Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (10/6/2015)

Michael L John (10/6/2015)

Ed Wagner (10/6/2015)

BWFC (10/6/2015)

Sadly, I see that exact situation all the time.

I can't get my head around that kind of attitude, particularly when there'e so much to learn. Like you say, sad.

Yeah, I can't either. It's like there's no drive to learn anything new. I actually enjoy learning new things and new ways to accomplishing things more efficiently.

Last weekends SQL Saturday was full of free training. Not to mention the large amounts of beer afterwards. I "advertised" this to everyone repeatedly in multiple departments.

Nobody showed. Its far easier to throw problems at the DBA!

The company where I used to work sent 3-5 people to the PASS Summit every year and there were 3 of us running a local user group where we regularly had 6-8 people from the company in attendance. I left. Now no one goes to Summit and no one goes to the local user group. It's frightening just how little interest people have in their career. However, for the vast majority of people, it's 9-5 and they're done. Any learning has to be company motivated and company supplied on company time. Then of course, they wonder why Peggy got promoted and they didn't. I'm sure it has nothing to do with Peggy doing lots of additional learning on her own time.

I wish I was Peggy, I pay for my own training courses and use annual leave to attend them and still respond to people on my time off. To me it seems that there has to be a mutual benefit between employee and employer, I mean come on, who wants their SQL DBA going on SQL Server courses. 😉

• Grant Fritchey (10/6/2015)

The company where I used to work sent 3-5 people to the PASS Summit every year and there were 3 of us running a local user group where we regularly had 6-8 people from the company in attendance. I left. Now no one goes to Summit and no one goes to the local user group. It's frightening just how little interest people have in their career. However, for the vast majority of people, it's 9-5 and they're done. Any learning has to be company motivated and company supplied on company time. Then of course, they wonder why Peggy got promoted and they didn't. I'm sure it has nothing to do with Peggy doing lots of additional learning on her own time.

From my perspective, I used to go to a lot of events in the area. I really enjoyed our local community. It was healthy and active, especially if guest speakers roll into town.

The reason I have stopped lately is just that I'm pretty burnt out after work. I spend a good amount of time in SQL Server and other systems where it's hard to get away or dedicate time. When it comes to the weekends, kids and family always take priority.

As of lately however, I've been spending most of my time learning new things outside of SQL Server at home alone through various certification tracks (e.g. video courses). Expanding my knowledge to Hadoop, HBase, Sqoop, Puppet, MemSQL and more. Things I feel will help me stay relevant for the future and my goal of being a Enterprise Data Architect.

Spending so much time focused on SQL Server has started to scare me as of lately in staying valuable compared to all the seniors and outsourcing/offshoring that's out there.

• BL0B_EATER (10/6/2015)

I wish I was Peggy, I pay for my own training courses and use annual leave to attend them and still respond to people on my time off. To me it seems that there has to be a mutual benefit between employee and employer, I mean come on, who wants their SQL DBA going on SQL Server courses. 😉

Yup, paying for SQLPass myself this year, because I was told not to bother asking.

So in January - new job. Coincidence?

• BWFC (10/6/2015)

Michael L John (10/5/2015)

Lynn Pettis (10/5/2015)

Ed Wagner (10/5/2015)

You know, I think the Silver Spoons are going to need to be reordered - I'd suggest at least a case. SS is in rare form today, asking overly-vague questions with even less detail than normal. Considering what's normal, that's really saying something.

Actually, the lower level of the tent in the Desert has thousands of cases of Silver Spoons. We stocked up the last time we placed an order.

I get the impression that he's not very far up the chain of command. I seems as if he just gets orders thrown at him by higher ups.

My big thing is that he gets so many articles, books, etc. etc. thrown at him and it seems like he either never looks at them, or, if he does, he cannot remember anything.

It's been said before that SS may not actually be one person, or not the same person that they used to be. Looking at the most recent posts they seem to be written differently from earlier ones this year. The English doesn't seem to be as good and even for him (her\them) the questions are very vague.

It would certainly go some way to explaining why at 4k-some points they seem to be barely capable.

Just to solve our curiosity, someone ought to PM the SS and ask some of these questions. And if it's multiple people, ask why they don't just create a new account for each person.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• #gloat Company's paying for the trip to the US. If I was speaking at Pass Summit, they'd be paying for hotel too. They paid for my trip to the Cape Town and Durban SQLSaturdays, and all days at a conference are considered normal work days.

#endgloat

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • BrainDonor (10/6/2015)

BL0B_EATER (10/6/2015)

Yup, paying for SQLPass myself this year, because I was told not to bother asking.

Big part of why I went solo. If I'm in a FTE position and paying for my own training and using my annual leave I may as well go to the whole hog and work for myself. I understand it's not that easy a decision for a lot of people, or possible. But I am glad I did it.

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (10/6/2015)

BrainDonor (10/6/2015)

Big part of why I went solo. If I'm in a FTE position and paying for my own training and using my annual leave I may as well go to the whole hog and work for myself. I understand it's not that easy a decision for a lot of people, or possible. But I am glad I did it.

Rodders...

I'll make that move once I think I'm good enough. But you should see the list of homework that Paul Randal gave me earlier this year. It might take a while.

• BrainDonor (10/6/2015)

rodjkidd (10/6/2015)

BrainDonor (10/6/2015)

Rodders...

I'll make that move once I think I'm good enough. But you should see the list of homework that Paul Randal gave me earlier this year. It might take a while.

I can imagine!

So for Summit will you get to Seattle in time for the meet and greet / official opening of Summit on the Tuesday night?

It will be good to catch up in person.

is it your first Summit or have have you been before? I can't remember if you said.

Rodders...

• GilaMonster (10/6/2015)

#gloat Company's paying for the trip to the US. If I was speaking at Pass Summit, they'd be paying for hotel too. They paid for my trip to the Cape Town and Durban SQLSaturdays, and all days at a conference are considered normal work days.

#endgloat

Nice!

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• BrainDonor (10/6/2015)

BL0B_EATER (10/6/2015)

Exactly.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• My memory is vague on this, but I seem to recall that killing a running DBCC CHECKDB was not recommended as it left some things still in place until a DBCC CHECKDB was run to completion. Is this still true?

• Having one of those days where I'm sitting here in slack-jawed wonder that some of the people we serve are actually getting paid to do whatever the heck it is that they actually do.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• GilaMonster (10/6/2015)

#gloat Company's paying for the trip to the US. If I was speaking at Pass Summit, they'd be paying for hotel too. They paid for my trip to the Cape Town and Durban SQLSaturdays, and all days at a conference are considered normal work days.

#endgloat

#SoJealous

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• SQLRNNR (10/6/2015)

GilaMonster (10/6/2015)

#endgloat

Nice!

Yeah it is. I wish I had such a nice arrangement, but I don't think it'll ever happen.

• rodjkidd (10/6/2015)

I can imagine!

So for Summit will you get to Seattle in time for the meet and greet / official opening of Summit on the Tuesday night?

It will be good to catch up in person.

is it your first Summit or have have you been before? I can't remember if you said.

Rodders...

I arrive at about mid-day, so should be attending the official opening.

This is my second SQLPass, 2012 was the first. Both trips to SQLPass have coincided with changes in employment - it appears to tick a few boxes with employers when you're willing to go. Especially if you're so determined that you've have had to use your own time and money.

Viewing 15 posts - 50,941 through 50,955 (of 66,603 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply