Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, January 1, 2019 6:45 AM

Happy new year everyone!
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Just wondering if some of the responses are getting really worse?

Look at that person's other responses.  He's done such things before.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, January 1, 2019 8:15 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, January 1, 2019 6:45 AM

Happy new year everyone!
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Just wondering if some of the responses are getting really worse?

Look at that person's other responses.  He's done such things before.

Reported it as a spam, which it was.
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Points are redeemable for smiles and hugs. Occasionally someone will get 100,000 and maybe get a drink as a reward. I think 1mm is dinner.

• Has "The Thread" died? I haven't seen anything new in too long now.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:17 AM

Has "The Thread" died? I haven't seen anything new in too long now.

There's been nothing new on it for at least 7 minutes now.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    โ€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• WayneS - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:17 AM

Heh... it'll be interesting to see how the upcoming migration of SSC to a new forum (WordPress backbone, IIRC) handles "the thread".  Hopefully, your observation isn't a prediction. ๐Ÿ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:37 AM

WayneS - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:17 AM

Heh... it'll be interesting to see how the upcoming migration of SSC to a new forum (WordPress backbone, IIRC) handles "the thread".  Hopefully, your observation isn't a prediction. ๐Ÿ˜€

It's disappeared after a migration in the past.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Neil Burton - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:39 AM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:37 AM

It disappeared before when the spam code thought it was spam.

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:51 AM

Neil Burton - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:39 AM

That's the one.

• Neil Burton - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:54 AM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:51 AM

That's the one.

I remember that.  It was mostly restored.

You know, Neil, I really enjoy the quote from Charles Babbage in your signature.  The inability comprehend "the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question" is something I have to deal with all too frequently at work.  It isn't quite daily, but almost.

• Hey all!

I will participate in a 24 hour snooker marathon next month, where I attempt to raise money for War Child.
    If anyone here feels inclined to contribute, here is a link to the GoFundMe page: Snooker for Warchild

Please only contribute if you want to, not if you feel obligated.
    Thanks in advance!

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Ed Wagner - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 11:50 AM

Neil Burton - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:54 AM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 8:51 AM

That's the one.

I remember that.  It was mostly restored.

You know, Neil, I really enjoy the quote from Charles Babbage in your signature.  The inability comprehend "the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question" is something I have to deal with all too frequently at work.  It isn't quite daily, but almost.

Thanks Ed, it was a quote I'd read years ago in a previous life and then when I started in the BI trade it suddenly became extremely apt.

'Why doesn't this report show me last week's installations?'
    'It's the report to show you next week's decoms'

• Hugo Kornelis - Tuesday, January 8, 2019 3:13 PM

Hey all!

I will participate in a 24 hour snooker marathon next month, where I attempt to raise money for War Child.
    If anyone here feels inclined to contribute, here is a link to the GoFundMe page: Snooker for Warchild

Please only contribute if you want to, not if you feel obligated.
    Thanks in advance!

Hi Hugo, I've made a modest donation to your cause. Good luck to you on the day.
    Here at Reward I've set up a team to take on the Isle of Wight 2019 Challenge, in May. I'll be walking around the island with two or three colleagues, 65 miles in about 20 hours nonstop. We have others running, rowing, swimming and cycling. We're collecting on behalf of the NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children), of which our CEO is president.
    Here's our funding page.

โ€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.โ€ - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• The Google Translate person/bot is at it again on this thread: https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/456434/Can-you-recover-data-from-transaction-log?PageIndex=2 (I reported it so it should have gone now).

Tiny screenshot, sorry.

• Also Lincoln Burrows is bumping a LOT of very old threads for seemingly no reason :ermm:.

Viewing 15 posts - 62,911 through 62,925 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply