Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 12:42 PM

jasona.work - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 11:37 AM

Ugh, those last couple days before both a "regular" long weekend (Labor Day weekend here in the US) and a "really long, long weekend that you're going somewhere fun for" (Labor Day weekend with extra days off) weekend...
    You don't want to get into anything too involved that might be left hanging partway done while you're gone, you don't want to get someone else going on one of their projects that's holding you up from a migration because you'll probably need to leave it half done...
    And keeping focused on work is tough (which is why I'm posting here at the moment.)

Plus, you've got people already off for the long weekend, so the work load is down...

Nice. Mine is the exact opposite. We go live this weekend with a project we have been working on for close to three years (a replacement for our ERP). We are nowhere ready to launch but damnit we are going this weekend no matter what. :crazy:

Next month is probably going to be worse, in terms of busy-ness.
    Last month of the fiscal, so everyone's either out of money, or getting there soon and won't be doing anything major, no changes to some systems because they're closing out the fiscal, and everyone on pins-and-needles waiting to find out what next years budget looks like, while the contractors are even more stressed waiting to see if the current contract agency got the new contract or if they're going to have someone else signing their paychecks, and if their checks are going to shrink or what...

• Need to do some weekend work since I'm a bit behind and I leave for a week next week. Flying Monday, so not much of a holiday. Especially with some chores to catch up on.

Ugh, those last couple days before both a "regular" long weekend (Labor Day weekend here in the US) and a "really long, long weekend that you're going somewhere fun for" (Labor Day weekend with extra days off) weekend...
    You don't want to get into anything too involved that might be left hanging partway done while you're gone, you don't want to get someone else going on one of their projects that's holding you up from a migration because you'll probably need to leave it half done...
    And keeping focused on work is tough (which is why I'm posting here at the moment.)

Plus, you've got people already off for the long weekend, so the work load is down...

Nice. Mine is the exact opposite. We go live this weekend with a project we have been working on for close to three years (a replacement for our ERP). We are nowhere ready to launch but damnit we are going this weekend no matter what. :crazy:

Sean, is that what I think it is?  The replacement of/work on the ERP that shall not be named?

• September's a horrible month for me. I've got the three local SQLSaturdays on consecutive weekends, a trial SQL event next week wednesday (to see if there's enough interest in Port Elisabeth to run a SQLSat next year), and then my company's internal dev showoff event the week after the 3rd SQLSaturday, which I'm also presenting at.

8 presentations in 20 days.

Someone remind me why I do this again...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ed Wagner - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:41 PM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 12:42 PM

Sean, is that what I think it is?  The replacement of/work on the ERP that shall not be named?

Sadly....yes.....yes it is. We are replacing one truly awful ERP with a much newer and equally truly awful ERP. But we spent a ton of money and time on this so we are going live. :angry:

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Hope it goes well. ERP projects are particularly risky. Lots of moving parts and getting a clean cut over can be challenging.
    Fortunate that the project managers I worked for on the ERP side, although date driven, found a good balance.
    I always was a bit nervous when I worked in the ERP side. Much more comfortable when moved to the Data Warehouse group.

• GilaMonster - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:46 PM

It's good for the skin. 😉  Makes it thicker...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:48 PM

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:41 PM

Sadly....yes.....yes it is. We are replacing one truly awful ERP with a much newer and equally truly awful ERP. But we spent a ton of money and time on this so we are going live. :angry:

Going live, no matter how bad it is or how much it costs, right?  I've heard that "management directive" before and don't envy you.  Be sure to keep the last backup of the old one safe. 😉   Best of luck with your production release.  I hope you have time for BBQ this weekend.

September's a horrible month for me. I've got the three local SQLSaturdays on consecutive weekends, a trial SQL event next week wednesday (to see if there's enough interest in Port Elisabeth to run a SQLSat next year), and then my company's internal dev showoff event the week after the 3rd SQLSaturday, which I'm also presenting at.

Because you're incredibly good at it, you enjoy it, and you're a bit of a masochist?

• Ed Wagner - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:23 PM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:48 PM

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:41 PM

Going live, no matter how bad it is or how much it costs, right?  I've heard that "management directive" before and don't envy you.  Be sure to keep the last backup of the old one safe. 😉   Best of luck with your production release.  I hope you have time for BBQ this weekend.

The quote from the top decision maker is "we will never be fully ready so we are going on this date". Then after that announcement was made they decided to start looking at what is required to go live. Ready - Fire - Aim!!!

I may not have time for BBQ this weekend but I will certainly find time for a couple of refreshing drinks.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:40 AM

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:23 PM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:48 PM

The quote from the top decision maker is "we will never be fully ready so we are going on this date". Then after that announcement was made they decided to start looking at what is required to go live. Ready - Fire - Aim!!!

I may not have time for BBQ this weekend but I will certainly find time for a couple of refreshing drinks.

You know why management is fine with setting a date without actually being ready, right?
    Because when the go live rolls around, they'll all be home that weekend having BBQ and brews while their "resources" are busy doing the work (for which the managers will get nice bonuses and atta-boys) while the resources spent the entire weekend living on day-old pizza and flat soda trying to fix the major problems before the next workday.
    Then, when everyone returns to work and there's still problems (often littler things that don't outright break functionality, but are visible,) the "resources" are brought to task for not having them already fixed despite having sent many, many e-mails and such to the managers telling them these things weren't ready, wouldn't be ready, and couldn't be ready by the mandated go-live date.

Or is that just me being cynical?

• Sean Lange - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:40 AM

Hold the phone a minute.... didn't you say that they've been working on this for 3 years and still aren't ready?  I hate to be the rock in the snowball but the decision maker might be right.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

September's a horrible month for me. I've got the three local SQLSaturdays on consecutive weekends, a trial SQL event next week wednesday (to see if there's enough interest in Port Elisabeth to run a SQLSat next year), and then my company's internal dev showoff event the week after the 3rd SQLSaturday, which I'm also presenting at.

Because you see how it helps the people you are educating, and you deserve to be recognized for your talents.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

For the kitties.

and to pay the book bill

• Jeff Moden - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:12 AM

Sean Lange - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:40 AM

Hold the phone a minute.... didn't you say that they've been working on this for 3 years and still aren't ready?  I hate to be the rock in the snowball but the decision maker might be right.

LOL. To be fair we have three divisions. One has been live for about 1 1/2 years. They are super small and have very little need for anything out of the ordinary. Our second division is our manufacturing division, they have been live for about a year. It is our distribution division that is crazy. As you can imagine there are zillions of exceptions to every rule. The exceptions have exceptions and the rules are not consistent which has made this a nightmare. Yes to some extent the realization that we will never be fully ready is accurate. But we had UAT in March of this year and the mandate was to "test only those parts that you know will work". Meanwhile we were still gathering requirements for segments of the system and designing processes. Now just how did we complete UAT before the design was complete??? We are almost done implementing all the software requirements for the UAT that was done several months ago. Also, keep in mind we are moving from a mainframe app that has been in use for nearly 30 years with dozens and dozens of external applications to "fill in the gaps". For example I received a brand new project last Friday for a whole segment that was just overlooked. The three years could have been cut in half if there had been any project management. But everything is done seat of the pants. For example, we are 2 1/2 working days away from going live....there has not been a single meeting with the IT staff to discuss a deployment plan. It is just assumed we will all do whatever it is to get it working.

Viewing 15 posts - 59,746 through 59,760 (of 66,638 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply