Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jasona.work - Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:40 AM

My first thought when I brought up the forums today was, "What the HECK did the network guys change last night to break the rendering of the forums?"
    Then I realized the new forums must've rolled out over night...

Thus far, it seems OK, it might take a bit of getting used to, but not much.  Not sure I like the various buttons not showing what they are (Share post / Subscribe / etc) although that could be due to the lockdowns applied to IE here at work, I'll have to see how it behaves at home on Chrome.

So far, thought, kudos to the team!

jasona.work brings up a good point...
    KUDOS to the team!!!

• Unrelated to the forums upgrade...

Some of you know I was working on a project to find illegal characters in a alphanumeric field last week. I got it up and running (so I thought) and then added an underscore search. The job step failed because there was too much data to fit in the text file I was trying to email. Well, turns out I forgot underscore is a wildcard and forgot to include it in square brackets for the LIKE to treat it literally. DUH.

And that was my morning. How is yours going?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, January 12, 2017 6:14 AM

Trying to diagnose why a PDW spent 17 hours running a query, while the step marked as running had completed on all nodes.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Koen Verbeeck - Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:26 AM

ThomasRushton - Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:23 AM

We can change font and write questions in Comic Sans?  Really?

Never mind, found it 🙂

Interesting. Oh, we're going to be spamming the heck out of each other today.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Unrelated to the forums upgrade...

Some of you know I was working on a project to find illegal characters in a alphanumeric field last week. I got it up and running (so I thought) and then added an underscore search. The job step failed because there was too much data to fit in the text file I was trying to email. Well, turns out I forgot underscore is a wildcard and forgot to include it in square brackets for the LIKE to treat it literally. DUH.

The rain-before-the-snow has started here – but not before the rain began IN the office. Just after 9am I heard water trickling, coming from behind a panel near me. I’d not heard it before. A few other folk listened but couldn’t hear anything, but when we came out of our morning standup, water was coming down from the ceiling in streams. It took building services about 4 hours to locate the issue and stop the flow. The worst of it was about five feet from where I'm sitting. Narrow escape for my desktop.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Hey, guys. Not sure how much you value your privacy, but you might want to check out this Washington Post article about FamilyTreeNow. Instruction on opting out are in the second link.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2017/01/12/youve-probably-never-heard-of-this-creepy-genealogy-site-but-its-heard-all-about-you/?utm_term=.c036abd9dd37

https://twitter.com/Almost_Anna/status/818826930271227904

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• ChrisM@Work - Thursday, January 12, 2017 6:32 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, January 12, 2017 6:14 AM

The rain-before-the-snow has started here – but not before the rain began IN the office. Just after 9am I heard water trickling, coming from behind a panel near me. I’d not heard it before. A few other folk listened but couldn’t hear anything, but when we came out of our morning standup, water was coming down from the ceiling in streams. It took building services about 4 hours to locate the issue and stop the flow. The worst of it was about five feet from where I'm sitting. Narrow escape for my desktop.

This morning shortly after I got in to work, they issued a freezing rain advisory for the area...
    The wife leaves after I do, hopefully there hasn't been any yet (while the office has windows, they're about 30ft from me, with a lot of trees just outside, so I can't tell what it's doing unless it's obvious like snow, or the rain is hard enough it's coating the windows...)

• Interesting.
    While typing up my previous reply, I got a HTTP 403 Forbidden message, but the reply obviously posted.

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, January 12, 2017 6:55 AM

Hey, guys. Not sure how much you value your privacy, but you might want to check out this Washington Post article about FamilyTreeNow. Instruction on opting out are in the second link.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2017/01/12/youve-probably-never-heard-of-this-creepy-genealogy-site-but-its-heard-all-about-you/?utm_term=.c036abd9dd37

https://twitter.com/Almost_Anna/status/818826930271227904

OK, reading that article now, and that is frankly scary...
    Going to have to check it out (and opt-out) when I get home.

• jasona.work - Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:05 AM

ChrisM@Work - Thursday, January 12, 2017 6:32 AM

This morning shortly after I got in to work, they issued a freezing rain advisory for the area...
    The wife leaves after I do, hopefully there hasn't been any yet (while the office has windows, they're about 30ft from me, with a lot of trees just outside, so I can't tell what it's doing unless it's obvious like snow, or the rain is hard enough it's coating the windows...)

We have a freezing rain advisory starting at noon on Friday and not ending until midnight Sunday. Of course the freezing rain happens over the weekend....and it was 63 here yesterday. GAH!!!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• jasona.work - Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:05 AM

ChrisM@Work - Thursday, January 12, 2017 6:32 AM

Nasty. That stuff can be really dangerous on the roads. Good luck.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Afternoon, actually.
    One of the SSRS reports that normally loads in 1-2 minutes now took much longer. I had to kill it because it blocked all other activity,
    I extracted the offending query and, after verifying that the estimated plan didn't show me the problem, included some nolock hints so that I could test performance without causing locking and fired it off to get an actual execution plan. But I am impatient so while it was running I started looking in more detail at the estimated plan, running other queries to get a feel for the data sizes, etc.

Long story short: I just deployed a new version of the report. Query runs in 5-10 seconds, total rendering time about 15 seconds.
    And the original query? That still sits in one of my windows, chugging happily along. Run time now over 2 hours and counting.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Not sure if it's just me or not.  Under forums, the "Latest" posts don't ever appear for me.  I just get an hour glass.  I "live" by the "Latest Posts".

I also think that it's terrible that we now have to click on "Notify me of replies to this post" instead of it defaulting to that like on the old forum.  I don't understand why anyone would not want to be notified of a reply to their post but that should be an option to opt out rather than a requirement to opt in for something that should be a default.

Also, where'd the "REPORT" a post button go?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:29 AM

It's the little flag icon.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:29 AM

Not sure if it's just me or not.  Under forums, the "Latest" posts don't ever appear for me.  I just get an hour glass.  I "live" by the "Latest Posts".

I also think that it's terrible that we now have to click on "Notify me of replies to this post" instead of it defaulting to that like on the old forum.  I don't understand why anyone would not want to be notified of a reply to their post but that should be an option to opt out rather than a requirement to opt in for something that should be a default.

"REPORT" is the flag icon right under the last line of your sig on the lhs.

Viewing 15 posts - 57,136 through 57,150 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply