Are the posted questions getting worse?

• spaghettidba (11/17/2014)

Steve, spam deletion in a good thing, but preventing spam is better in my opinion.

I just registered to the site with one of my addresses and it simply asks to confirm by clicking a link.

It's a lightweight registration process and I'm sure it allows people to register very quickly, without annoyances such as captchas but it's damn too easy to exploit.

I hate captchas just as much as everyone else does, but they sure have a place in sorting humans from machines.

There are less molestful solutions, such as sweetcaptcha[/url]

That's a wonderful and simple change from regular "Captchas" but, it won't help at all here. If you look at the timing of the spam, it's probably not computer generated. There's a human behind each spam.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/17/2014)

After my deletion of this thread a few weeks back, I'm nervous about granting this.

That kind of summarizes it doesn't it? If there was an Undo/Ctrl+Z/Rollback thingy there probably would be less of an hesitation;-)

😎

I hate captchas just as much as everyone else does, but they sure have a place in sorting humans from machines.

Yeah, google's image recognition (originally intended to interpret numbers for their street view) can solve captchas that humans just can't figure out.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Jeff Moden (11/17/2014)

spaghettidba (11/17/2014)

Steve, spam deletion in a good thing, but preventing spam is better in my opinion.

I just registered to the site with one of my addresses and it simply asks to confirm by clicking a link.

It's a lightweight registration process and I'm sure it allows people to register very quickly, without annoyances such as captchas but it's damn too easy to exploit.

There are less molestful solutions, such as sweetcaptcha[/url]

That's a wonderful and simple change from regular "Captchas" but, it won't help at all here. If you look at the timing of the spam, it's probably not computer generated. There's a human behind each spam.

This makes me think of when I worked for a marketing company. They had to collect members telephone numbers from a professional association's site. The telephone numbers were available on the site as paged results (hundreds of pages) and I proposed to create a script to interpret the pages and extract the information.

They told me that it would have worked only if it took me less than 60 minutes to code it, otherwise my hourly cost would have exceeded the 4 days estimated to do it by hand in their call center in Romania.

I let them do it by hand.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• GilaMonster (11/17/2014)

Yeah, google's image recognition (originally intended to interpret numbers for their street view) can solve captchas that humans just can't figure out.

Another good reason to use less obnoxious and probably more effective captchas. πŸ™‚

-- Gianluca Sartori

GilaMonster (11/17/2014)

Another good reason to use less obnoxious and probably more effective captchas. πŸ™‚

I've signed up to websites in the past that ask you add two single digit numbers together as part of the registration process rather than captchas. Don't know how secure that sort of thing is in comparison, but from what I understand they didn't have a lot of problems with spam.

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• *stares at 3 pages of spammers*

Steve... can you convince the powers that be to put up a 'board of shame' or something on these spammers? Stick in there anything you might have on them... IP addresses, emails, etc....

Then we can just ask /b to go return the favor... or something equivalent.

Maybe they'll get the hint after that.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (11/18/2014)

*stares at 3 pages of spammers*

Steve... can you convince the powers that be to put up a 'board of shame' or something on these spammers? Stick in there anything you might have on them... IP addresses, emails, etc....

I must just have excellent timing as I usually only see 1 or 2 spam posts per page at most when I use Recent Posts -> Posts Added Today.

• Jack Corbett (11/18/2014)

Evil Kraig F (11/18/2014)

*stares at 3 pages of spammers*

I must just have excellent timing as I usually only see 1 or 2 spam posts per page at most when I use Recent Posts -> Posts Added Today.

Me too. I usually see it on the weekends, but I rarely see page after page of spam during the week.

• Chad Crawford (11/11/2014)

So apparently RedGate was passing out the game of "war" at the summit? A deck of cards with different DBA characteristics on each card? I didn't make it to the summit this year, but one of our SysAdmins just stopped by and gave me the "Grant Fritchey" card and said, "This is you."

Flattered. Wow.

Chad

hahahahaha! that's awesome!

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Well, this is shaping up to be an interesting winter here in North America...

Not even the end of November, and already we've got here in Detroit, Michigan, about 1/2" of snow on the ground...

Usually it's raining around now...

Buffalo, New York has already gotten as much snow this week as they would get in a "normal" year (about 100 inches of snow) and there's more coming down...

Time to put my sporty car in the garage and buy one of these:

πŸ˜€

• jasona.work (11/19/2014)

Well, this is shaping up to be an interesting winter here in North America...

Not even the end of November, and already we've got here in Detroit, Michigan, about 1/2" of snow on the ground...

Buffalo, New York has already gotten as much snow this week as they would get in a "normal" year (about 100 inches of snow) and there's more coming down...

πŸ˜€

I'm all in for one of these

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

πŸ˜€

Make that two. I'd be happy to test drive one for the winter. Does it come with a "support staff" to man the back? I presume that's where we deal with metro Detroit drivers? πŸ˜€

• Ed Wagner (11/19/2014)

jasona.work (11/19/2014)

πŸ˜€

Make that two. I'd be happy to test drive one for the winter. Does it come with a "support staff" to man the back? I presume that's where we deal with metro Detroit drivers? πŸ˜€

Bah, I'd say let the dummies slide into the back, the worst that happens is they scrape some of the paint of the tail-gate...

πŸ˜€

It's especially tempting to consider one, when you can find them for under $10k, in working order, at surplus places...

Ed Wagner (11/19/2014)

jasona.work (11/19/2014)

πŸ˜€

Bah, I'd say let the dummies slide into the back, the worst that happens is they scrape some of the paint of the tail-gate...

πŸ˜€

It's especially tempting to consider one, when you can find them for under $10k, in working order, at surplus places...

And then you can enjoy the 2 MPG you'll get too!

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Viewing 15 posts - 46,366 through 46,380 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply