Are the posted questions getting worse?

• swasheck (7/31/2014)

To qualify my statement, I have no personal context for anything involving Jeff Moden and I'd welcome him. I've only perused SSC forums in the past and have just noticed trends - especially vis a vis a string splitting function. Just making an observation. I do hope that Jeff wanders over to The Heap and everyone proves me incorrect.

I checked your SSC login for previous posts and haven't found any so I don't actually know what statement you've made. Do you have a link on "The Heap" (sorry, don't know what that is, either) that you'd like me to take a look at?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff-

This:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/31/2014)

Just dropped over to the Heap Consultancy and I see a comment from Bill in KC about me staring at him from the login banner and then this:

"Steve is cool"

Maybe I should visit SO/SE more often 😀

• SQLRNNR (7/31/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (7/31/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/31/2014)

William J. Fellows (7/31/2014)

To qualify my statement, Steve stares at my legs a lot. 😛

Well, you have good looking legs.

:exclamation:Unwanted details:sick:

Task achieved!!

Jason, you are a real gentleman, thanks!

😎

• William J. Fellows (7/31/2014)

Me too! Va-va-va-voom!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Jeff Moden (7/31/2014)

swasheck (7/31/2014)

To qualify my statement, I have no personal context for anything involving Jeff Moden and I'd welcome him. I've only perused SSC forums in the past and have just noticed trends - especially vis a vis a string splitting function. Just making an observation. I do hope that Jeff wanders over to The Heap and everyone proves me incorrect.

I checked your SSC login for previous posts and haven't found any so I don't actually know what statement you've made. Do you have a link on "The Heap" (sorry, don't know what that is, either) that you'd like me to take a look at?

On Sql Server 2014, the new verbosity estimator returns this:

Syntax error: the statement should be:

select isnull(posts,(select random from Heap))

from previous

where culprit = 'swasheck'

😎

• SQLRNNR (7/30/2014)

Grant Fritchey (7/30/2014)

Early in this discussion the people who posted some sophomoric comments

Let's just call a spade a spade. Yes my comment was less than mature, but I think sophomoric is a bit too kind. I might call my comment a bit "jr high".;-)

to be farther off-topic, I usually call a spade a shovel, but what do I know

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Sean Lange (7/31/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/31/2014)

swasheck (7/31/2014)

Bahaha

Jeff is personable in person.:-D:-D

BAHAHA

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Doug J. (7/31/2014)

Jeff-

This:

Just dropped over to the Heap Consultancy and I see a comment from Bill in KC about me staring at him from the login banner and then this:

"Steve is cool"

yeah jeff will need to put his pants back on if he goes there. His legs aren't as sexy.

Learn Extended Events

• Doug J. (7/31/2014)

Jeff-

This:

"Steve is cool"

Thanks, Doug. I wonder why I might get a "chilly reception".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (7/31/2014)

Doug J. (7/31/2014)

Jeff-

This:

"Steve is cool"

Only one way to find out!

• SQLRNNR (7/31/2014)

swasheck (7/31/2014)

Bahaha

Yeah, I'd say so. In fact, some might go so far as to say he's nice, but don't spread that around too much. 😉

• SQLRNNR (7/31/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (7/31/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/31/2014)

William J. Fellows (7/31/2014)

Well, you have good looking legs.

:exclamation:Unwanted details:sick:

Task achieved!!

Surely there are pictures floating around of Steve and Grant in their kilts.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Jeff Moden (7/31/2014)

Doug J. (7/31/2014)

Jeff-

This:

"Steve is cool"

I doubt that you would Jeff. This is very out of context. This is their version of "the thread" and that comment in context was actually kind of funny. Nothing meant derogatory by it at all from the way I read it. I am sure they would welcome you with open arms. I mean they accepted me easily enough. And Jason...err SQLRNNR...just showed up over there too. There are a few other SSC regulars in there I have seen too.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Ed Wagner (7/31/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/31/2014)

swasheck (7/31/2014)

Bahaha

Yeah, I'd say so. In fact, some might go so far as to say he's nice, but don't spread that around too much. 😉

Well to be fair, he *has* helped hundreds if not thousands of people over the years. He straightened me out by banging my head against the floor until I got the point... but he was very kind about it. It was for my own good really.

Why am I suddenly thinking about the Piranha Brothers skit from Monty Python?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The Dixie Flatline (7/31/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/31/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/31/2014)

swasheck (7/31/2014)

Bahaha

Well to be fair, he *has* helped hundreds if not thousands of people over the years. He straightened me out by banging my head against the floor until I got the point... but he was very kind about it. It was for my own good really.

Why am I suddenly thinking about the Piranha Brothers skit from Monty Python?

Because you just had two pina coladas?

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 45,016 through 45,030 (of 66,593 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply