Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I hope I haven't bit off more than I can chew. I have approval to lead an internal study group meeting weekly for 2 hours to review the MCSA certification material. I have to come up with a topic schedule, prepare presentations, examples and homework, and hope I cover everything that shows up on the test. No stress, eh? It's going to be awesome fun, but particularly stressful here at the start.

• Hey, guys. I am getting absolutely no response on the fundraising for the wildfire & flood victims. Any suggestions on how I can sweeten the pot to get people to help out?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (7/23/2012)

Hey, guys. I am getting absolutely no response on the fundraising for the wildfire & flood victims. Any suggestions on how I can sweeten the pot to get people to help out?

Keep promoting it. Maybe ask other UG leaders, especially virtual ones to send a note.

I'll send a few notes out.

• capn.hector (7/20/2012)

Jeff Moden (7/20/2012)

.... I might even set it up so that SQL Server automatically sends the email for me every week. πŸ˜€

week after you leave and forget the server is sending the message, management gets your email and goes HMMMM i thought he quit last week, did we shut down his email account.

BWAAA-HAAAA!!!! Hopefully, they'll keep making direct deposits, as well. πŸ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (7/20/2012)

Go with the flow and things will quickly get better over time.

Thanks for the hint, Jeff. Actually, I think things will get better as long as I'm able to avoid the conflict.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• While waiting for some reasonable sized databases to back up before doing some upgrades, I finally managed to have a stab at answering a question today. No one else had got in there yet. No sample data etc supplied. Question a little vague but I gave it a go with the information provided. With a note saying if you supply DDL and sample data we could have a better idea.

Reply came back pretty quickly that it didn't work for certain cases.

Oh hum.

Then a regular has reiterated the "give us sample data etc" and we can get you an answer.

I think I felt about 0.001 percent of what the regular threadizens go through!

πŸ˜€

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (7/24/2012)

While waiting for some reasonable sized databases to back up before doing some upgrades, I finally managed to have a stab at answering a question today. No one else had got in there yet. No sample data etc supplied. Question a little vague but I gave it a go with the information provided. With a note saying if you supply DDL and sample data we could have a better idea.

Oh hum.

Then a regular has reiterated the "give us sample data etc" and we can get you an answer.

πŸ˜€

Rodders...

Lol, at least they were fairly polite in telling you it didn't work! πŸ˜€

• rodjkidd (7/24/2012)

While waiting for some reasonable sized databases to back up before doing some upgrades, I finally managed to have a stab at answering a question today. No one else had got in there yet. No sample data etc supplied. Question a little vague but I gave it a go with the information provided. With a note saying if you supply DDL and sample data we could have a better idea.

Oh hum.

πŸ˜€

Rodders...

Aww. Initiation is grand, ain't it? @=)

Welcome to the club (tent in the desert), newly branded one.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• ooo, thanks Brandi!

Just stick me in the corner of the tent so I can go wibble...

Always seem to come the party (a question I can answer) far too late.

Personally I blame this on;

The time difference, I'm in England, and I'm sticking to that excuse!

The likes of Gail, Lynn, Paul et al can type faster than me!

Oh and they know a heck of a lot more than me...

πŸ˜€

Rodders...

• Pardon me for getting slightly technical for a moment, but if anyone out there is using Redgate's SQL Prompt and SSMS tools, are you seeing any conflicts with the two? Last machine, they played nice together. This one, they aren't. The only thing in SSMS tools I have enabled is the server color bar - that's the one piece of "save my sanity" stuff that I use it for. But since I reinstalled it, my SQL Prompt has been flaky - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Uninstalling the SSMS tools fixed SQL Prompt - but I really, really want my color indicators back. Anyone else run into this?

On the last machine, SSMS was installed prior to Redgate, and on this one, Redgate went in first - I'm debating uninstalling both and changing the install order.

Just curious if anyone else has seen this type of thing happen.

-Ki

• Kiara (7/24/2012)

Pardon me for getting slightly technical for a moment, but if anyone out there is using Redgate's SQL Prompt and SSMS tools, are you seeing any conflicts with the two? Last machine, they played nice together. This one, they aren't. The only thing in SSMS tools I have enabled is the server color bar - that's the one piece of "save my sanity" stuff that I use it for. But since I reinstalled it, my SQL Prompt has been flaky - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Uninstalling the SSMS tools fixed SQL Prompt - but I really, really want my color indicators back. Anyone else run into this?

On the last machine, SSMS was installed prior to Redgate, and on this one, Redgate went in first - I'm debating uninstalling both and changing the install order.

The install order was the first thing I thought of. I'd say it is worth a try. I've seen that kind of thing with other products, but haven't with these specific two.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/24/2012)

Kiara (7/24/2012)

Pardon me for getting slightly technical for a moment, but if anyone out there is using Redgate's SQL Prompt and SSMS tools, are you seeing any conflicts with the two? Last machine, they played nice together. This one, they aren't. The only thing in SSMS tools I have enabled is the server color bar - that's the one piece of "save my sanity" stuff that I use it for. But since I reinstalled it, my SQL Prompt has been flaky - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Uninstalling the SSMS tools fixed SQL Prompt - but I really, really want my color indicators back. Anyone else run into this?

The install order was the first thing I thought of. I'd say it is worth a try. I've seen that kind of thing with other products, but haven't with these specific two.

Thanks for the confirmation on my thought process - I'll try it and see what happens.

-Ki

• rodjkidd (7/24/2012)

ooo, thanks Brandi!

πŸ˜€

Rodders...

You do know that Gail is in South Africa and Paul is in New Zealand, right? πŸ˜‰

• Lynn Pettis (7/24/2012)

rodjkidd (7/24/2012)

ooo, thanks Brandi!

πŸ˜€

Rodders...

You do know that Gail is in South Africa and Paul is in New Zealand, right? πŸ˜‰

Well that puts Paul 12 hours or so different to me, so that stands. Plus some of his knowledge is crazy!

And Gail, well I don't think she sleeps! :hehe:

Rodders...

• Going slightly mad at the moment at work.

Auditing 300 odd instances.

We have a internal database for cataloging these but;

So far they can be broken down in to the following categories

On the same domain to me and I can connect remotely

On one of 3 other domains and I can RDP

On one of 3 other domains and someone forgot to add me into the Remote Desktop group

The info in the internal db has the wrong instance names

SQL server has since been removed from the server

Or the server has an alias and i can't connect to the name listed

Managed to connect to all the local domain ones really quickly (obviously)...

I've lost count of how many RDP sessions I have logged into over the last two days.

I thought I'd almost finished and then realised I hadn't started quite at the top of the spreadsheet... Thud... 58 still to go.

Oh well there goes most of tomorrow!

Arh the light relief of SSC forums! And twitter!

Rodders...

Viewing 15 posts - 36,991 through 37,005 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply