know who's been telling you the site is better but you won't hear that from this particular user and I just can't bring myself to apologizing for expressing that opinion in such a blunt manner.  While the SSC vehicle might look really nice to a lot of people, they're actually unqualified to judge it because they obviously don't understand that you replaced the V-6 with a squirrel cage and a nearly dead squirrel instead of going for the V-8.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

I'm getting near the end of my tether with Windows 10.  The latest "upgrade" disabled all PDF handling software such as Foxit and Acrobat and Nitro except MS's own more than somewhat inadequate stuff.  Being forced to use that inadequate stuff I now find that 1 in 3 of the 9 monthly accounts I get in PDF from banks and credit card providers and providers of power, water, telecoms and so on is beyond the capability of the MS software even to display correctly, let alone print - the blotched mulled mess it displays on the screen is utterly illegible.

As I have a couple of old machines that have earlier OSs (Windows XP pro or even earlier) installed and are not network connected I guess I can put the files on memory sticks and use an old machine to display them, but that's far from ideal.  Of course MS aren't the slightest bit interested in complaints about this sort of nonsense, and have a really wonderful "complaints service" that they tell you to use which records nothing and either suggests you go ask in the forum (which is a waste of time as there isn't a fix for this) or pay for support (because their software not working is your problem,not theirs); and they give you what is supposed to be an email address for their big white chief, which is well know as a way to waste your time without any hope of triggering any response (not even an acknowledgement) from MS.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  TomThomson.

Tom

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else (although you've seen the complaints so I shouldn't have to... they speak for themselves) but the only thing that I've seen that even comes close to better is the ability to copy'n'paste code.  Almost everything else is much worse than it has even been.  While the community at SSC may still be #1 in the world, the site itself is not and, IMHO, is now making more sucking sounds than it ever has.  I'm seriously disappointed that RedGate isn't bringing more guns to bear on the issue. And, it's becoming a chore for me... I had to provide the code for the Hierarchies On Steroids #2 article this morning because the attachments to the article are no longer available. I don't know who's been telling you the site is better but you won't hear that from this particular user and I just can't bring myself to apologizing for expressing that opinion in such a blunt manner.  While the SSC vehicle might look really nice to a lot of people, they're actually unqualified to judge it because they obviously don't understand that you replaced the V-6 with a squirrel cage and a nearly dead squirrel instead of going for the V-8.

I have to say I am strongly in agreement with Jeff on this.   In fact I'm inclined to say that the SSC site is suffering from customer friendliness at the level of Microsoft's dealing with small Windows 10 users and an improvement programme like LinkedIn's "improvements" to the group discussion software during and after the their run-up to take over by MS, which has rendered it very close to unusable.  The number of complaints I see here is much smaller than the number of complaints I see in one small group on LinkedIn, presumably because most of the users trust you to fix the problems in the new system quite quickly, but if you continue to behave like LinkedIn and Microsoft you will be unlikely to keep that trust for very long.

Tom

• TomThomson wrote:

frederico_fonseca wrote:

I'm getting near the end of my tether with Windows 10.  The latest "upgrade" disabled all PDF handling software such as Foxit and Acrobat and Nitro except MS's own more than somewhat inadequate stuff. 

Does this help? https://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums/content?query=windows+10+update

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• So I attended the PASS High Availability webinar last week on "Your AG might not be as "available" as you think" and it was pretty interesting. But one odd thing stood out to me. Apparently the guy who gave the webinar believes most people use linked servers wrong. So I went googling to see if he'd ever blogged about it and couldn't find anything.

So in the interests of finding out more about this, does anyone know what this particular subject might be about? What is it about linked servers that people are using wrong? Any thoughts on the subject?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 63,526 through 63,540 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply