Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (5/11/2015)

SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Geez, now someone doesn't even understand that the code they are running generates and runs dynamic SQL.

What is dynamic sql?

Doesn't it involve fireworks and music?

ISTR there was some sort of libation involved, but I can't figure out if an minimum age applied as well.

I'm not sure about the fireworks, but I thought it ran in some sort of excited way. It didn't always make it more efficient or anything, but the SQL had a good attitude and it was happy to be running.

• xsevensinzx (5/7/2015)

WayneS (5/4/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/4/2015)

I have to agree as well. I have almost 20 years experience and I know that I don't know everything. I still have a lot more learn as I haven't used everything in SQL Server as you can only use that which your employer uses and is willing to use.

So true Lynn.

Off-topic, I see you (WayneS) will present in a few weeks in my area about tips and tricks. 😀

I shall attend just for that!

Make sure that you introduce yourself... and bring all your coworkers to learn also!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

I do love showing people Jeff's DelimitedSplit8K function and pointing them to his article.

:blush: I'm honored, ol' friend. It's not mine though. We've all made improvements to it over time. I'm just the caretaker of a wonderful community effort.

Yes, the community has made improvements... but it was your insight that got it to the point where it was a high performing piece of black-arts SQL in the first place.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (5/11/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

I do love showing people Jeff's DelimitedSplit8K function and pointing them to his article.

:blush: I'm honored, ol' friend. It's not mine though. We've all made improvements to it over time. I'm just the caretaker of a wonderful community effort.

Yes, the community has made improvements... but it was your insight that got it to the point where it was a high performing piece of black-arts SQL in the first place.

Jeff, you know Wayne is right. Allow me to add that it was your explanation of it that made the black-arts code understandable to a great many people.

• Looks like Grant hadn't had his daily mandatory caffiene intake when he posted here:

:hehe:

On an unrelated note, does anyone here have any experience with Barracudda Networks backup appliance, both in a SQL and general sense? If so, how is it?

• jasona.work (5/13/2015)

Looks like Grant hadn't had his daily mandatory caffiene intake when he posted here:

On an unrelated note, does anyone here have any experience with Barracudda Networks backup appliance, both in a SQL and general sense? If so, how is it?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1685062-391-1.aspx

• Lynn Pettis (5/13/2015)

jasona.work (5/13/2015)

Looks like Grant hadn't had his daily mandatory caffiene intake when he posted here:

We've all posted before caffeine at one time or another. For me, it usually isn't pretty. I look at my post and ask myself what I was thinking. Admitting it, apologizing and moving forward is the approach I take. Much better than trying to cover up a screw-up like it never happened.

• Ed Wagner (5/13/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/13/2015)

jasona.work (5/13/2015)

We've all posted before caffeine at one time or another. For me, it usually isn't pretty. I look at my post and ask myself what I was thinking. Admitting it, apologizing and moving forward is the approach I take. Much better than trying to cover up a screw-up like it never happened.

Mea culpa...

I should've checked that the URL linky thing was working...

And that's after ~8 cups of coffee since 7:00am...

Maybe I need to up my intake...

Ed Wagner (5/13/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/13/2015)

jasona.work (5/13/2015)

Mea culpa...

I should've checked that the URL linky thing was working...

And that's after ~8 cups of coffee since 7:00am...

Maybe I need to up my intake...

Nah... but a transparent bottom in your coffee mug might be a help. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

I think I'm just getting senile.

Now get the hell offa my lawn.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Question for the people here...

Over the years I've been very careful to keep my blog completely non-commercial, no adverts, no plugs for my company, nothing. Partially because when I started it that was a condition my boss required (no link whatsoever to the bank I worked for then) and partially because I hate sites of the form 'here's a scrap of info, pay me for the rest'.

I'm considering changing that, adding a bit to the side bar advertising my services, mostly database tuning, and maybe books I've written/contributed to and probably more later on.

What are your feelings?

A) Why didn't you do that years ago?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

C) I will never read your blog again!!1!!!11!!!

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/14/2015)

Question for the people here...

Over the years I've been very careful to keep my blog completely non-commercial, no adverts, no plugs for my company, nothing. Partially because when I started it that was a condition my boss required (no link whatsoever to the bank I worked for then) and partially because I hate sites of the form 'here's a scrap of info, pay me for the rest'.

I'm considering changing that, adding a bit to the side bar advertising my services, mostly database tuning, and maybe books I've written/contributed to and probably more later on.

What are your feelings?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

An alternative is a "tipping jar" that some sites use (such as paypal link), or connecting up to Patreon (which some of the webcomics use).

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (5/14/2015)

An alternative is a "tipping jar" that some sites use (such as paypal link), or connecting up to Patreon (which some of the webcomics use).

Neither of which serve the intended purpose. If I wanted money directly from the site, I'd use google ads, that's not what I said I was considering doing.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • What are your feelings?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

Definitely (A)

For sure advertise your own stuff - a no brainer really

And maybe other database software that you have no objections to, or related publications, even Sci-Fi authors/books - on amazon click through, (I'm sure I remember picking up book recommendations from your site in the past)

You didn't mention it, and I wouldn't even expect you to entertain the possibility, but just to be sure:

Never any tracking cookies

Never anything that moves/plays sound/pops up and blocks half your screen

Never anything you don't see and approve the content before it goes on your site

And Never any of those random 5 celebrity fact things (or I'll never visit your site again! :hehe:)

• GilaMonster (5/14/2015)

Question for the people here...

What are your feelings?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

I'd say go for it. From the sound of it, you're not talking about putting the content behind a paywall, just putting some selfpromotion on the sidebar, I'd doubt anyone would take issue.

Now, updates might be nice, it looks like the last update (at least the one linked in your signature block) was 2012...

(This coming from someone who still hasn't taken the time to start and maintain a blog)

Viewing 15 posts - 48,421 through 48,435 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply