Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Has something gone wrong with sending notifications over the last day or two? A lot of new posts on the thread, but I haven't had a single notification for it (or for anything else at SQL Server Central, and there have been messages in at least a few other threads I'm subscribed to).

Tom

• Sean Lange (3/2/2016)

Ed Wagner (3/2/2016)

Sean Lange (3/2/2016)

Alan.B (3/2/2016)

Sean Lange (3/2/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/2/2016)

Alan.B (3/1/2016)

Ed Wagner (3/1/2016)

Alan.B (3/1/2016)

jasona.work (3/1/2016)

Ah, using SQL Server DATEDIFF to figure out how many days until my vacation...

Hmm, using DD makes it seem so far away, lets try WEEK...

That's a little better...

How about MM?

There we go! Now it doesn't seem so far off!

πŸ™‚

SELECT DATEDIFF(DAY,getdate(),@MyVacation) returns 11! :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

So what does this return?

SELECT Destination, DATEDIFF(day, @MyVacationStart, @MyVacationEnd);

Destination

-------------------------------- -----------

Caribbean Cruise with the family 8

(1 row(s) affected)

Now if I can get DBCC TimeTravel(days) to work πŸ˜›

Enjoy. We are aiming for Glacier National Park this summer.

Not a family trip but I am heading to Jazz Fest in New Orleans the last weekend in April. One of my good friends, who actually works for her company, grew up there. [/b]It was her idea. She said "you and James need some guy time in New Orleans, you should go to Jazz Fest". Seriously? My wife wants me to go there without the family for several days with no responsibilities of any kind? I of course promptly agreed. I will need a day or two to recover before coming home, it takes longer these days to recover from these kinds of things.

Haha! In my home that would be a polite way of saying, "you've been getting on my nerves a bit much lately". ;-). We can't compete with New Orleans but I always recommend people check out Chicago's Jazz Fest. And nobody can compete with our Blues Fest.

Yeah the Blues Fest there is pretty awesome. Of course in KC we don't need a festival...it is all year long!!! πŸ˜‰

And you have good BBQ there too. Of course, New Orleans has cajun, which is its own special breed of goodness.

Amen to that my friend. I haven't been there in a couple years so am really looking forward to it. And of course let's not forget the absinthe bar. http://www.ruebourbon.com/oldabsinthehouse/[/url]

Please please pretty please take a look at Jaeger's in the French Quarter. I went there as an impoverished postdoc in about 1987 and it was amazing. Jaeger's book in the link explains the holy trinity, describes how to make your own seasonings (the blackening seasoning is stunning with fresh tuna) and generally makes cooking all of your favourite Cajun grub a walk in the park.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• TomThomson (3/3/2016)

Has something gone wrong with sending notifications over the last day or two? A lot of new posts on the thread, but I haven't had a single notification for it (or for anything else at SQL Server Central, and there have been messages in at least a few other threads I'm subscribed to).

If there were problems, they appear to have been fixed now Tom. A notification for your post came through almost immediately.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (3/3/2016)

Sean Lange (3/2/2016)

Ed Wagner (3/2/2016)

Sean Lange (3/2/2016)

Alan.B (3/2/2016)

Sean Lange (3/2/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/2/2016)

Alan.B (3/1/2016)

Ed Wagner (3/1/2016)

Alan.B (3/1/2016)

jasona.work (3/1/2016)

Ah, using SQL Server DATEDIFF to figure out how many days until my vacation...

Hmm, using DD makes it seem so far away, lets try WEEK...

That's a little better...

How about MM?

There we go! Now it doesn't seem so far off!

πŸ™‚

SELECT DATEDIFF(DAY,getdate(),@MyVacation) returns 11! :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

So what does this return?

SELECT Destination, DATEDIFF(day, @MyVacationStart, @MyVacationEnd);

Destination

-------------------------------- -----------

Caribbean Cruise with the family 8

(1 row(s) affected)

Now if I can get DBCC TimeTravel(days) to work πŸ˜›

Enjoy. We are aiming for Glacier National Park this summer.

Not a family trip but I am heading to Jazz Fest in New Orleans the last weekend in April. One of my good friends, who actually works for her company, grew up there. [/b]It was her idea. She said "you and James need some guy time in New Orleans, you should go to Jazz Fest". Seriously? My wife wants me to go there without the family for several days with no responsibilities of any kind? I of course promptly agreed. I will need a day or two to recover before coming home, it takes longer these days to recover from these kinds of things.

Haha! In my home that would be a polite way of saying, "you've been getting on my nerves a bit much lately". ;-). We can't compete with New Orleans but I always recommend people check out Chicago's Jazz Fest. And nobody can compete with our Blues Fest.

Yeah the Blues Fest there is pretty awesome. Of course in KC we don't need a festival...it is all year long!!! πŸ˜‰

And you have good BBQ there too. Of course, New Orleans has cajun, which is its own special breed of goodness.

Amen to that my friend. I haven't been there in a couple years so am really looking forward to it. And of course let's not forget the absinthe bar. http://www.ruebourbon.com/oldabsinthehouse/[/url]

Please please pretty please take a look at Jaeger's in the French Quarter. I went there as an impoverished postdoc in about 1987 and it was amazing. Jaeger's book in the link explains the holy trinity, describes how to make your own seasonings (the blackening seasoning is stunning with fresh tuna) and generally makes cooking all of your favourite Cajun grub a walk in the park.

We went there last trip and I have plans to go again. It was good. I didn't know about the cookbook though. Will definitely grab a copy of that.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• TomThomson (3/3/2016)

Has something gone wrong with sending notifications over the last day or two? A lot of new posts on the thread, but I haven't had a single notification for it (or for anything else at SQL Server Central, and there have been messages in at least a few other threads I'm subscribed to).

Not that I know of. I'm getting notifications for this and other threads.

We have been fighting with Spamcop a bit. As some of the SPAM addresses slip through, apparently it's out fault someone registered with us, and some of the blacklists have us on them. We also get caught if a gmail/yahoo/hotmail address recycles and the person doesn't unsubscribe but reports spam.

• 53K posts, and counting...

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/3/2016)

TomThomson (3/3/2016)

Not that I know of. I'm getting notifications for this and other threads.

We have been fighting with Spamcop a bit. As some of the SPAM addresses slip through, apparently it's out fault someone registered with us, and some of the blacklists have us on them. We also get caught if a gmail/yahoo/hotmail address recycles and the person doesn't unsubscribe but reports spam.

That's a near-constant battle. Sending lots of email to multiple domains, quick send rates, spam reports and your sender score are a part of the game. It doesn't make it any easier that different providers have different requirements and measures and they aren't consistent or even published in some cases.

• It is a regular battle. One reason that RG moved to outsource the sending. I used to do this, and it was a day a week to work through spam issues with various providers and blacklists, fix sending and unsubscribe code, etc.

• I suppose I could toss this question into it's own topic, but meh...

To anyone who has gone on any of the previous SQL Cruises, if you brought your SO along, about how much more did that add to the cost? Presuming said SO wasn't *also* a SQL junky...

I'm looking at the August 2017 cruise, and want to get an idea what it might run for me and the wife to go (me being a SQL Cruiser, her... Well, I'm glad she's not a shopper...)

• The added cost is only for the SOs cruise. There's no added cost for the SO to be registered with the group and take part in the social aspects of the cruise. That stuff is assumed.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• jasona.work (3/4/2016)

I suppose I could toss this question into it's own topic, but meh...

To anyone who has gone on any of the previous SQL Cruises, if you brought your SO along, about how much more did that add to the cost? Presuming said SO wasn't *also* a SQL junky...

I'm looking at the August 2017 cruise, and want to get an idea what it might run for me and the wife to go (me being a SQL Cruiser, her... Well, I'm glad she's not a shopper...)

It's just the extra cabin fare. Depends on the cabin that you get. When I went in 2012, it was $2000 for an inside stateroom, and $3500 for a stateroom with a balcony (both with 2 persons)

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (3/4/2016)

jasona.work (3/4/2016)

It's just the extra cabin fare. Depends on the cabin that you get. When I went in 2012, it was $2000 for an inside stateroom, and $3500 for a stateroom with a balcony (both with 2 persons)

So to make sure I'm reading this right then:

$2000 for a stateroom, total, for both of us (not $2000/ea), plus for me the extra cost to attend the various sessions (social events both of us get to attend.)

Sound right?

Oh, and those are the prices from 2012, and have undoubtedly changed.

• jasona.work (3/4/2016)

WayneS (3/4/2016)

jasona.work (3/4/2016)

$2000 for a stateroom, total, for both of us (not $2000/ea), plus for me the extra cost to attend the various sessions (social events both of us get to attend.)

Sound right?

Contact the cruise line, but do it through the concierge assigned to SQL Cruise. You can find it at the web site. One key point, also look at and recheck the NCL web site regularly. They sometimes have specials that the concierge doesn't know about (which kinda sucks).

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (3/4/2016)

jasona.work (3/4/2016)

WayneS (3/4/2016)

jasona.work (3/4/2016)

Sound right?

Contact the cruise line, but do it through the concierge assigned to SQL Cruise. You can find it at the web site. One key point, also look at and recheck the NCL web site regularly. They sometimes have specials that the concierge doesn't know about (which kinda sucks).

I concur. There was a deal on the website I saw right after talking to the concierge. It was a slightly better package than what he had. The concierge is also really good to work with.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I'll shoot the concierge an e-mail tonight. At the moment, I'm just trying to get a rough idea as to the price, so I can look at budgeting for it...

Wonder if I could get the boss to pay for it?

πŸ˜‰

On an unrelated note, the look of relief on the face of the guy who's in charge of acquiring the software licenses, when he finds out that we have SA and thus don't need to buy new licenses for SQL 2014 @ ~$11k/ea (2-core packs, and we'd need quite a few) is priceless...

:hehe:

(BTW, he talked to our licensing reps to get that info, we're not interpreting MS licensing in our favor)

Viewing 15 posts - 52,996 through 53,010 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply