Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (8/27/2014)

Oh look, one of my pet peeves. Email validators

Brings back baaaad memories and resulting nightmares, when marketing, MIS, CRM teams etc. think there is a contained formula for email validation when there isn't. Back in the old days one used to use finger, cannot even remember how long a go that generally stopped working, guess I'm getting stravecchio:ermm:

😎

• GilaMonster (8/27/2014)

Oh look, one of my pet peeves. Email validators

Nice gmail tip by the way 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I really must be getting jaded. I get chastised for not being able to figure out what some ones uncommented and convoluted code on a blog does, and then I see someone who can't understand what a DISTINCT is for in a select statement in an OPENQUERY.

• Lynn Pettis (8/28/2014)

I really must be getting jaded. I get chastised for not being able to figure out what some ones uncommented and convoluted code on a blog does, and then I see someone who can't understand what a DISTINCT is for in a select statement in an OPENQUERY.

No, Lynn. Isn't the reason painfully obvious? It's the crystal ball. Wherever it is, you clearly needed it. On the serious side, though, I can't read other people's minds either.

I just hope I don't become one of the people who post an answer and forget to answer the original question. 😛 I've come close a couple of times and I've also read things into the OP that weren't actually there, where if I hadn't applied said restriction, it would have made the solution so much easier and faster.

• Ed Wagner (8/28/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/28/2014)

I really must be getting jaded. I get chastised for not being able to figure out what some ones uncommented and convoluted code on a blog does, and then I see someone who can't understand what a DISTINCT is for in a select statement in an OPENQUERY.

No, Lynn. Isn't the reason painfully obvious? It's the crystal ball. Wherever it is, you clearly needed it. On the serious side, though, I can't read other people's minds either.

I just hope I don't become one of the people who post an answer and forget to answer the original question. 😛 I've come close a couple of times and I've also read things into the OP that weren't actually there, where if I hadn't applied said restriction, it would have made the solution so much easier and faster.

Now who on earth would ever do such a thing:blush:

😎

• Lynn Pettis (8/28/2014)

If it makes you feel better, earlier today I had this incredibly deep urge to start answering all questions only with more questions. No answers, no information, just directed questions to lead a particular individual by the nose to actually teach them how to find their own answer.

I declined to give in to that particular urge though and promptly forgot the thread much to everyone's sanity. :w00t:

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (8/28/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/28/2014)

If it makes you feel better, earlier today I had this incredibly deep urge to start answering all questions only with more questions. No answers, no information, just directed questions to lead a particular individual by the nose to actually teach them how to find their own answer.

I declined to give in to that particular urge though and promptly forgot the thread much to everyone's sanity. :w00t:

I think you should have done it. I do this pretty regularly when there are somewhat vague questions. Although I also sometimes try to provide code that does what I think they mean along with the questions I post.

• Just registered for the SQL in the City event in Boston on 10/8 with Steve and Grant. I'm looking forward to it, but it is a little weird that the event is on a Wednesday and when I requested tickets, the tickets are for Friday Afternoon Training...

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/29/2014)

Just registered for the SQL in the City event in Boston on 10/8 with Steve and Grant. I'm looking forward to it, but it is a little weird that the event is on a Wednesday and when I requested tickets, the tickets are for Friday Afternoon Training...

I'm going to that as well. You were lucky to get in. I had someone from my office try last night and it was sold out and then this morning someone else also got the sold out message.

• Jack Corbett (8/29/2014)

Stefan Krzywicki (8/29/2014)

Just registered for the SQL in the City event in Boston on 10/8 with Steve and Grant. I'm looking forward to it, but it is a little weird that the event is on a Wednesday and when I requested tickets, the tickets are for Friday Afternoon Training...

I'm going to that as well. You were lucky to get in. I had someone from my office try last night and it was sold out and then this morning someone else also got the sold out message.

I registered yesterday an hour after I got the email (had to talk to my boss about going during a workday) and was waitlisted. I got an email at 5AM saying there was an opening & was still able to register when I got into work.

Look forward to seeing you again!

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• It better be Wed. My flight home is Thur and I have to be in San Jose Sat.

It filled up quickly. We should have pulled today's announcement, but things were in motion already when I heard the location was full.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/29/2014)

It better be Wed. My flight home is Thur and I have to be in San Jose Sat.

It filled up quickly. We should have pulled today's announcement, but things were in motion already when I heard the location was full.

Everything else said Wed, just the ticket itself says Fri. I thought that was funny, but it did cause a lot of double and triple checking.

• So it sounds like this is finally the long-awaited seminar on DBCC TimeWarp?

Edit: and, apparently for expert users of that undocumented feature, since it will require the usage of such to acquire tickets?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/29/2014)

That site maxes out at 300 for the SQLSaturday which uses 2 floors. I don't know what it maxes out at just for the 4th floor so I'm sure it didn't take long. I'm looking forward to the event.

• Jack Corbett (8/29/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/29/2014)

That site maxes out at 300 for the SQLSaturday which uses 2 floors. I don't know what it maxes out at just for the 4th floor so I'm sure it didn't take long. I'm looking forward to the event.

That's where our user group meets and I think the room can hold around 200 people. It is a very wide, but shallow room. Holds maybe 10-12 rows of chairs, but is 3 side to side rooms joined. There are 3 projection screens to deal with the width, but it can be a hard room to talk to. If an audience person asks a question or if the presenters aren't using mics, then people on one side of the room can't really hear the other side.

Viewing 15 posts - 45,346 through 45,360 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply