Are the posted questions getting worse?

• SQLRNNR (7/17/2014)

Jack Corbett (7/17/2014)

Sean Lange (7/17/2014)

Sadly I will not. I need to find a way to get to one though. It is a large chunk of change for me to have to fork over, I know my company won't shell out that kind of money for me to go.

That's where volunteerism pays off. Volunteer at your local PASS Chapter (start one if you don't have one nearby) or for the Summit Program Committee and you have a good opportunity to get a decent discount on registration. Then get someone to split a room with you and it really isn't that expensive. I attended last year's Summit on my own dime and it cost me like $600 because of being a PASS volunteer & finding someone to bunk with. I also don't drink so that saves me a ton of money as well.

Winner Winner on that one.

There are some that will probably double their cost due to the amount they will drink during the week.

Good god, how much is the beer there?!

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• andrew gothard (7/21/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/17/2014)

Jack Corbett (7/17/2014)

Sean Lange (7/17/2014)

Sadly I will not. I need to find a way to get to one though. It is a large chunk of change for me to have to fork over, I know my company won't shell out that kind of money for me to go.

That's where volunteerism pays off. Volunteer at your local PASS Chapter (start one if you don't have one nearby) or for the Summit Program Committee and you have a good opportunity to get a decent discount on registration. Then get someone to split a room with you and it really isn't that expensive. I attended last year's Summit on my own dime and it cost me like $600 because of being a PASS volunteer & finding someone to bunk with. I also don't drink so that saves me a ton of money as well.

Winner Winner on that one.

There are some that will probably double their cost due to the amount they will drink during the week.

Good god, how much is the beer there?!

I think a lot of it boils down to quantity and liqueur vs. beer.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Lynn Pettis (7/15/2014)

I swear it feels like 3 months experience 36 times. All it takes is setting up a sandbox and working through it to solve the problem. How does he plan on supporting this if he can't even figure it out himself? Spoon feeding someone can only take them so far. At some point they have to start figuring things out themselves and ask questions when they run into more specific issues rather than questions that are so wide open.

I think this is the case with the majority of people in many jobs. They aren't learning more and more across a year or two. They get in a pattern across a few months and don't learn much more.

• TomThomson (7/16/2014)

Jack Corbett (7/16/2014)

I think encryption should be done in the app, not the database. I think Jeff mentioned it in that thread, that if encryption is happening in the database it means everything is being passed over the wire in clear text. Just something I'd rather see not happen. The only issue is if you do reporting using another tool and have to work out decrypting those values in the reporting tool (SSRS even).

Doing decryption in the database doesn't necessarily mean that stuff on the wire is in plaintext. In a lot of systems (including some outdated versions of Windows) it's possible to have an encryption layer in the comms stack immediately above transport, so that everything on the wire - even stuff not encrypted in storage - is encrypted. I don't know whether current versions of windows support this, but I imagine they do. A lot of people believe that the risk of data bing intercepted on the wire is much higher than the risk of someone gaining access to data on storage media and insist on everything being encrypted on the wire whether it's encrypted in strorage or not. And third party apps are often a nightmare from the point of view of encryption in the app. I guess encryption in the app is sometimes better than encryption in teh db, but not very often.

Could be in both. don't forget that if I encrypt in the app only, and I make another app, or want to somehow share keys across groups of people, I might create more holes. Potentially I also disclose information outside of a central location/site. I potentially also grow the number of people that might have access to keys.

At times I want encryption in the db, possibly in addition to app encryption. As Tom mentioned, I could SSL/IPSec to the db, have data inserted and encrypted there, without depending on any application to do this well.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/21/2014)

Lynn Pettis (7/15/2014)

I swear it feels like 3 months experience 36 times. All it takes is setting up a sandbox and working through it to solve the problem. How does he plan on supporting this if he can't even figure it out himself? Spoon feeding someone can only take them so far. At some point they have to start figuring things out themselves and ask questions when they run into more specific issues rather than questions that are so wide open.

I think this is the case with the majority of people in many jobs. They aren't learning more and more across a year or two. They get in a pattern across a few months and don't learn much more.

I saw a good article about this today. They talked about how "being able to get it" is an inherent thing instead of something you can learn. (i.e. either you're predisposed to understanding SQL Server or you're not) and how that's complete nonsense. As a result, many people don't try to learn or are convinced they can't. In addition, this attitude keeps companies from offering real training and development. People start to figure they know what they know and they'd better hang onto that.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Sean Lange (7/17/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/17/2014)

The Dixie Flatline (7/16/2014)

Woohoo!! Done with work for the evening, and in the morning we're heading to New Orleans for a long weekend. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

I would send you all beignets, but they don't travel well.

beignets - yum.

must be time to get some - sounds tasty

How about we find somewhere in Seattle for summit and get some (must be good ones tho).

In Seattle you can forget about beignets. If you want an amazing breakfast there go find Beth's cafe. I will warn you NOT to order the full omelet unless there are 2-3 of you. The half omelet is 6 eggs and comes loaded with mountains on ingredients and unlimited potatoes.

Ha! The best breakfast in Seattle is getting up early to run with us and then grabbing a bagel on the way to a session.

• GilaMonster (7/20/2014)

Conference done, vacation beginning.

Can some nice people please keep an eye on corruption theads and provide useful and safe advice? I might drop in occasionally to post photos, but that'll probably be all.

Bits was awesome. Photos of that will follow once I get them cleaned up (unblured in some cases)

Enjoy!

Sean Lange (7/17/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/17/2014)

The Dixie Flatline (7/16/2014)

Woohoo!! Done with work for the evening, and in the morning we're heading to New Orleans for a long weekend. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

I would send you all beignets, but they don't travel well.

beignets - yum.

must be time to get some - sounds tasty

How about we find somewhere in Seattle for summit and get some (must be good ones tho).

In Seattle you can forget about beignets. If you want an amazing breakfast there go find Beth's cafe. I will warn you NOT to order the full omelet unless there are 2-3 of you. The half omelet is 6 eggs and comes loaded with mountains on ingredients and unlimited potatoes.

Ha! The best breakfast in Seattle is getting up early to run with us and then grabbing a bagel on the way to a session.

Nope I would still vote Beth's, but I would be up for a run afterwards too. πŸ˜›

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/21/2014)

I saw a good article about this today. They talked about how "being able to get it" is an inherent thing instead of something you can learn. (i.e. either you're predisposed to understanding SQL Server or you're not) and how that's complete nonsense. As a result, many people don't try to learn or are convinced they can't. In addition, this attitude keeps companies from offering real training and development. People start to figure they know what they know and they'd better hang onto that.

I don't know if I agree with the "not getting it" with SQL Server. I do think some concepts are very hard, perhaps semi-impossible for some people. Pointers, recursion, some of these are very abstract ideas.

However I think most people don't learn because they don't need to. Not using replication (or SSIS, or Service Broker, etc), why learn it? Not in a 24x7 environment, why bother with HA? Far too many people learn what they need for a job and don't look to grow their toolset, perhaps with the intention of improving what they already have.

However I think most people don't learn because they don't need to. Not using replication (or SSIS, or Service Broker, etc), why learn it? Not in a 24x7 environment, why bother with HA? Far too many people learn what they need for a job and don't look to grow their toolset, perhaps with the intention of improving what they already have.

^ I looked like this for the first 6 years of my career.

I could either dig deeper into understanding backup mechanisms and conversion techniques (I think I spent 3 years doing 2k->2k5 upgrades, and only that), or I could go off the reservation of stuff I needed and try to stuff execution plan understanding into my head.

Because it's a 'learn as you go' kind of job, usually, this is practically a required viewpoint until you have enough under your belt in the things you NEED before you start looking at the rest of it for the "Nice to have" stuff. Now, many times you go digging around in the nice to haves and kick yourself, and proceed to rewrite something that took you 3 months in 2 days now that you know the right tool (*cough* Service Broker *cough*). Now it's another 'NEED', and you learn more about that... and HADR has to wait.

I know many folks here are quite involved in making sure they have continuing education across the entire software, but I'm still in 2k8. My parent corp won't even get licenses for '12 or '14. I had to fight for the right to even create my own jobs in the dev environment for testing before I pass them up to the DBAs, and don't get SA anywhere by my (local) sandbox.

Why should I care about the new mirror techniques?

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Some bits from SQLBits

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • That first one is great, Gail. And that was a great costume.

• That was one of Rodney's photos (most of which are great)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail!

It's mostly the camera and lens...

And that first one was taken by Roger using my camera πŸ˜€

I'll start going through them tonight, so Steve any and all with you in, I'll put to one side and email in one go.

I have requests from people in costume on the Friday night...

Rodders...

• Thanks, Rodney. No hurry for me. I'd like to get copies of mine and see all of them, but please handle any other requests before me.

Viewing 15 posts - 44,746 through 44,760 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply