Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Hey Barry,

Great to hear from you again.

Yeah, we sold everything to Oracle. Like it?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• This is RIDICULOUS. I've barely touched MySQL let alone coded in it. But I took the Pluralsight assessment test anyway and below are my results.

Is Pluralsight pulling a prank or is MySQL really that similar to T-SQL/SQL Server that my score isn't that surprising to you guys?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Hey Grant, Steve.  Good to hear from you guys.

Something else weird, you guys replied to me in like an hour.  But I've been rechecking here every couple of hours, and it only just now showed me your replies.  Not sure if I was doing something wrong?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• There is some caching we're still tuning, since the load of the forums at times is overwhelming.

• Welcome back, Barry.  Hope you're doing well.  I still give credit to you for the term "Pseudo Cursor" all the time.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Welcome back, Barry.  Hope you're doing well.  I still give credit to you for the term "Pseudo Cursor" all the time.

Yeah, you do.  And all this time, you were just an inactive avatar I saw every once in a while. 🙂

• Well, crud... I resurrected an old "Passport" disk and found my old animated "Death Star" explosion of rebar but the new forum apparently doesn't support animated GIFs.  Had to "settle" for the ol' No RBAR sign.  Bummer.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Well, crud... I resurrected an old "Passport" disk and found my old animated "Death Star" explosion of rebar but the new forum apparently doesn't support animated GIFs.  Had to "settle" for the ol' No RBAR sign.  Bummer.

At least the avatar configuration is working now.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Well that was amusing...

I just signed in using the link at the bottom of the thread here, and initially didn't realize it kicked me back to the last reply on page 1...

Was trying to figure out why the post showing wasn't Luis' reply about the avatars working.

😀

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Well, crud... I resurrected an old "Passport" disk and found my old animated "Death Star" explosion of rebar but the new forum apparently doesn't support animated GIFs.  Had to "settle" for the ol' No RBAR sign.  Bummer.

Another giant leap backwards.  So sad.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• below86 wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Heh... I wouldn't call it a "giant leap backwards" but I was definitely fond of that avatar.  However, if they spend even a second of time considering that as a problem before they fix attachments to posts/articles and links to the rest of the world that has copied old hard coded links... well... I think that would be a huge misuse of Developer time.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

below86 wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Heh... I wouldn't call it a "giant leap backwards" but I was definitely fond of that avatar.  However, if they spend even a second of time considering that as a problem before they fix attachments to posts/articles and links to the rest of the world that has copied old hard coded links... well... I think that would be a huge misuse of Developer time.

I couldn't agree more on that one - the loss of all the attachments to the articles is a big one.

The support for GIF seems like such a trivial and pointless problem that shouldn't even exist.  I mean, the internet was built on jpg, gif and png.  To arbitrarily remove support for one of them just seems silly.  It's not a leap, but definitely a move backwards.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

below86 wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

However, if they spend even a second of time considering that as a problem before they fix attachments to posts/articles and links to the rest of the world that has copied old hard coded links... well... I think that would be a huge misuse of Developer time.

I'd take a slightly different tack on this.  If it's something a developer can fix quickly because it's something simple, get it done.  Quickly, of course, is entirely subjective (my feeling?  Get it fixed in one working day or less, go for it, more than a day, back-burner.)

• jasona.work wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

below86 wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

However, if they spend even a second of time considering that as a problem before they fix attachments to posts/articles and links to the rest of the world that has copied old hard coded links... well... I think that would be a huge misuse of Developer time.

I'd take a slightly different tack on this.  If it's something a developer can fix quickly because it's something simple, get it done.  Quickly, of course, is entirely subjective (my feeling?  Get it fixed in one working day or less, go for it, more than a day, back-burner.)

If it takes an entire day to fix support for animated gifs then something is seriously broken in the architecture because that should be super simple.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

below86 wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

If it takes an entire day to fix support for animated gifs then something is seriously broken in the architecture because that should be super simple.

If you consider the time spent on writing the story/bug, point it, plan it on a sprint, start the sprint, attend the daily stand up, work on it, document it, create a branch on git, review the changes, merge the branch, deploy the changes to QA, test that nothing broke, remind the developer to document something they missed, demo it, approve the fix, assign to a release, deploy the release, and all those things that I forgot to include, then a day seems about right.  ^_^'

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 15 posts - 63,391 through 63,405 (of 66,569 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply