Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ed Wagner (10/5/2015)

You know, I think the Silver Spoons are going to need to be reordered - I'd suggest at least a case. SS is in rare form today, asking overly-vague questions with even less detail than normal. Considering what's normal, that's really saying something.

Actually, the lower level of the tent in the Desert has thousands of cases of Silver Spoons. We stocked up the last time we placed an order.

• Lynn Pettis (10/5/2015)

Ed Wagner (10/5/2015)

You know, I think the Silver Spoons are going to need to be reordered - I'd suggest at least a case. SS is in rare form today, asking overly-vague questions with even less detail than normal. Considering what's normal, that's really saying something.

Actually, the lower level of the tent in the Desert has thousands of cases of Silver Spoons. We stocked up the last time we placed an order.

I get the impression that he's not very far up the chain of command. I seems as if he just gets orders thrown at him by higher ups.

My big thing is that he gets so many articles, books, etc. etc. thrown at him and it seems like he either never looks at them, or, if he does, he cannot remember anything.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John (10/5/2015)

Lynn Pettis (10/5/2015)

Ed Wagner (10/5/2015)

I get the impression that he's not very far up the chain of command. I seems as if he just gets orders thrown at him by higher ups.

My big thing is that he gets so many articles, books, etc. etc. thrown at him and it seems like he either never looks at them, or, if he does, he cannot remember anything.

It's been said before that SS may not actually be one person, or not the same person that they used to be. Looking at the most recent posts they seem to be written differently from earlier ones this year. The English doesn't seem to be as good and even for him (her\them) the questions are very vague.

It would certainly go some way to explaining why at 4k-some points they seem to be barely capable.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (10/6/2015)

Michael L John (10/5/2015)

Lynn Pettis (10/5/2015)

Ed Wagner (10/5/2015)

It's been said before that SS may not actually be one person, or not the same person that they used to be. Looking at the most recent posts they seem to be written differently from earlier ones this year. The English doesn't seem to be as good and even for him (her\them) the questions are very vague.

It would certainly go some way to explaining why at 4k-some points they seem to be barely capable.

The one thing that remains consistent is the resistance to research, learning and help himself. I liked Michael's suggestion to invest in himself. I also suggested that he read the link in his signature (Jeff's article on how to post a question) and then actually follow the advice given there.

• Ed Wagner (10/6/2015)

BWFC (10/6/2015)

Lynn Pettis (10/5/2015)

Ed Wagner (10/5/2015)

The one thing that remains consistent is the resistance to research, learning and help himself. I liked Michael's suggestion to invest in himself. I also suggested that he read the link in his signature (Jeff's article on how to post a question) and then actually follow the advice given there.

That's very true but if Person X goes off and does the research but is then replaced by Person Y who knows nothing then we're back to square one. Don't get me wrong, you'd think that after all this time something would have sunk in, even collectively perhaps. Maybe I'm being optimistic in thinking that nobody could be that lazy and uninterested in what they do for a living.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (10/6/2015)

Ed Wagner (10/6/2015)

BWFC (10/6/2015)

Lynn Pettis (10/5/2015)

Ed Wagner (10/5/2015)

That's very true but if Person X goes off and does the research but is then replaced by Person Y who knows nothing then we're back to square one. Don't get me wrong, you'd think that after all this time something would have sunk in, even collectively perhaps. Maybe I'm being optimistic in thinking that nobody could be that lazy and uninterested in what they do for a living.

Sadly, I see that exact situation all the time.

• Gonna be a loonnngg day...

Because some paperwork want filled out, my AD account has been disabled. So I'm sitting here on my phone trying to at least do work related research...

And I keep wanting to sign in.

The other DBA is off today, as well, so here's hoping nothing crisisy comes up. (Which it shouldn't, happily I've got a rather stable environment /meknocksonwood)

• Sadly, I see that exact situation all the time.

I can't get my head around that kind of attitude, particularly when there'e so much to learn. Like you say, sad.

jasona.work (10/6/2015)

Gonna be a loonnngg day...

Because some paperwork want filled out, my AD account has been disabled. So I'm sitting here on my phone trying to at least do work related research...

The other DBA is off today, as well, so here's hoping nothing crisisy comes up. (Which it shouldn't, happily I've got a rather stable environment /meknocksonwood)

That happened to me the other day. The (not much-)helpdesk interpreted my request to have a password reset as an instruction to disable my corporate account. It took the best part of eighteen hours to get it rectified; very frustrating.

• BWFC (10/6/2015)

I can't get my head around that kind of attitude, particularly when there'e so much to learn. Like you say, sad.

Yeah, I can't either. It's like there's no drive to learn anything new. I actually enjoy learning new things and new ways to accomplishing things more efficiently.

• jasona.work (10/6/2015)

Gonna be a loonnngg day...

Yep - been there. You should already know that since the other DBA is off today and your account is locked out, today is the day things will come crashing down and need your intervention to do something simple. This is the least opportune moment, so this is the time. Also, the more quickly you can get your account enabled, the less likely a crisis is to occur. I forget who's signature contains the quote "A pessimist is an optimist with experience" but it's so very true.

I would think that a warning would be shown or an email sent a few days before such an update. However, knowing who you work for, I understand that such a policy change could require an act of Congress and 18 months to implement.

• Yeah, a warning would have been nice, but like you said, an act of congress...

Going to go bonkers today, keep wanting to get signed in...

Wish I had some PTO so I could just go home for the day, but I don't so...

• Ed Wagner (10/6/2015)

BWFC (10/6/2015)

Yeah, I can't either. It's like there's no drive to learn anything new. I actually enjoy learning new things and new ways to accomplishing things more efficiently.

Last weekends SQL Saturday was full of free training. Not to mention the large amounts of beer afterwards. I "advertised" this to everyone repeatedly in multiple departments.

Nobody showed. Its far easier to throw problems at the DBA!

Michael L John

• Michael L John (10/6/2015)

Ed Wagner (10/6/2015)

BWFC (10/6/2015)

Last weekends SQL Saturday was full of free training. Not to mention the large amounts of beer afterwards. I "advertised" this to everyone repeatedly in multiple departments.

The company where I used to work sent 3-5 people to the PASS Summit every year and there were 3 of us running a local user group where we regularly had 6-8 people from the company in attendance. I left. Now no one goes to Summit and no one goes to the local user group. It's frightening just how little interest people have in their career. However, for the vast majority of people, it's 9-5 and they're done. Any learning has to be company motivated and company supplied on company time. Then of course, they wonder why Peggy got promoted and they didn't. I'm sure it has nothing to do with Peggy doing lots of additional learning on her own time.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (10/6/2015)

Michael L John (10/6/2015)

Ed Wagner (10/6/2015)

BWFC (10/6/2015)

The company where I used to work sent 3-5 people to the PASS Summit every year and there were 3 of us running a local user group where we regularly had 6-8 people from the company in attendance. I left. Now no one goes to Summit and no one goes to the local user group. It's frightening just how little interest people have in their career. However, for the vast majority of people, it's 9-5 and they're done. Any learning has to be company motivated and company supplied on company time. Then of course, they wonder why Peggy got promoted and they didn't. I'm sure it has nothing to do with Peggy doing lots of additional learning on her own time.

I think that statement about sums it up, but I can't imagine the reasoning behind it. It defies all logic and rational thought. Then again, maybe logic and rational thought are too subjective. In most cases, SQL can be taught if the recipient wants to learn. So very much is about attitude. Lighting a fire under someone only lasts so long before the fire burns out. Intrinsic motivation can be learned, but cannot be taught.

• Ed Wagner (10/6/2015)

Grant Fritchey (10/6/2015)

Michael L John (10/6/2015)

Ed Wagner (10/6/2015)

BWFC (10/6/2015)

I think that statement about sums it up, but I can't imagine the reasoning behind it. It defies all logic and rational thought. Then again, maybe logic and rational thought are too subjective. In most cases, SQL can be taught if the recipient wants to learn. So very much is about attitude. Lighting a fire under someone only lasts so long before the fire burns out. Intrinsic motivation can be learned, but cannot be taught.

It's not just SQL. It's development, networking, storage, and everything.

There just seems to have been this shift from getting it done right the first time to just getting something done.

Having recently changed positions, it's been refreshing that the folks in my group actually work hard at "being better".

Michael L John

Viewing 15 posts - 50,926 through 50,940 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply