Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (4/4/2016)

Ed Wagner (4/4/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (4/4/2016)

So I didn't get out of work until after midnight on Friday thanks to the joys of month end. Finally someone found a switch that we could superglue into the "WORK DAMMIT" position (to which we promptly added lots of scotch tape, since we aren't getting new duct tape until today). Saturday was more catch up as many jobs were postponed for user verification of some files.

So sometime Saturday afternoon, I was able to take a nap, wake up for 3 hours to do non-work stuff, then fall over asleep for the night until Sunday morning.

Yay?

Sounds like you could benefit from spending the rest of the month automating everything. ๐Ÿ˜› I know...month-end is not always simple and may uncover discrepancies that need to be investigated and resolved individually. I'm not trying to over-simplify things, but automate as much as possible. Your future month-end self will thank you for it while she's sleeping. After all, I hear month-end is scheduled to occur again in about a month. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh, don't start. Please.

We're already automated. Automation doesn't stop failure.

I was hoping you already automated everything as much as possible. I hear you on the failures and I get it. We have overly-complicated processed riddled with technical debt as well.

• Ed Wagner (4/4/2016)

Ed Wagner (4/4/2016)

So I didn't get out of work until after midnight on Friday thanks to the joys of month end. Finally someone found a switch that we could superglue into the "WORK DAMMIT" position (to which we promptly added lots of scotch tape, since we aren't getting new duct tape until today). Saturday was more catch up as many jobs were postponed for user verification of some files.

So sometime Saturday afternoon, I was able to take a nap, wake up for 3 hours to do non-work stuff, then fall over asleep for the night until Sunday morning.

Yay?

Sounds like you could benefit from spending the rest of the month automating everything. ๐Ÿ˜› I know...month-end is not always simple and may uncover discrepancies that need to be investigated and resolved individually. I'm not trying to over-simplify things, but automate as much as possible. Your future month-end self will thank you for it while she's sleeping. After all, I hear month-end is scheduled to occur again in about a month. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh, don't start. Please.

I was hoping you already automated everything as much as possible. I hear you on the failures and I get it. We have overly-complicated processed riddled with technical debt as well.

Automation is fine until your network guy restarts the server but forgets to start SQL Server Agent service when it does not automatically start:angry:

• So, for a not bad morning (no problems, no stress so far,) why the heck am I sitting here sucking on Starburst candies and coffee?

The coffee I can understand, that's my morning drink of choice, but Starburst as well?

• That's great news about Developer Edition. I was planing on buying it in a couple of weeks because my evaluation copy has expired. Thanks for letting us know.

• Ed Wagner (4/4/2016)

Ed Wagner (4/4/2016)

Yay?

Oh, don't start. Please.

I apologize for being snippy. We do have everything automated as much as possible. The problem lay in data getting miscalculated because the job ran later than it should have ran. So we spent the entire rest of the day trying to find out where the problem was. The end user was no help because all he could tell us was "the numbers are off" and he didn't have any specific examples to find the issue. So we not only had to find the examples we needed to troubleshoot (which was a FUN process) but then we had to find out the problem. This is a vended system with encrypted code so... MORE FUN.

Fortunately the vendor was on the ball, alert and available as soon as we said the word "Problem." This vendor is pretty darn good on the customer support. Of course, we're one of their biggest customers, so we have our own rep.

At 11:55 p.m., my boss asked me if there was anything else he could do. At that point it was a one person job which I was working on, so I told him to skedaddle. His response? "Happy April Fools Day." YEESH.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

At 11:55 p.m., my boss asked me if there was anything else he could do. At that point it was a one person job which I was working on, so I told him to skedaddle. His response? "Happy April Fools Day." YEESH.

It's responses like these that make me really not like a boss...

The boss thinks they're being "cute" or "funny" or something, but it almost always seems to come across as both patronizing and sort of a "ha ha you're stuck working on this sh!t and I'm not," whether that was the intent or not.

A simple "thank you for putting in the time to get this straightened out" would be far more appreciated (closely followed by "go ahead and take {next working day} off with pay on me for resolving this."

• jasona.work (4/4/2016)

The boss thinks they're being "cute" or "funny" or something, but it almost always seems to come across as both patronizing and sort of a "ha ha you're stuck working on this sh!t and I'm not," whether that was the intent or not.

A simple "thank you for putting in the time to get this straightened out" would be far more appreciated (closely followed by "go ahead and take {next working day} off with pay on me for resolving this."

To be fair, we both had our heads down all day on this problem and it was tag-teaming it this way that enabled us to solve the problem. He was working as hard as I was to resolve the issue. Also, he bought me dinner on the company dime. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Excuse my ignorance, skedaddle would be the same as "cat > /dev/null"?

๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Eirikur Eiriksson (4/4/2016)

Excuse my ignorance, skedaddle would be the same as "cat > /dev/null"?

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Skedaddle: to leave quickly.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

jasona.work (4/4/2016)

To be fair, we both had our heads down all day on this problem and it was tag-teaming it this way that enabled us to solve the problem. He was working as hard as I was to resolve the issue. Also, he bought me dinner on the company dime. @=)

Two take aways from that.

1. The company bought dinner (they paid) not the boss. ๐Ÿ˜€

2. The company bought a dinner that was only 10ยข - terribly cheap and not filling as far as dinner goes.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (4/4/2016)

jasona.work (4/4/2016)

2. The company bought a dinner that was only 10ยข - terribly cheap and not filling as far as dinner goes.

Small correction - since it was "on" the dime it is an indication of the size of the meal, not the cost. The implication of how filling it was is probably still correct. I just hope the dime was washed before it was used.

๐Ÿ˜€ You asked for it. You can slug me next time you come down to the users group meeting. Just do it softly, I'm kinda fragile.

Chad

• Ugh...

We're required to change the passwords on our various service accounts on a regular basis...

I've got 46 and counting so far to work on...

Plus migrating to new servers, plus an off-site class for a week, plus a few days off later this month, plus every other week I get Fridays off, plus some additional in-office classes...

Add on top of that making sure there's time to make sure nothing breaks when some of the accounts get changed because they're the proxies for SSIS packages and such...

That's partly why on the new servers, I'm going to set them up with the Virtual Accounts (our domain isn't, and won't be, set up for Managed Service Accounts, dang it,) and where-needed switch to domain service accounts...

Thank you, this has been a test of the DBA Whine System...

• Chad Crawford (4/4/2016)

SQLRNNR (4/4/2016)

jasona.work (4/4/2016)

Small correction - since it was "on" the dime it is an indication of the size of the meal, not the cost. The implication of how filling it was is probably still correct. I just hope the dime was washed before it was used.

๐Ÿ˜€ You asked for it. You can slug me next time you come down to the users group meeting. Just do it softly, I'm kinda fragile.

Chad

Hahahaha.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to slug you at the next SLUG (Salt Lake Users Group) meeting? Har har.

:-D:-P

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• jasona.work (4/4/2016)

Ugh...

We're required to change the passwords on our various service accounts on a regular basis...

Plus migrating to new servers, plus an off-site class for a week, plus a few days off later this month, plus every other week I get Fridays off, plus some additional in-office classes...

Add on top of that making sure there's time to make sure nothing breaks when some of the accounts get changed because they're the proxies for SSIS packages and such...

That's partly why on the new servers, I'm going to set them up with the Virtual Accounts (our domain isn't, and won't be, set up for Managed Service Accounts, dang it,) and where-needed switch to domain service accounts...

Thank you, this has been a test of the DBA Whine System...

Are you saying that the Service Accounts aren't Windows AD accounts?

And are you also saying that some of the SSIS packages use hardcoded passwords?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• jasona.work (4/4/2016)

Ugh...

I suspect that if regular changes with 46 accounts is a problem the change frequency is stupidly high. After all, if password had to change once a quarter you could just change four passwords every week, and that way they would all get changed slightly more often than required, and changing 4 passwords and verifying no nasty side effects takes up less than a tenth of the time to do it with 46 and is unlikely to cause much of a dent in the normal work pattern - unless of course you prefer one enormous dent to 10 small dents.

Edit: but of course a high change frequency would be justified if the password complexity was stupidly low (like 8 alphanumeric characters, for example), but that's an insane trade-off (gaining perhaps some reduction in damage per break in return for accepting far more frequent breaks).

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 53,356 through 53,370 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply