Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (7/27/2015)

SQLRNNR (7/27/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (7/27/2015)

Pseudo-simple

Wow. Even on The Thread I am having the learning of the stuff. I've never heard of this until today.

Thanks for bring up the topic, Jason. And hold still, will you? I need to cook some eggs and your suit is the only flame-proof surface available.

We love pseudo-simple.

Better yet is that we love when the full is finally taken and then nobody ever bothers to take a tlog backup.

Ever see the model tlog grow to 10+GB? That is another fun one. All because of the tlog backup not being done on that database.:-D

Why in heaven's name would anyone set their model db to FULL or BULK_LOGGED? With the default set as SIMPLE, one should never have to back up the tlog on the system dbs.

On install the model db is set to FULL recovery. This is one of my standard changes run after an installation.

Yes, I've seen the model T-log grow pretty large because of this. Totally annoying when it happens.

• Jack Corbett (7/27/2015)

SQLRNNR (7/27/2015)

Pseudo-simple

Wow. Even on The Thread I am having the learning of the stuff. I've never heard of this until today.

Thanks for bring up the topic, Jason. And hold still, will you? I need to cook some eggs and your suit is the only flame-proof surface available.

We love pseudo-simple.

Better yet is that we love when the full is finally taken and then nobody ever bothers to take a tlog backup.

Ever see the model tlog grow to 10+GB? That is another fun one. All because of the tlog backup not being done on that database.:-D

Why in heaven's name would anyone set their model db to FULL or BULK_LOGGED? With the default set as SIMPLE, one should never have to back up the tlog on the system dbs.

On install the model db is set to FULL recovery. This is one of my standard changes run after an installation.

Yes, I've seen the model T-log grow pretty large because of this. Totally annoying when it happens.

AHHHHHH. Did a compare of my personal install to the corporate servers and discovered you are correct. Corporate must include that change in their pre-packaged install file, which is why I never noticed it.

Now I feel silly.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• So...

If I were to say that one of Gail's answers wasn't, well, entirely accurate... do you think this would get her out to Summit this year to whoop on me about it?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

SQLRNNR (7/27/2015)

Pseudo-simple

We love pseudo-simple.

I've come across this so many times, users/developers/"dba"'s with no understanding what so ever of the recovery model concept, does my head in really! So to answer the question, they don't know better.

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (7/27/2015)

SQLRNNR (7/27/2015)

Pseudo-simple

We love pseudo-simple.

I've come across this so many times, users/developers/"dba"'s with no understanding what so ever of the recovery model concept, does my head in really! So to answer the question, they don't know better.

😎

This one is my fault. I didn't realize FULL was default on Model. Which is weird since SIMPLE is default on all other system dbs. Also, all our dbs are set SIMPLE as part of the install process somewhere (we didn't get to install SQL 2008, so I'm not sure at what point in the process the option got updated). So I was comparing a complete setup to my own forgetfulness / ignorance.

:blush:

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jack Corbett (7/27/2015)

SQLRNNR (7/27/2015)

Pseudo-simple

We love pseudo-simple.

IMHO - it's a bug.

But it is easy enough to either include in the routine to backup tlogs or to just create a new job that backs it up to the NUL device.

Leaving it in FULL is perfectly reasonable as well. One less thing to have to remember to change on that new database in prod you are standing up. But it really boils down to following the checklists.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Could anyone check this one out, feels like I'm missing something

😎

Eirikur Eiriksson (7/27/2015)

SQLRNNR (7/27/2015)

Pseudo-simple

We love pseudo-simple.

😎

This one is my fault. I didn't realize FULL was default on Model. Which is weird since SIMPLE is default on all other system dbs. Also, all our dbs are set SIMPLE as part of the install process somewhere (we didn't get to install SQL 2008, so I'm not sure at what point in the process the option got updated). So I was comparing a complete setup to my own forgetfulness / ignorance.

:blush:

On this I do think that the defaults are flawed, shouldn't be this way unless the install would force the configurations of the appropriate backups. The system dbs are slightly different and not applicable as such in this context.

😎

TomThomson (7/26/2015)

Grant Fritchey (7/26/2015)

Managed to get a fully-loaded station wagon (four people plus bags) all the way up to 120MPH (195KPH) on the Autobahn.

Don't get caught at that one in France unless (a) one of the other people in the car can drive and (b) you've got enough cash to pay the fine.

According to what I heard on Top Gear a while back, the French police can charge you whatever they want for a fine. And they usually ask for all the money in your wallet. So apparently you don't want to speed with too much money or you'll lose it all.

If you don't have enough money in your wallet they will take you to an ATM for you to acquire some.

The temporary disqualification thing can cost far more than the fine: you will need to pay for parking until you are heading home, pay for transport in the meantime, pay someone to drive your car from where the police parked it to where it needs to go - perhaps to your ferry or to the border or to the car hire return place, and pay for the driver's taxi-ride back to where he started from. I know this can be very expensive because my yougest son got stuck with it a couple of years back when he did silly speeds in France - I think he's now got the message that speeds high enough to incline the cops to go really hard on you are definitely silly.

Tom

• WayneS (7/27/2015)

jasona.work (7/27/2015)

And I just realized that until we get a TLog backup, it's in "pseudo simple" mode, ain't it...

Pseudo-simple is a new database in the full recovery model that hasn't had a full backup taken yet. Until that backup occurs, the transaction log behaves as it the database were in the simple recovery model. Once that full backup happens, then the tlog starts saving everything, and growing until a tlog backup occurs.

Or a database which has just been switched to full recovery but hasn't had a full/diff backup since. Or (pre SQL 2008) a DB that's just had a backup log with truncate only and hasn't had a full/diff backup since

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • WayneS (7/27/2015)

So...

If I were to say that one of Gail's answers wasn't, well, entirely accurate... do you think this would get her out to Summit this year to whoop on me about it?

Depends how. If you're going to write it similar to a couple of our regulars or with a tone of condescendence ('Actually, ...', 'Really? In all circumstances?') , then yes you'll get a kalp when I next see you.

Bear in mind that sometimes I don't give a 100%, absolutely correct answer.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (7/28/2015)

WayneS (7/27/2015)

So...

Depends how. If you're going to write it similar to a couple of our regulars or with a tone of condescendence ('Actually, ...', 'Really? In all circumstances?') , then yes you'll get a kalp when I next see you.

Poor Wayne. It appears the "I must to Summit go so I can kalp Wayne" response you wanted is not to be.

"Next I see you" just doesn't have the same resonance. @=)

• Brandie Tarvin (7/28/2015)

GilaMonster (7/28/2015)

WayneS (7/27/2015)

So...

Poor Wayne. It appears the "I must to Summit go so I can kalp Wayne" response you wanted is not to be.

"Next I see you" just doesn't have the same resonance. @=)

But I do think you have to give Wayne some bonus points there, laying himself on the line to encourage Gail to go to the Summit 🙂

Instead he's going to get kelped... what ever that is :O And only "the next time I see you" !

Rodders...

• A misspelling. Should have been klap (Afrikaans)

Gail Shaw

• Ouch! Worse than a clip round the ear then...

Good luck Wayne! 😉

Rodders...

Viewing 15 posts - 49,681 through 49,695 (of 66,597 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply