Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Alvin Ramard (7/1/2015)

Lynn Pettis (7/1/2015)

How do people keep their jobs when it is obvious they are dependent on the good will of strangers on the internet to diagnose and resolve database issues, especially some who have been working with SQL Server for at least 10 years.

Some keep their jobs because the bosses are not smart enough to notice.

Same goes for those bosses.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (7/1/2015)

Sean Lange (7/1/2015)

jasona.work (7/1/2015)

Man, I hate the week leading up to a 3-day weekend like this...

Half the people (the smart ones?) take the other 4 days off, and the people who don't, probably half are only in the office physically...

Me, I'm mostly here, at least I've got some interesting issues to work on (Log backup of one DB w/3rd party backup utility stalls at 8% done)

I know what you mean. I think I checked out about 2:30 on Monday. At least for me I have a 5 day weekend. My son and I will be at Webelos camp Sunday - Tuesday. It is super hot but at least there is a nice pool at the camp we get to swim in.

Have a good time with your son. Webelos was a blast with my son.

I've been mentally checked out all week too. It's been a struggle to pay attention and get stuff done. We're taking off for a three week trip on Saturday (yeah, flying on the 4th, that's a new one for me). Going to the UK, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, France & Germany to see stuff like Ypres, the Somme, Waterloo, Arnhem, Bastogne, Aachen & Cologne.

Ah, Belgium again? I knew you couldn't resist the beer 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• jasona.work (7/1/2015)

Half the people (the smart ones?) take the other 4 days off, and the people who don't, probably half are only in the office physically...

Me, I'm mostly here, at least I've got some interesting issues to work on (Log backup of one DB w/3rd party backup utility stalls at 8% done)

I like the quiet time.

• Lynn Pettis (7/1/2015)

How do people keep their jobs when it is obvious they are dependent on the good will of strangers on the internet to diagnose and resolve database issues, especially some who have been working with SQL Server for at least 10 years.

The goodwill of strangers.

• Koen Verbeeck (7/1/2015)

Grant Fritchey (7/1/2015)

Sean Lange (7/1/2015)

jasona.work (7/1/2015)

I know what you mean. I think I checked out about 2:30 on Monday. At least for me I have a 5 day weekend. My son and I will be at Webelos camp Sunday - Tuesday. It is super hot but at least there is a nice pool at the camp we get to swim in.

I've been mentally checked out all week too. It's been a struggle to pay attention and get stuff done. We're taking off for a three week trip on Saturday (yeah, flying on the 4th, that's a new one for me). Going to the UK, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, France & Germany to see stuff like Ypres, the Somme, Waterloo, Arnhem, Bastogne, Aachen & Cologne.

I wasn't lying when I told you how much I loved visiting there. I'll come back at every opportunity. And yeah, the beer certainly helps.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Sean Lange (7/1/2015)

Sean Lange (7/1/2015)

jasona.work (7/1/2015)

This is his second year as a Webelo so we pretty much know what to expect. This coming school year will be his last as a cub and the first year for our youngest. Assuming I continue as Cubmaster it will be 9 years in that position when my youngest finally crosses over. Between that and coaching 2 soccer teams (down from 3 last season), it is a wonder I even find time to work. 😉

I did four years as a Cubmaster and then I've been Assistant Scoutmaster, Scoutmaster & Assistant Scoutmaster again over the last five years. I've been less and less though because of travel and other commitments. It was a great experience.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Lynn Pettis (7/1/2015)

I don't mind saying, there are days when I pound the desk and scream "And this so & so is actually getting paid!" at the top of my lungs. Scares the dog. Makes my wife laugh. I'll sometimes ask here to more insanely obvious questions to see if she can get them right, and with zero database experience, she does. Makes you shake your head sometimes.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• jasona.work (7/1/2015)

QUICK! Look over there!! It's a dinosaur!!

Dude... I'm standing right here...

Sorry you missed seeing the dinosaur though, it was really cool...

:hehe:

Yes, we are. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Grant Fritchey (7/1/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (7/1/2015)

Sean Lange (7/1/2015)

jasona.work (7/1/2015)

I wasn't lying when I told you how much I loved visiting there. I'll come back at every opportunity. And yeah, the beer certainly helps.

When are you coming to Belgium? We are currently in a heat wave, so bring sunscreen 🙂

• jasona.work (7/1/2015)

You know a topic is going in a bad direction when Gail starts copying-and-pasting a previous reply from the same topic...

I don't recall doing that in the last couple of days.

😛 :hehe:

It saves my keyboard from unnecessary wear.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Koen Verbeeck (7/2/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (7/1/2015)

Sean Lange (7/1/2015)

jasona.work (7/1/2015)

When are you coming to Belgium? We are currently in a heat wave, so bring sunscreen 🙂

I liked Belgium when I visited. The beer does help of course 😀 Must go back again soon.

Grant when and where will you be in the UK?

Don't stand a chance of catching up in person, but I thought I'd check just in case you end up just up the road!

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (7/2/2015)

I liked Belgium when I visited. The beer does help of course 😀 Must go back again soon.

Rodders...

Which parts did you visit?

rodjkidd (7/2/2015)

Rodders...

Which parts did you visit?

Long weekend, based in Verviers for the wonderful venue Route 66. A day in Brussels - obviously. And a trip to the town of Spa, to find the race track nowhere near it 🙂

Saw three gigs there - went for one. Which I would guess doesn't come as a big surprise to anyone on here that knows me 😉

The fantastic Spocks Beard, who couldn't fit in their usual London gig, support was Kino (1/2 of It Bites, Pete from Marillion - so had to go, and John Mitchell on vocals)...

A lot of people from the UK were there for that one. So much so the owner, having met us the day before, said "Ah you are English follow me..." And proceeded to put us all together!

Then we found out Vander Plas were playing on the Friday, so went to that. Except only half the band turned up, so they did a weird sort of lounge lizard piano and vocal show. Nothing like their normal stuff. Heavy metal / prog. I hadn't heard them before then, so went to see what they were like. Obviously I left still not having any idea what they were really like.

Then we saw that RPWL from Germany were playing on the Sunday. So went to that. German band, started out as a Pink Floyd covers band. I like them. My mate said - they should have stayed a Pink Floyd covers band!

I had too much to drink in the restaurant on the Sunday. Went to leave and as soon as I hit the fresh air I also fell over! Damn that Belgium beer! 😉

When in Brussels we visited the comic museum - which was fun.

Spa was very nice.

Rodders...

Week after next. Next week is in the UK.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• rodjkidd (7/2/2015)

Grant when and where will you be in the UK?

Don't stand a chance of catching up in person, but I thought I'd check just in case you end up just up the road!

Rodders...

Heading back to the Redgate Mothership for reprogramming. I'll be in Cambridge all next week. Then the weekend in London with the family.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 15 posts - 49,201 through 49,215 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply