Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (5/4/2016)

Sean Lange (5/4/2016)

WayneS (5/4/2016)

Anyone else having trouble receiving the SSC newsletters? I just received Saturday's "Database Weekly", and I haven't received any of the daily ones this week.

Yeah they seem to be on their own schedule. I got yesterday's last night about 10 minutes after Monday's and an hour or so after today's. 🙂

I get forum post notifications in waves. Nothing for days, then everything at once. Newsletters much the same.

Posted a note. We moved senders to something at AMZN/AWS. I think it might be queueing strangely. Things appear to be sent from this end.

• Jeff Moden (5/3/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (5/3/2016)

SQLRNNR (5/3/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (5/3/2016)

Phil Parkin (5/3/2016)

Jeff Moden (5/3/2016)

djj (5/3/2016)

Had a "discussion" today. Developer asked I push a couple stored procedures. No problem, this happens all the time. Looked at the SP's and saw they did not have the comment section I have requested (management approved) for all SP's. Now a submitted SP can have a minimal amount of info and I will let it go, however this guy only had his name. No description of what they did or what ran them. I suggested he add information and he gets upset. When he went for a smoke, two other developers said I did a good job of it.

I hope the guy gets over it as we sit back to back and is a friend. :unsure:

Oh, well.

Not only does the "developer" need to get over it, as suggested, he needs to concentrate a bit more on following the standards you laid out and have management approval on. It's actually a part of his job now and he needs to be a team member by doing his job correctly... first time if possible.

Love your work, Jeff.

>>>>>Pork>>>>Pork>>>>Pork>>>>Chop Chop Chop >>>> \o/

😎

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That's one "word" putting it

😎

Ok... you guys asked for it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amICZ1aVaCg

I am adding that to my Naked SQL preso.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• BLOB_EATER (5/4/2016)

Jeff Moden (5/3/2016)

As Grandpa used to say, "Make sure the reason why the grass on the other side of the fence looks greener isn't because there's more s__t to step in over there".

Best quote I have ever heard and I have printed this off to remind me of it for when / if I move.

+1

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• xsevensinzx (5/3/2016)

Hey guys,

Need some advice. I got a really good job offer recently to work at a company as a DBA. I'm currently a data architect that built and manages a data warehouse for a analytics team. I'm kind of their only tech resource and everything is sort of tied into what I do regardless of my suggestions to hire redundancy for me.

I'm struggling to leave the business hanging, but I'm generally becoming unhappy due to a number of things that likely won't get fixed from a management standpoint. So, I'm kind of forced to seek opportunities elsewhere to continue my growth in my passion for data. Yet, I'm seriously guilt tripping a lot on the impact of that decision.

Any advice from those of you who have left mid-project or sunk a lot of passion/investment into a organization, idea, team and still had a difficult choice of moving on would be much appreciated.

I'm a little late chiming in here but you've gotten some good advice already.

One thing that doesn't seem to have come up is what looks like a drastic change in your job functions. You're going from an architect position to an administrator and those are very different roles. You need to figure out what you like about being an architect, what you don't like, what you hope to achieve as a DBA, and what appeals most. It's more than just a job hop here.

If your current job hasn't given you adequate backup and resources in case you're not available then they're on the hook for keeping things running. You flat out said that you've hit the ceiling and walls regarding what you can do there so you're going to leave. Loyalty is great and keeping your baby running is always something we want to do.

Consider all the aspects and decide if the DBA job is where you really want to go or if you want to expand your role in another company. Because you are leaving.

• Thanks again everyone.

I started the conversations on my possible transition out due to a offer on the table and that didn't go too well yesterday. It's pretty obvious me leaving has a huge impact. I'm in for a difficult decision in the next few days, especially if that second opportunity I interviewed for also lands a offer too.

And just for clarity, where I'm currently working is more about the groundbreaking stuff we are working on that is causing the difficulties for me. We are doing something very few people are doing in our vertical with the data. Having to leave that is also causing the most difficulty. These other opportunities are really going to give me more exposure to traditional DBA experiences while also working with seasoned DBA's that will greatly help me in my development. While it surely will be a change of pace, I think it would be a welcomed one as I told them, especially in traditional OLTP systems where my experience is lacking the most.

• xsevensinzx (5/5/2016)

Thanks again everyone.

I started the conversations on my possible transition out due to a offer on the table and that didn't go too well yesterday. It's pretty obvious me leaving has a huge impact. I'm in for a difficult decision in the next few days, especially if that second opportunity I interviewed for also lands a offer too.

And just for clarity, where I'm currently working is more about the groundbreaking stuff we are working on that is causing the difficulties for me. We are doing something very few people are doing in our vertical with the data. Having to leave that is also causing the most difficulty. These other opportunities are really going to give me more exposure to traditional DBA experiences while also working with seasoned DBA's that will greatly help me in my development. While it surely will be a change of pace, I think it would be a welcomed one as I told them, especially in traditional OLTP systems where my experience is lacking the most.

As others have said, if you decide to make a move, do the transition well - at least as well as you can in the situation. It sounds like you're after DBA experience and your own development more than anything. If you don't have the opportunity for that where you are, then it sounds like you've already made your decision.

Once you make the right decision, don't let others change your mind to what you don't want - see your decision through. Just don't be seduced by the coolness of something new and shiny. Make sure you look at it objectively and see it for what it really is before you move.

It sometimes helps to talk it through with someone who really knows you - wife/husband/brother/whatever.

• xsevensinzx (5/5/2016)

Thanks again everyone.

I wish this had been posted in the Careers section. All these comments would've been great advice for people who don't regularly peruse The Thread.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• OP: I'm getting an error.

Me; What is the error?

OP: Not getting an error, the formula is wrong.

Me: But you just said you got an error (included the quote saying he got an error)

OP: Here is the error (posted the error message)

Wow, hens teeth anyone?

• Okay, everyone. I leave for Prescott, AZ tomorrow morning between 4:00 and 5:00. My middle daughter graduates on Saturday.

• Lynn Pettis (5/5/2016)

Okay, everyone. I leave for Prescott, AZ tomorrow morning between 4:00 and 5:00. My middle daughter graduates on Saturday.

Congrats!

• Grumpy DBA (5/4/2016)

^ I agree with Brandie. Matter of fact that's how I came to my current employer, a former colleague has been here for 8 years and enjoys it. Good work-life balance, on-call is not too stressful (my previous employer's on-call was pure hell), good cohesive team and manager (previous employer: the manager was a 40 year employee and riding it out, didn't give a crap about the team and how dysfunctional it was), workload and new technology is enough to keep things interesting but not overwhelming, really good benefits. Four months in and I am happier than I have been in many years.

When I was made redundant and looking for another job, found one that seemed to be a good fit but was gazumped by another ex colleague with a gift of the gab but was all mouth and no trousers. Eventually followed another colleague to my current company and been with them for 33 years and quite happy to boot 🙂

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows (5/6/2016)

Grumpy DBA (5/4/2016)

^ I agree with Brandie. Matter of fact that's how I came to my current employer, a former colleague has been here for 8 years and enjoys it. Good work-life balance, on-call is not too stressful (my previous employer's on-call was pure hell), good cohesive team and manager (previous employer: the manager was a 40 year employee and riding it out, didn't give a crap about the team and how dysfunctional it was), workload and new technology is enough to keep things interesting but not overwhelming, really good benefits. Four months in and I am happier than I have been in many years.

When I was made redundant and looking for another job, found one that seemed to be a good fit but was gazumped by another ex colleague with a gift of the gab but was all mouth and no trousers. Eventually followed another colleague to my current company and been with them for 33 years and quite happy to boot 🙂

33 years... wow. I sure hope that you have been quite happy with them.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Ever have one of those emergency "everything's down", only it's in Test/UAT. But it's still urgent because we're on a deadline to upgrade.

And, oh, we have some data fixes to push to production (haven't you done that yet?) and don't forget to create the backup plan for test in case a server / database goes down, and why haven't I fixed that log shipping issue in QA yet? And...

<headdesk>

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (5/6/2016)

Ever have one of those emergency "everything's down", only it's in Test/UAT. But it's still urgent because we're on a deadline to upgrade.

And, oh, we have some data fixes to push to production (haven't you done that yet?) and don't forget to create the backup plan for test in case a server / database goes down, and why haven't I fixed that log shipping issue in QA yet? And...

<headdesk>

Not since just now. Test is having a problem and half the people who know anything are out of the office. You missed the #, so I'll add it for you with vigor - #HeadDesk x3!

• WayneS (5/6/2016)

David Burrows (5/6/2016)

Grumpy DBA (5/4/2016)

33 years... wow. I sure hope that you have been quite happy with them.

If not, he's got to be one the angriest people alive. 😛

I was with one employer for 15 years and like it most of the time. The stress got to be a killer near the end, so I parted ways amicably. It was hard to do and involved short-term pain for a long-term gain.

Viewing 15 posts - 53,956 through 53,970 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply