Are the posted questions getting worse?

• You know, I don't think that it is that the questions are getting worse.  I think it is that the people asking questions are just in way over their head even with the simple stuff.

• Ed Wagner - Friday, January 5, 2018 5:38 AM

jasona.work - Friday, January 5, 2018 5:31 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Friday, January 5, 2018 5:27 AM

And yes, I just womansplained how to change a car battery. Feels good to be the one doing the "splaining" for once. @=)

😀:hehe:
    *I'm* not complaining.

Most stores that sell car batteries will also take the old ones for recycling, at a fee, of course.
    Because I'm lazy and don't feel like freezing my hands off I'm going to call my dealer and see what it would cost there, first...

Yeah, the disposal (at least here in Michigan) is pretty simple.  I don't blame you for not wanting to do it yourself.  It's -5 F this morning and the real feel temp is -20 F according to the radio.  If you have a favorite garage where you take your car, I'm sure they'll have sources where they can get your battery.  There's also the dealer.  Of course, if a shop buys it, you'll pay the markup on it, but the labor shouldn't be bad.  The obvious exception is if you're driving an exotic car, which you'd better not be driving in the winter.

Thought when they sell batteries, they are required by law to take your old one. They may charge you a core charge, which you get back for the old battery. Core charge is usually close to actually scrap price you'd get for the lead value of the battery.
    Sometimes labor may be a bit more than expected. There can be things like fuse blocks that appear to allow enough room, but in reality need to be disconnected and moved out of the way.
    Most also require you to have a jumper to supply juice to ECU / security system while you replace battery.
    So if you replace it yourself, but does not start or the radio needs to be reset by the dealer, you might end up spending more.
    Lazy only comes to mind if you have done it before to this vehicle, and indeed know it is only 5 minutes.

• Greg Edwards-268690 - Friday, January 5, 2018 8:03 AM

Ed Wagner - Friday, January 5, 2018 5:38 AM

And yes, I just womansplained how to change a car battery. Feels good to be the one doing the "splaining" for once. @=)

*I'm* not complaining.

Most stores that sell car batteries will also take the old ones for recycling, at a fee, of course.
    Because I'm lazy and don't feel like freezing my hands off I'm going to call my dealer and see what it would cost there, first...

Yeah, the disposal (at least here in Michigan) is pretty simple.  I don't blame you for not wanting to do it yourself.  It's -5 F this morning and the real feel temp is -20 F according to the radio.  If you have a favorite garage where you take your car, I'm sure they'll have sources where they can get your battery.  There's also the dealer.  Of course, if a shop buys it, you'll pay the markup on it, but the labor shouldn't be bad.  The obvious exception is if you're driving an exotic car, which you'd better not be driving in the winter.

Thought when they sell batteries, they are required by law to take your old one. They may charge you a core charge, which you get back for the old battery. Core charge is usually close to actually scrap price you'd get for the lead value of the battery.
    Sometimes labor may be a bit more than expected. There can be things like fuse blocks that appear to allow enough room, but in reality need to be disconnected and moved out of the way.
    Most also require you to have a jumper to supply juice to ECU / security system while you replace battery.
    So if you replace it yourself, but does not start or the radio needs to be reset by the dealer, you might end up spending more.
    Lazy only comes to mind if you have done it before to this vehicle, and indeed know it is only 5 minutes.

Most auto parts stores I know in my area will replace the battery at no charge.  Of course that means you have to be able to get the car there to have them do the work.

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:49 PM

I commuted from Colorado Springs to Denver for 15 years.  At my first employer, a 90 mile one way drive, I drove in during a snow storm (coming over Monument Hill ) to be greeted by my boss with the comment "What are you doing here?" to which I replied "I work here."  His follow-up response was "there were people who lived in Denver calling in that they couldn't make it to work."  I told him to call them back and tell them if I could make it they can make it.

hahaha.....I hate people like you.....lol

working from home rocks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, January 5, 2018 8:22 AM

Greg Edwards-268690 - Friday, January 5, 2018 8:03 AM

Ed Wagner - Friday, January 5, 2018 5:38 AM

*I'm* not complaining.

Most auto parts stores I know in my area will replace the battery at no charge.  Of course that means you have to be able to get the car there to have them do the work.

Well, jump-started the car from the wife's car before she left for work and took it up to the dealer I take it to for oil changes.
    Only ran me $160 including labor (local auto-parts place quoted $140+20 core fee for a battery,) so really broke even (other than not needing to freeze my tail off doing it.)

Nice thing about my car, the battery is on the passenger side by the firewall, but not blocked in / covered by anything, so really if it hadn't been so cold (we were at ~-5F this morning, right now we're at +2F) I would've done it myself.

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, January 5, 2018 7:56 AM

You know, I don't think that it is that the questions are getting worse.  I think it is that the people asking questions are just in way over their head even with the simple stuff.

Anyone particular in mind for this thought, Lynn?

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, January 5, 2018 9:41 AM

Lynn Pettis - Friday, January 5, 2018 7:56 AM

You know, I don't think that it is that the questions are getting worse.  I think it is that the people asking questions are just in way over their head even with the simple stuff.

Not just one but several over the past several days that I have read.

• jasona.work - Friday, January 5, 2018 5:31 AM

*I'm* not complaining.

Actually, most stores that sell car batteries not only take the old ones for recycling, but charge you a core charge if you don't exchange the old one. There usually isn't a charge for the exchange as long as you bought a battery there at the same time, or have a receipt showing that you paid the core charge (which they then refund).

Edit: and if I had bothered to read the rest of the thread first, I would have seen that others have already made this same comment.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS - Friday, January 5, 2018 10:27 AM

*I'm* not complaining.

Actually, most stores that sell car batteries not only take the old ones for recycling, but charge you a core charge if you don't exchange the old one. There usually isn't a charge for the exchange as long as you bought a battery there at the same time, or have a receipt showing that you paid the core charge (which they then refund).

Edit: and if I had bothered to read the rest of the thread first, I would have seen that others have already made this same comment.

LOL Wayne. I was guilty of the same thing.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, January 5, 2018 9:44 AM

Thom A - Friday, January 5, 2018 9:41 AM

Not just one but several over the past several days that I have read.

And we have another one to add to the list.  How about not knowing how to use a subquery when they are using a subquery?  No, not linking to it, just adding an example about being out of one's depth.

• Well this is going to be a fun week to patch...
    Security software is saying "PATCH NOW!"
    Ops guys haven't downloaded the patches to their storage location yet...
    Microsoft Security Center and download center are both timing out on the office network so I can't download them myself...

Hmm...
    I wonder where this DVD-R on my desk with "Jan2018 MS Updates" written on it will come from tomorrow...

• jasona.work - Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6:33 AM

Well this is going to be a fun week to patch...
    Microsoft Security Center and download center are both timing out on the office network so I can't download them myself...

Hmm...
    I wonder where this DVD-R on my desk with "Jan2018 MS Updates" written on it will come from tomorrow...

Heh, I called up and Application's Support Desk yesterday, as I saw that the patches for SUSE were out (thanks Steve!). The Servers the Applications are hosted on are "sealed" units ( well they're VMs now, but we don't have access to the OS), so I thought I'd ask what they're plans were for patching the Servers, and if the TRIPOS Host also needs to be updated. The server's have access to the outside world, so we'd like to ensure that they're covered.

I could "hear" the eyes glazing over of the guy on the other end of the phone as I mentioned "Meltdown" and "Spectre"; literally had no idea what I meant. I got the email through this morning with what my call log was about, and they'd logged it as vert low urgency, and had no details at all related to my actual concerns. /facepalm

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:24 AM

jasona.work - Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6:33 AM

Well this is going to be a fun week to patch...

Hmm...

Heh, I called up and Application's Support Desk yesterday, as I saw that the patches for SUSE were out (thanks Steve!). The Servers the Applications are hosted on are "sealed" units ( well they're VMs now, but we don't have access to the OS), so I thought I'd ask what they're plans were for patching the Servers, and if the TRIPOS Host also needs to be updated. The server's have access to the outside world, so we'd like to ensure that they're covered.

I could "hear" the eyes glazing over of the guy on the other end of the phone as I mentioned "Meltdown" and "Spectre"; literally had no idea what I meant. I got the email through this morning with what my call log was about, and they'd logged it as vert low urgency, and had no details at all related to my actual concerns. /facepalm

I had to tell Kylie about this, she laughed.
    She was the only student in the Cyber class she is taking this trimester to hear about it when the professor asked if any one had heard of "Meltdown" or "Spectre."  Of course I had spammed her email accounts with the information while she was visiting family in the DC area last week.

• Thom A - Friday, January 5, 2018 9:41 AM

Heh... damned near everyone, I'd say.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, January 9, 2018 10:19 AM

I had to tell Kylie about this, she laughed.
    She was the only student in the Cyber class she is taking this trimester to hear about it when the professor asked if any one had heard of "Meltdown" or "Spectre."  Of course I had spammed her email accounts with the information while she was visiting family in the DC area last week.

Im going to chase up tomorrow after they've had 48 hours to consider my question. I'll update you with the comedy answer then 🙂

Thom~

Larnu.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 60,916 through 60,930 (of 66,551 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply