Are the posted questions getting worse?

• ChrisM@Work (11/30/2016)

Eirikur chose his workplace well - in addition to the coffee, there's a very fine pub almost next door too. I'm in NYNY this weekend, would be awesome to meet both of you later next week.

Cittie of Yorke ? Things may have changed since I worked not far from there, but the next two pubs to the West both used to be cheaper and provide a greater variey of draught beers. Or is there one i don't know about somewhere near Chancery Lane?

Tom

• TomThomson (11/30/2016)

ChrisM@Work (11/30/2016)

Eirikur chose his workplace well - in addition to the coffee, there's a very fine pub almost next door too. I'm in NYNY this weekend, would be awesome to meet both of you later next week.

Cittie of Yorke ? Things may have changed since I worked not far from there, but the next two pubs to the West both used to be cheaper and provide a greater variey of draught beers. Or is there one i don't know about somewhere near Chancery Lane?

The Inn of Court[/url], Tom, formerly known as the Melton Mowbray. It's a Fuller's ale and pie house. The ale is delicious, particularly the ESB - not a session ale at 5% but it has to be done.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Grr. Trying to verify something and can't find it with Google today (all the results are the usual "how do I restore my 2012 backup to a 2008 server")

How many versions up can you go when restoring a backup of a database? Two, isn't it?

So SQL2005 -> SQL2008/2008R2/2012 but not 2014?

• 2005 can be *restored* to anything above it.

The two-version limit is in-place upgrades afaik. Restores there's no such limit (as long as you're not dealing with a SQL 2000 backup)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Which would explain why I couldn't find what I thought I needed to find...

As for what version I might be coming from, no idea yet. We're potentially (likely) going to be taking over and bringing in-house some DBs from another location that have had an accidental DBA for at least a year. No one currently knows what version of SQL these DBs are living on...

• For someone who has been "around" SSC as long as "he" has, he sure hasn't changed in all these years.

I stayed away and thinking I will bypass him in the future. A saint can only take so much.

• Lynn Pettis (12/1/2016)

For someone who has been "around" SSC as long as "he" has, he sure hasn't changed in all these years.

I stayed away and thinking I will bypass him in the future. A saint can only take so much.

I don't know. I think I did a pretty good job teaching him how to move forward. He had no more questions about that. :hehe:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (12/1/2016)

Lynn Pettis (12/1/2016)

For someone who has been "around" SSC as long as "he" has, he sure hasn't changed in all these years.

I don't know. I think I did a pretty good job teaching him how to move forward. He had no more questions about that. :hehe:

The phrasing and language patterns look different from (some) previous posts of theirs. I'm still subscribing to the multiple people using one account theory. This incarnation almost looks like English isn't their first language but others have been fluent.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Lynn Pettis (12/1/2016)

Let me guess - this is the Canine from Cymru?

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• BWFC (12/2/2016)

Luis Cazares (12/1/2016)

Lynn Pettis (12/1/2016)

The phrasing and language patterns look different from (some) previous posts of theirs. I'm still subscribing to the multiple people using one account theory. This incarnation almost looks like English isn't their first language but others have been fluent.

But the attitude is always the same.

• Lynn Pettis (12/2/2016)

BWFC (12/2/2016)

Luis Cazares (12/1/2016)

Lynn Pettis (12/1/2016)

But the attitude is always the same.

Yes it is. I try to just stay away.

• ThomasRushton (12/2/2016)

Lynn Pettis (12/1/2016)

Learned something new today. Doubt I'll remember it, but I did learn it.

• Lynn Pettis (12/2/2016)

ThomasRushton (12/2/2016)

Lynn Pettis (12/1/2016)

Learned something new today. Doubt I'll remember it, but I did learn it.

That sounds very much like the way the aforementioned canine gets through life.

On a lighter note, I had the smoker out yesterday for probably the last time this year and there's a 10lb ham brining in the cellar now.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Eirikur and Chris,

I'm in London all week, and free lunch times. Although today I'm waiting for the Royal Albert Hall booking line to open...

So let me know when you want to meet up.

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (12/5/2016)

Eirikur and Chris,

I'm in London all week, and free lunch times. Although today I'm waiting for the Royal Albert Hall booking line to open...

So let me know when you want to meet up.

Rodders...

Hi Rodders,

Wednesday would be the best for me.

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 56,836 through 56,850 (of 66,600 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply