Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Greg Edwards-268690 (1/10/2012)

GilaMonster (1/10/2012)

mtillman-921105 (1/9/2012)

jcrawf02 (1/9/2012)

And what does that make those of us who are following the debates about the faster than light neutrinos?

I've been interested in that too... Is Einstein wrong?

No, not wrong, just incomplete (which even Einstein would likely have agreed with).

Just like Newton before him, his theory stands well in many circumstances and has been proven in many experiments (do you know that we wouldn't have an accurate GPS network without relativity or a similar theory with another name...). However there are situations where relativity breaks down (very, very, very small, and regions of incredibly high gravity), so like Newton, Einstein's theories are a partial explanation that work in many situations and don't work in others. Hence we look for new theories that can explain what happens in those scenarios where relativity breaks down (and this is where Quantum Gravity and it's related GUT candidates come up)

So with dbcc timewarp and this covered, what's next?

The Bending of light to enable you to become invisible?:-D

Quite the interesting water cooler conversations lately.

They've already done that. And I believe can now bend light around an object to make it look like something else.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• SQL Kiwi (1/10/2012)

The site is usually pretty good at handling spam reports so my personal view is we don't need moderators, in general. Judging from an automated out-of-office email I received when reporting a post a day or so back, it seems the person responsible is on holiday until 12 January.

That is the easiest form of social hacking:-D

I also got that email.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hey guys, what ressource can you recommend for worldwide list of countries, provinces, zip code, etc. The more the better. We ship to over 100 countries so the more the better.

Free is fine but we don't mind paying for it.

TIA.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (1/10/2012)

Hey guys, what ressource can you recommend for worldwide list of countries, provinces, zip code, etc. The more the better. We ship to over 100 countries so the more the better.

TIA.

Had a client use this (iirc)

http://www.geopostcodes.com/

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/10/2012)

Ninja's_RGR'us (1/10/2012)

Hey guys, what ressource can you recommend for worldwide list of countries, provinces, zip code, etc. The more the better. We ship to over 100 countries so the more the better.

TIA.

Had a client use this (iirc)

http://www.geopostcodes.com/

Sounds good, anything else guys?

• GilaMonster (1/10/2012)

Greg Edwards-268690 (1/10/2012)

The Bending of light to enable you to become invisible?:-D

That's already been done iirc

Yup[/url].

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• Roy Ernest (1/9/2012)

I see lots of comments regarding post counts... Does everybody have a target? I have never thought about it at all.

When I get time post some thing, Thats it. 🙂

My only target regarding post counts is to have points > visits. No doing so well right now...

BTW, I like the hat in your picture Roy.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• SQLRNNR (1/9/2012)

SQL Kiwi (1/9/2012)

GSquared (1/9/2012)

Yes, but not at the posts count thing. Just at the "change your name to something even sillier than GSquared" thing.

You don't think 'Aaron Aardvark' has a nice ring to it? I'm considering making it permanent.

Reminds me of a commercial. Can't find the commercial so a Yellow Pages listing will have to suffice

http://listings.allpages.com/on-0014529166-hamilton.html

Note the name of the company...

I'm envisioning the receptionist answering the phone... :w00t:

Wayne

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    Performance Problems

• WayneS (1/10/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/9/2012)

SQL Kiwi (1/9/2012)

GSquared (1/9/2012)

Yes, but not at the posts count thing. Just at the "change your name to something even sillier than GSquared" thing.

You don't think 'Aaron Aardvark' has a nice ring to it? I'm considering making it permanent.

Reminds me of a commercial. Can't find the commercial so a Yellow Pages listing will have to suffice

http://listings.allpages.com/on-0014529166-hamilton.html

Note the name of the company...

I'm envisioning the receptionist answering the phone... :w00t:

A visit to the dentist springs to mind 😀

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• GilaMonster (1/9/2012)

Then, thanks to one of Ms. Shaw’s recommended books, now I'm stuck in physics and cosmology. :blink: The book I'm reading now is The Fabric of the Cosmos, which for instance covers Entanglement (a highly bizarre phenomenon to say the least).

You're welcome 😀

I'll add that "The Fabric of the Cosmos" to my to-buy list. btw, don't get the physics book on the 2011 post (on Quantum Gravity). It's a tough read.

By the way, if you know that there is a difference between Special and General Relativity, you might just be a nerd!

Err, so what are you if you know what the differences are?

Hopeless?:cool:

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

• Ninja's_RGR'us (1/10/2012)

TIA.

http://www.worldaddresses.co.uk/ Might be an option, too.

Or http://www.mbi-geodata.com/. It depends on what exactly you're looking for...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• WayneS (1/10/2012)

GilaMonster (1/9/2012)

Then, thanks to one of Ms. Shaw’s recommended books, now I'm stuck in physics and cosmology. :blink: The book I'm reading now is The Fabric of the Cosmos, which for instance covers Entanglement (a highly bizarre phenomenon to say the least).

You're welcome 😀

I'll add that "The Fabric of the Cosmos" to my to-buy list. btw, don't get the physics book on the 2011 post (on Quantum Gravity). It's a tough read.

By the way, if you know that there is a difference between Special and General Relativity, you might just be a nerd!

Why thank you for making my evening so much better...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • LutzM (1/10/2012)

Ninja's_RGR'us (1/10/2012)

TIA.

http://www.worldaddresses.co.uk/ Might be an option, too.

Or http://www.mbi-geodata.com/. It depends on what exactly you're looking for...

These guys are only US and Canada, but have a good product for a good price. I dealt with them when I was in the direct mail business and never had a problem.

https://www.zip-codes.com/

-- Kit

• WayneS (1/10/2012)

GilaMonster (1/9/2012)

You're welcome 😀

Heh, and here I was thinking 'Desperately in need of a good weeklong booze cruise... or at least getting out more.'

Y'all are nuts, btw. Just sayin'. Probably why I like you lot. :w00t:

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• I guess I'm really the only nerd around here, since I didn't realize that teasing people about being a nerd is not such a good idea. :blush:

Isn't that ironic?

I will not tease anyone about being nerdy.

etc., ad nauseum

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

Viewing 15 posts - 33,526 through 33,540 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply