Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:55 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, July 19, 2017 12:32 PM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, July 19, 2017 10:43 AM

And in other news, a new vulnerability in IoT has been found.

http://thehackernews.com/2017/07/gsoap-iot-device-hacking.html

YIKES! Makes me glad I'm playing the luddite lately when it comes to connected items for the home.

I want my refrigerator to do only two things... keep my stuff cold and give me access to the interior when I need it.  All this IOT stuff reminds me of why Adama was so strict about limiting computer controls on Battlestar Galactica.  Seems far fetched until you hear stuff like what's in that article but, like you, I definitely play the part of a Luddite there.  The problem is going to be when you can no longer buy things that don't have IOT capabilities.  Look at what GM did a long time ago... They built in On-Star.  Just because you don't have an active subscription doesn't mean that they can't use it to find you.  An unconfirmed rumor says they can also pulse the vehicle to kind of safely drop the speed to zero in case someone has stolen it.

Yes, they can.  They can also unlock your doors.  With the API to the car's computer available, what can't they do?  If they can't do it yet, I'd bet that a remotely-pushed update to the code will let them do whatever they dream up next with the car that you bought and paid for.  I don't know if the pushed updates exist yet, but am guessing it does.  In the right hands, it's a convenience.  In the wrong hands, it could be deadly.

• Grant Fritchey - Wednesday, July 19, 2017 12:31 PM

It's old-fashioned. Make a PowerShell called to Get-Date. That's the correct answer. What do I win?

Old fashioned is open SSMS then look down at the lower right corner of the monitor and get the date from Windows. :Whistling:

The problem is going to be when you can no longer buy things that don't have IOT capabilities.  Look at what GM did a long time ago... They built in On-Star.  Just because you don't have an active subscription doesn't mean that they can't use it to find you.  An unconfirmed rumor says they can also pulse the vehicle to kind of safely drop the speed to zero in case someone has stolen it.

I worry about this as well. As much as I like my "modern" car, there are a few electronic things that are annoying. I'm about to sell it and go back 4 years to the time when I had a key. A real key that opens doors, trunk, and starts the car.

I want my refrigerator to do only two things... keep my stuff cold and give me access to the interior when I need it.  

I want mine to make Sonic/pellet ice too... It doesn't... 🙁

• Jason A. Long - Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:33 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:55 AM

I want my refrigerator to do only two things... keep my stuff cold and give me access to the interior when I need it.  

I want mine to give me ice and water from the outside. That was always something I wanted as a kid.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:27 AM

The problem is going to be when you can no longer buy things that don't have IOT capabilities.  Look at what GM did a long time ago... They built in On-Star.  Just because you don't have an active subscription doesn't mean that they can't use it to find you.  An unconfirmed rumor says they can also pulse the vehicle to kind of safely drop the speed to zero in case someone has stolen it.

I worry about this as well. As much as I like my "modern" car, there are a few electronic things that are annoying. I'm about to sell it and go back 4 years to the time when I had a key. A real key that opens doors, trunk, and starts the car.

I've always been sceptical of the keyless entry cars. I get concerned that if I were to park it on the driveway, that depending on where I left my key, the car would stay unlocked. The car's where I keep all my important things! (Like sweets for long a journey and air fresheners).

i suppose there is the problem that if it's unlocked, you can also press the start button... :hehe:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Phil Parkin - Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:41 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:27 AM

Does 6.480740698407860230965967436088 ring a bell?
    😎

42^0.5, too easy.

Spelling out the obvious 
    😎

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:23 AM

Grant Fritchey - Wednesday, July 19, 2017 12:31 PM

It's old-fashioned. Make a PowerShell called to Get-Date. That's the correct answer. What do I win?

Old fashioned is open SSMS then look down at the lower right corner of the monitor and get the date from Windows. :Whistling:

Why even open SSMS?  The time is always in the corner, unless someone turned it off...

Old-old fashioned would be to look at your wristwatch.

• jasona.work - Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:51 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:23 AM

Why even open SSMS?  The time is always in the corner, unless someone turned it off...

What if you're using Windows 7 and only have one line in your task bar though Steve! It only shows you the time then! I have to move my mouse and hover over it; that sounds like a lot of effort in my opinion...:rolleyes:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:34 AM

Jason A. Long - Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:33 AM

I want mine to give me ice and water from the outside. That was always something I wanted as a kid.

Mine does that now... It's just the wrong kind of ice...
    It may sound like a 1st world problem but the struggle is real.

• Jason A. Long - Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:33 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:34 AM

Sonic nugget ice is the bomb!!! They make free standing ice makers that will make that kind of ice now but they are not cheap.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Thom A - Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:40 AM

I've always been sceptical of the keyless entry cars. I get concerned that if I were to park it on the driveway, that depending on where I left my key, the car would stay unlocked. The car's where I keep all my important things! (Like sweets for long a journey and air fresheners).

i suppose there is the problem that if it's unlocked, you can also press the start button... :hehe:

How is this different from a regular key? Most cars don't lock when you walk away, though I wouldn't be surprised if this is added. We have remote unlock/lock, which requires you to press a button. We have keyless (smart) keys, which will unlock when you get close or touch a handle. The latter often allow the car to be started if the key is in your pocket. Great when it's really cold outside and you're bundled up.

However,  if the battery is dead, you can often only unlock one door with a spare key. Some can't even unlock other doors from inside or in the trunk. Those are fundamental issues for me, both convenience and safety.

• jasona.work - Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:51 AM

Well, Jeff did ask with SQL Server. 😉

• Sean Lange - Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:50 AM

Jason A. Long - Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:33 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:34 AM

Sonic nugget ice is the bomb!!! They make free standing ice makers that will make that kind of ice now but they are not cheap.

Yea... If you're an ice eater, it's pretty much the pinnacle of human innovation...
    I've kicked around the idea of getting one of the counter top units but cost, loss of counter space and lack of auto fill kept me from it.
    If they ever come up with a version that can replace the built in ice maker in my freezer, I'll be all over it... Cost be damned.
    Hell, if they were to come out with an entirely new frige/freezer with a pellet ice maker, I'd buy it and my current fridge would be moved to the garage.

• Thom A - Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:02 AM

jasona.work - Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:51 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:23 AM

What if you're using Windows 7 and only have one line in your task bar though Steve! It only shows you the time then! I have to move my mouse and hover over it; that sounds like a lot of effort in my opinion...:rolleyes:

There might be a better way. You just need to create a procedure to ease it up a little.

CREATE PROCEDURE GetCurrentDateTime
    AS
    EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail
      @profile_name = 'DB mail profile',
      @recipients = 'yourfriend@Yourwork.com',
      @body = 'Can you tell me the current date and time?',
      @subject = 'current date and time' ;

GO
    EXEC GetCurrentDateTime;

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 15 posts - 59,371 through 59,385 (of 66,588 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply