Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Gail Shaw wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Well, with the new leaderboard (https://www.sqlservercentral.com/contributors), we have our first millionaire.

Yay. Um, so what are those points redeemable for again? 🙂

Not on the list so I cannot even start to contemplate on the "rewards", my guess it's more down to FILO when it comes to buying the rounds 😉

😎

• Gail Shaw wrote:

Well, with the new leaderboard (https://www.sqlservercentral.com/contributors), we have our first millionaire.

Everlasting Glory!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Gail Shaw wrote:

Everlasting Glory!

I hope not this kind: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7878311-to-the-everlasting-glory-of-the-infantry-shines-the-name

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  Gail Shaw.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • WayneS wrote:

In this new software, is there a way to set the # of posts to view on a page? I have always used 50, but now it only gives me 15.

Not right now. There are few "per user" settings. I've filed an item to revisit this.

• Re: redeemable for what: "RedGate is happy to present for you an extremely talented and active member of the SQL Community at this year's Pass Summit"......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• When I came back to work Monday I was initially excited to see we were on the new version of SSC.  My excitement quickly faded.

I read Steve's article the other day about "You're not really good at SQL Server".    The line "You aren’t that good at your jobs" really sticks out to me.  While I may not "know" everything I should know, I feel, and my employer feels I'm damn good at my job.  But that's away from my point.  I would like to say whoever designed this new version "isn't that good at their job".   Now I can't totally blame the people who coded this steaming pile of you know what.  I think the blame has to go to the people who reviewed this design and gave it the green light.  One has to wonder if they are also very good at their jobs, or if their views can be trusted.   Now before I left for my vacation I had seen the links to go out and review the new version for my self, but there just wasn't enough time to get that done.

While Steve's article may have been a little harsh, I'm sure some will see my critic of the new site as a bit harsh.  But we are all adults and should be able to handle it.

I would be curious to know if the traffic on this site has slowed since the new version, I know I find myself coming out here less.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• Great name for a beer!

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Gail Shaw wrote:

Everlasting Glory!

Great name for a beer!

And...I'm going to reserve any judgement on this new software until myself and others have had a darned good play with it and become familiar with it. Fifteen years on the old software will take a while to lament.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work wrote:

Great name for a beer!

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Gail Shaw wrote:

Everlasting Glory!

Great name for a beer!   And...I'm going to reserve any judgement on this new software until myself and others have had a darned good play with it and become familiar with it. Fifteen years on the old software will take a while to lament.

I agree, the new software is not entirely bad and issues are getting solved. Sure, we all liked the things we know, but sometimes change is necessary. If the new software will allow this site to continue to improve, I'm all for it. Let's just give it some time to complete the transition.

And I also agree on the beer name. I wonder if someone has come up with the idea.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • below86 wrote:

When I came back to work Monday I was initially excited to see we were on the new version of SSC.  My excitement quickly faded. I read Steve's article the other day about "You're not really good at SQL Server".    The line "You aren’t that good at your jobs" really sticks out to me.  While I may not "know" everything I should know, I feel, and my employer feels I'm damn good at my job.  But that's away from my point.  I would like to say whoever designed this new version "isn't that good at their job".   Now I can't totally blame the people who coded this steaming pile of you know what.  I think the blame has to go to the people who reviewed this design and gave it the green light.  One has to wonder if they are also very good at their jobs, or if their views can be trusted.   Now before I left for my vacation I had seen the links to go out and review the new version for my self, but there just wasn't enough time to get that done. While Steve's article may have been a little harsh, I'm sure some will see my critic of the new site as a bit harsh.  But we are all adults and should be able to handle it. I would be curious to know if the traffic on this site has slowed since the new version, I know I find myself coming out here less.

While I agree the new site has some major problems it also has to be said that you are partly to blame. You didn't find the time to help test and point out the issues. This site is free and doesn't generate much revenue (only the few ads and that can't amount to much). They were relying on the current user base to help and it seems that far too many of us fell into the trap of not putting in the effort to help.

I myself did do some testing but it is difficult to test all aspects of the site without some kind of plan. I obviously didn't test as many aspects as I should have. So many things are just buggy or plain bizarre. However, they have made quite a few improvements over the last week or so. However, I have found myself here a lot less since the last improvement a couple of years ago.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• And this thread just keeps on keeping on...

This is a pure rant, so read at your own risk.

I have been involved in the interview process for a senior sql developer at my company and have yet to find a candidate possessing even intermediate-level knowledge.   Two different people have told me that the questions I ask are "brutal."   (What is a covering index?   Do you use WITH(NOLOCK)?   If so why?   How would you make sure that an insert to table A followed by an update to table B is treated as a single atomic transaction?)

The candidates are supposedly being screened before they get to the interview, and all look godlike on paper.    Looking at a resume' appears to be wasted time.     Am I just being too demanding, or have any of y'all had a similar experience?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The Dixie Flatline wrote:

And this thread just keeps on keeping on... This is a pure rant, so read at your own risk. I have been involved in the interview process for a senior sql developer at my company and have yet to find a candidate possessing even intermediate-level knowledge.   Two different people have told me that the questions I ask are "brutal."   (What is a covering index?   Do you use WITH(NOLOCK)?   If so why?   How would you make sure that an insert to table A followed by an update to table B is treated as a single atomic transaction?) The candidates are supposedly being screened before they get to the interview, and all look godlike on paper.    Looking at a resume' appears to be wasted time.     Am I just being too demanding, or have any of y'all had a similar experience?

I've totally experienced that. I've got plenty of people that are applying for a SQL development role but can't write a JOIN. Some candidates even "explained" the differences between a LEFT JOIN and an OUTER JOIN.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Sean Lange wrote:

below86 wrote:

When I came back to work Monday I was initially excited to see we were on the new version of SSC.  My excitement quickly faded. I read Steve's article the other day about "You're not really good at SQL Server".    The line "You aren’t that good at your jobs" really sticks out to me.  While I may not "know" everything I should know, I feel, and my employer feels I'm damn good at my job.  But that's away from my point.  I would like to say whoever designed this new version "isn't that good at their job".   Now I can't totally blame the people who coded this steaming pile of you know what.  I think the blame has to go to the people who reviewed this design and gave it the green light.  One has to wonder if they are also very good at their jobs, or if their views can be trusted.   Now before I left for my vacation I had seen the links to go out and review the new version for my self, but there just wasn't enough time to get that done. While Steve's article may have been a little harsh, I'm sure some will see my critic of the new site as a bit harsh.  But we are all adults and should be able to handle it. I would be curious to know if the traffic on this site has slowed since the new version, I know I find myself coming out here less.

While I agree the new site has some major problems it also has to be said that you are partly to blame. You didn't find the time to help test and point out the issues. This site is free and doesn't generate much revenue (only the few ads and that can't amount to much). They were relying on the current user base to help and it seems that far too many of us fell into the trap of not putting in the effort to help. I myself did do some testing but it is difficult to test all aspects of the site without some kind of plan. I obviously didn't test as many aspects as I should have. So many things are just buggy or plain bizarre. However, they have made quite a few improvements over the last week or so. However, I have found myself here a lot less since the last improvement a couple of years ago.

I agree Sean, and I admitted I did no testing.  But my point was more directed to those who thought that this version was an improvement.  Those that saw this before it was even rolled out for us to test.   Almost 20 years ago I designed some intranet web pages to look almost identical to the mainframe CICS screens.  While the software behind the scenes was completely new the look to the user remained almost the same.  That was me hard coding the HTML tags in a text editor.  I would think that they could have kept some of the more visually appealing aspects of the old site but completely upgraded what was behind the scenes.   This reminds me of how Mircosoft, IMHO, made the newer versions of Visual Studio 'uglier' with the new versions, than say 2008.(not saying anything about functionality, just looks)  I'm all for upgrading and refreshing the look, just make sure it is better than what you had before, again IMHO.

• The Dixie Flatline wrote:

And this thread just keeps on keeping on... This is a pure rant, so read at your own risk. I have been involved in the interview process for a senior sql developer at my company and have yet to find a candidate possessing even intermediate-level knowledge.   Two different people have told me that the questions I ask are "brutal."   (What is a covering index?   Do you use WITH(NOLOCK)?   If so why?   How would you make sure that an insert to table A followed by an update to table B is treated as a single atomic transaction?) The candidates are supposedly being screened before they get to the interview, and all look godlike on paper.    Looking at a resume' appears to be wasted time.     Am I just being too demanding, or have any of y'all had a similar experience?

Similar experiences. I really think lots of people have 1-2 years of experience that is then multiplied out to their current time-in-rate. Your questions honestly don't sound that tough either. One of my was "What's the difference between a deadlock and a block?" I even spelled out the words so there would be no confusion. Almost every single time, I got a careful explanation of blocking followed by an equally careful explanation of blocking (no, not typos).

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Luis Cazares wrote:

ChrisM@Work wrote:

Great name for a beer!

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Gail Shaw wrote:

Everlasting Glory!

Great name for a beer!   And...I'm going to reserve any judgement on this new software until myself and others have had a darned good play with it and become familiar with it. Fifteen years on the old software will take a while to lament.

I agree, the new software is not entirely bad and issues are getting solved. Sure, we all liked the things we know, but sometimes change is necessary. If the new software will allow this site to continue to improve, I'm all for it. Let's just give it some time to complete the transition. And I also agree on the beer name. I wonder if someone has come up with the idea.

The new design seems to be moving towards a mobile centric design which I generally dislike when I'm not on a mobile device.  Take advantage of that screen space I have in the X axis, stop cramming everything into the middle of the screen with minimalistic interfaces.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  ZZartin.
  • ZZartin wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

ChrisM@Work wrote:

Great name for a beer!

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Gail Shaw wrote:

Everlasting Glory!

I agree, the new software is not entirely bad and issues are getting solved. Sure, we all liked the things we know, but sometimes change is necessary. If the new software will allow this site to continue to improve, I'm all for it. Let's just give it some time to complete the transition. And I also agree on the beer name. I wonder if someone has come up with the idea.

The new design seems to be moving towards a mobile centric design which I generally dislike when I'm not on a mobile device.  Take advantage of that screen space I have in the X axis, stop cramming everything into the middle of the screen with minimalistic interfaces.

BINGO!!  I would guess over 90% of the people who come to this site are not on a mobile device.  So why do we cater to such a small group and make the rest of us suffer?

Viewing 15 posts - 63,286 through 63,300 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply