Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange (8/19/2014)

The amount of spam on this site is just out of control. Something needs to happen or our users are going to go elsewhere. I for one have been around less and less because the amount of spam is so extreme. Here is a screenshot of "Active Threads".

It has been even worse last weekend... Approx. 85 out of 100 posts were plain spam. Once in a while I mark one of those as spam and report it. But the ever increasing amount is really frustrating.

There was a discussion in this thread a few days ago. Current status: Dev will need to think about a solution. Recommendations have been made by some of the folks hanging around.

But I agree, if there isn't a solution leading to a lower amount of spam or at least a significantly shortend amount of time until spam posts disappear, then this site will become less and less attractive to new users as well as to regular ones...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• We are aware of the issue. When we see SPAM, we ban the account, and all posts get deleted, but it does take a little time.

I have escalated this as a problem, and I hope that we can get some changes soon.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/19/2014)

We are aware of the issue. When we see SPAM, we ban the account, and all posts get deleted, but it does take a little time.

I have escalated this as a problem, and I hope that we can get some changes soon.

Thanks Steve.

Sorry to keep clanging the same bell but it really is frustrating. I find a half hour where I could offer some help and am met with a whole screen full of rubbish.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• I've also set our "remove all posts by person xx" job to every 5 minutes, which will help.

Unfortunately, I really need some front end development that will ignore some of these posts and prevent them from being added to the database, without returning an error for SPAM users.

• Sean Lange (8/19/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/19/2014)

We are aware of the issue. When we see SPAM, we ban the account, and all posts get deleted, but it does take a little time.

Thanks Steve.

Sorry to keep clanging the same bell but it really is frustrating. I find a half hour where I could offer some help and am met with a whole screen full of rubbish.

No worries, and I understand. It's frustrating for me as well. This weekend was particularly bad as my Internet was down at home, so I wasn't checking.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/19/2014)

I've also set our "remove all posts by person xx" job to every 5 minutes, which will help.

Unfortunately, I really need some front end development that will ignore some of these posts and prevent them from being added to the database, without returning an error for SPAM users.

Here is a name to add to that list: bokulbd400

• Lynn Pettis (8/19/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/19/2014)

I've also set our "remove all posts by person xx" job to every 5 minutes, which will help.

Here is a name to add to that list: bokulbd400

Here's another: mom.inb.d110

• SQLRNNR (8/19/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/19/2014)

How about this one, starting monthly salary of $4,927 for a Senior Database Developer. That's 2/3 what I made at School District 11.

Granted, it is a non-profit religious organization, but it isn't tiny in the least.

erm... ~60k/yr for a senior? I don't think so. Not unless you don't need to work.

Well, I might work for 60k/yr. But that's in Β£, not Β£; and it would have be a very fun exciting job, with lots of (paid) time off and going to lots of interesting conferences; and of course I don't need to work anyway. πŸ˜›

And of course I would have to be given all authority needed to inflict effective punishments on and educate forcefully any of those join-free seniors Luiz mentioned, if any were employed in the company. Maybe I could borrow a pork chop launcher from Jeff if I came across one of those people - or perhaps I could find the wet fish launcher that my wife hid (or, in wife-ese, "tidied up") five years ago.

Tom

• Those names are added.

Actually, as an FYI, you only need to report one post from a user. Once we get the name, we ban the user immediately.

• TomThomson (8/19/2014)

...that my wife hid (or, in wife-ese, "tidied up") ...

Gaaah! Don't get me started. Every time I start work on a job in the extension, all my tools are in different cupboards and drawers. It takes longer to track down what I need to do the job than it takes to do the job!

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• LutzM (8/19/2014)

It has been even worse last weekend... Approx. 85 out of 100 posts were plain spam.

The Monday newsletter e-mail was somewhat interesting--I think it highlighted 40-odd new posts in the SQL Server 2014 Administration section, of which *one* was a non-spam one.

• The bug that was afflicting the thread is fixed!!! Thanks very much, Steve. I, for one, have missed the water cooler. πŸ˜‰ If you're so inclined, I'm interested in what the problem was, but completely understand if you don't want to make it public.

Thanks again for the fix and have a great weekend.

• Someone unplugged the water cooler? πŸ˜€

• Ed Wagner (8/22/2014)

The bug that was afflicting the thread is fixed!!! Thanks very much, Steve. I, for one, have missed the water cooler. πŸ˜‰ If you're so inclined, I'm interested in what the problem was, but completely understand if you don't want to make it public.

Yay.

I was mildly frustrated. I was trying to post on several questions and couldn't post anywhere. From the sounds of it, you were able to at least post?

It's also nice to see the Email subject issue was fixed overnight as well. Seems the two issues were possibly related.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (8/22/2014)

Ed Wagner (8/22/2014)

The bug that was afflicting the thread is fixed!!! Thanks very much, Steve. I, for one, have missed the water cooler. πŸ˜‰ If you're so inclined, I'm interested in what the problem was, but completely understand if you don't want to make it public.

Yay.

I was mildly frustrated. I was trying to post on several questions and couldn't post anywhere. From the sounds of it, you were able to at least post?

It's also nice to see the Email subject issue was fixed overnight as well. Seems the two issues were possibly related.

And don't forget there was an avatar issue as well.

Which is also fixed by now πŸ˜€

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 15 posts - 45,271 through 45,285 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply