Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I'm on the phone, so I can't past links (SSC "feature") however I searched "Heathrow airport snow contingency plan", and the second link is the final review of that document you linked (about 79 pages long). It has Beat Practices and stuff in there.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:28 AM

I'm on the phone, so I can't past links (SSC "feature") however I searched "Heathrow airport snow contingency plan", and the second link is the final review of that document you linked (about 79 pages long). It has Beat Practices and stuff in there.

A six year old plan with no updates? Well, that makes sense. Horrible, awful sense, but sense.

This seems to be it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Back at the desk now: https://www.caa.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4294975948

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, December 14, 2017 5:48 AM

So this article hits a little close to home (the references to poverty are so true).

So how do we (the "Olds") fix this?

OK, I managed to get about 1/3 of the way through the article (I think) before the formatting style and such just caused my eyes to start bleeding...

That being said, yes the Millenials have had some bad luck with the state of things (economy, job market, etc.)  BUT using one of the interviewees in the article, the guy who went out for a degree, got it, then couldn't get a job as a bank teller and started working as a bus driver (with better benefits and pay than the bank teller job would've given,) is he really worse off?  It seems that what tends to happen in the job market is, some profession, for whatever reason, sees a massive rise (in pay,) then lots of people pursue that profession in their education and by the time they graduate the hiring market is now glutted, the pay rates and available jobs plummet, so now the graduates are stuck with a degree that doesn't offer much help elsewhere.
    Think Drs, financiers (Wall St,) programmers...
    It's like "investing" in something.  If you don't get in early before everyone else, you're going to get screwed.

As for fixing it, I don't see that there's any way to "fix" it.  You're going to have some Millenials that will buckle down, pull themselves up by their bootstraps and move on, some that will be the stereotype Millenials, and some that will kind of be in the middle.
    Maybe that's an overly cynical view of things, but it's the way I feel...

(Disclaimer:  Gen X'er here, very, very, very much a latchkey kid with two working parents from about 3rd grade on)

• jasona.work - Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:05 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, December 14, 2017 5:48 AM

So this article hits a little close to home (the references to poverty are so true).

That being said, yes the Millenials have had some bad luck with the state of things (economy, job market, etc.) 
    It's like "investing" in something.  If you don't get in early before everyone else, you're going to get screwed.
    As for fixing it, I don't see that there's any way to "fix" it.  You're going to have some Millenials that will buckle down, pull themselves up by their bootstraps and move on, some that will be the stereotype Millenials, and some that will kind of be in the middle.

Given the above comments, I'd like to point out that the point of the article is that the deck is stacked against them. Skyrocketing housing / healthcare prices plus an unstable job market plus the fact that they have "lost wages" because they were never able to get in on the ground floor of their profession means they're always trying to catch up and probably never will. There are no bootstraps to pull up on here. The poor have been yanking so hard on their bootstraps that the straps broke a long time ago.

My family lives on the poverty line. I see it all the time. Pay for a hospital visit or this month's mortgage bill or for groceries to put on the table? What kind of choice is that? There's no bootstrap there. The opportunity cost of poverty means you will always be poor unless someone helps lift you out of it. That's what happened with me. That's how I was able to become a DBA, with someone assisting me by buying computers and certification books so I could get out of hourly wage jobs.

That's why I'm asking the question. How do we fix this? How do we level the field and get them new bootstraps to pull up on?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• jasona.work - Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:05 AM

OK, I managed to get about 1/3 of the way through the article (I think) before the formatting style and such just caused my eyes to start bleeding...

That being said, yes the Millenials have had some bad luck with the state of things (economy, job market, etc.)  BUT using one of the interviewees in the article, the guy who went out for a degree, got it, then couldn't get a job as a bank teller and started working as a bus driver (with better benefits and pay than the bank teller job would've given,) is he really worse off?  It seems that what tends to happen in the job market is, some profession, for whatever reason, sees a massive rise (in pay,) then lots of people pursue that profession in their education and by the time they graduate the hiring market is now glutted, the pay rates and available jobs plummet, so now the graduates are stuck with a degree that doesn't offer much help elsewhere.
    Think Drs, financiers (Wall St,) programmers...

(Disclaimer:  Gen X'er here, very, very, very much a latchkey kid with two working parents from about 3rd grade on)

Have to agree that I don't blame the amount of friends I have (to a degree) that are still living at their parents. At this stage though, there is very much a very clear line between those that do and those that don't, which Jasona picks up on; those that have moved out have pulled themselves out, working hard, settling down, etc (myself included apart from the settled!), or have come into money (inherited). The other half don't have career aspirations, and so are "comfortable" where they are. I would say I don't blame them, but when you're in your last 20's/early 30's you should have some desire to make something of yourself at that stage. Getting out isn't easy, I'm not going to lie about that (I moved home and basically saved all my earning for 2 years to buy a property), but if you have the commitment you'll certainly do it.

Rent costs are terrifying though. For a decent sized 2 bedroom apartment near London (not in), you'll easily looking at £1,500 pcm, at least. Maybe £1,200 if you find it in a part of town that's not desirable. That, especially for a single earner, is a significant portion of one's income.

I'll admit, as well, that I'm not really sure the older generations help. I had many conversation with my parents about "when are you going to leave"; them forgetting that the house they bought when they were 21/22 cost about £40,000. That same property is worth maybe £300,000 now. I'm not the only person I know that has had that conversation either. I'm not saying that the older generation are to blame on that, but it is so demoralising.

I do think that the government does do a fairly good job at looking after people over here, at least. Council houses are affordable, just getting one takes time. They may not be "great" but they're not terrible; and you can buy them at a considerably discounted price after your been there a "few" (10-15) years.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

The third panel here pretty much shows the problem, https://fiveelementsllp.weebly.com/uploads/2/1/1/9/21192700/9039372_orig.png   .  At least in the US public education has been largely devalued and high school was turned into an extended 4 years of what is essentially daycare where people don't learn any relevant skills and everyone graduates from.  The result is that people are wasting years in their teens and not coming out with any skills usable beyond flipping burgers without going on to more schooling which takes more years and accrues debt.

• ZZartin - Thursday, December 14, 2017 9:17 AM

The third panel here pretty much shows the problem, https://fiveelementsllp.weebly.com/uploads/2/1/1/9/21192700/9039372_orig.png   .  At least in the US public education has been largely devalued and high school was turned into an extended 4 years of what is essentially daycare where people don't learn any relevant skills and everyone graduates from.  The result is that people are wasting years in their teens and not coming out with any skills usable beyond flipping burgers without going on to more schooling which takes more years and accrues debt.

It's not just here and shifting back to the original question on "the thread" because it seems to me to be related...  We now have people blatantly asking for help answering interview questions and the worst part is, a bunch of people are actually helping.  I'm also really surprised at some of the people helping.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

One way tofix it is to elect decent people to government at both local and national level so that they can get the legal framework changed so as not to be a poverty generating and perpetuating machine.    But that clearly isn't going to happen in the good old USA where only those backed by rich men's campaign donatons can get elected.   Nor, sadly, will it happen in the UK - our Conservatives have been taken over by the party's right wing who would be horrified at the idea of doing anything to help ordinary people, while our Labour party has fallen into the hands of leaders who would be horrified by the idea of trying to keep the UK economically viable, and what few sensible politicians we have don't stand a chance of getting anything done because the idiots who dominate the two main parties wouldn't tolerate it. 

The alternative (both in the USA and in the UK) is revolution, but that is a rather dismal prospect as the usual result of a revolution is to make things worse - two well known examples are the October Revolution in 1917 AD (that lead to 5 years of civil war and to the creation of the USSR as a totalitarian dictatorship under Stalin 6 months before the end of that war) , or the revolution of 33 Roman Senators (who objected to the majority of the senate supporting Julius Caesar) in 44 BC (that one led to the "liberators' war" which destroyed the republic, establishing in its place three military dictatorships which soon went to war with each other, resulting after a few more years of civil war in a single hereditary dictatorship that lasted for several centuries).

I guess it will  all end up with some politicians deciding that the best solution to domestic problems is to have a foreign war - although that certainly won't solve the problem either.

Tom

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:43 AM

ZZartin - Thursday, December 14, 2017 9:17 AM

It's not just here and shifting back to the original question on "the thread" because it seems to me to be related...  We now have people blatantly asking for help answering interview questions and the worst part is, a bunch of people are actually helping.  I'm also really surprised at some of the people helping.

The public education system in the US does suck.  As a product of it myself, I can see how very different things are now than they were 30 years ago.  It's more about making people feel good about themselves, creating political firestorms over simple things, handing out participation awards just for showing up and passing people through the system even though they're unable to read or write with the competency of a 5th grader.  After all, the more time they spend in school, the more money it costs the school system.  It's also about the "right" of the teachers to keep their job, even if they frequently fall asleep in class and the sixth graders run amok. That, BTW, is a true story.  The dumbing down of education is a very sad reality.

The people who can do so opt out of the public education system.  They still have to pay for it through property taxes, but that's a different discussion.

• Grant Fritchey - Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:15 AM

Request for the brain trust here on the thread. I'm researching an article on the plan at Heathrow airport for dealing with snow. I'm fairly certain it's published somewhere, but I can't find the specifics of it. The closest I've come is this PDF on their plan to improve the plan after the 2010 disaster (6 inches of snow when the plan only dealt with .8cm, yes, you read that correctly, less than 1 centimeter). Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know of anything newer than that.

Heathrow's incapability of dealing even with trivial amounts of snow is a long-standing joke.  It handles about twice as many passengers as Gatwick, but up to and including 2010 it only had a small fraction of Gatwick's snow-clearing capacity.    The two airports are fairly close together, so should expect to see similar snowfall frequencies and depths.   The new equipment mentioned in the PDF would probably bring Heathrow's equipment level up to about the same as Gatwick's, so I imagine it will still be unable to keep runways open as well as Gatwick does since it has about twice the throughput.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic about Heathrow's current snow-handling capacity.  I haven't flown to or from Heathrow in winter since 2006, so I haven't bothered to keep track of their snow handling ability (it hit the headlines in 2010, so I took an interest for a year or two then).  But I can remember earlier times when Heathrow cancelled flights because of snow while Gatwick just kept going, and on at least two such occassions Gatwick had had significantly more snow than Heathrow.

Tom

• TomThomson - Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:46 AM

One way tofix it is to elect decent people to government at both local and national level so that they can get the legal framework changed so as not to be a poverty generating and perpetuating machine.    But that clearly isn't going to happen in the good old USA where only those backed by rich men's campaign donatons can get elected.   Nor, sadly, will it happen in the UK - our Conservatives have been taken over by the party's right wing who would be horrified at the idea of doing anything to help ordinary people, while our Labour party has fallen into the hands of leaders who would be horrified by the idea of trying to keep the UK economically viable, and what few sensible politicians we have don't stand a chance of getting anything done because the idiots who dominate the two main parties wouldn't tolerate it. 

The alternative (both in the USA and in the UK) is revolution, but that is a rather dismal prospect as the usual result of a revolution is to make things worse - two well known examples are the October Revolution in 1917 AD (that lead to 5 years of civil war and to the creation of the USSR as a totalitarian dictatorship under Stalin 6 months before the end of that war) , or the revolution of 33 Roman Senators (who objected to the majority of the senate supporting Julius Caesar) in 44 BC (that one led to the "liberators' war" which destroyed the republic, establishing in its place three military dictatorships which soon went to war with each other, resulting after a few more years of civil war in a single hereditary dictatorship that lasted for several centuries).

I guess it will  all end up with some politicians deciding that the best solution to domestic problems is to have a foreign war - although that certainly won't solve the problem either.

Heh - since when do politicians (on either side of the political ideology) have anything to do with making the best decisions for anyone other than themselves?

• Ed Wagner - Thursday, December 14, 2017 11:33 AM

TomThomson - Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:46 AM

Heh - since when do politicians (on either side of the political ideology) have anything to do with making the best decisions for anyone other than themselves?

One other thing that should be done is to eliminate the protectionist laws that prevent people from entering many of the fields that now require licenses to perform.  Let the free market weed out the failures and reward those that perform well.  I personally am very tired of the laws that are passed because they feel good but in actuality fail to do good.

That's why usually decent people don't get elected - a lot of the people standing for elections are the sort of politicians that care only for their own good, not for anything else, no matter which side of the political ideology they are on, and most of the rest are people who are too stupid to do anything sensible (again, no matter which side of the political ideology they are on).

Tom

You know how government works right?
    -  If it moves, tax it.
    -  If it keeps moving, regulate it
    -  If it stops moving, subsidize it
    Unfortunately it seems like every action taken by the government just results in everything costing more for the average working person, even if that action is supposed to cancel out some prior action that resulted in everything costing more.

Viewing 15 posts - 60,661 through 60,675 (of 66,567 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply