Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Gianluca Sartori (1/10/2012)

SQL Kiwi (1/10/2012)

The site is usually pretty good at handling spam reports so my personal view is we don't need moderators, in general. Judging from an automated out-of-office email I received when reporting a post a day or so back, it seems the person responsible is on holiday until 12 January.

Seems to be more than one single person. I got out of office replies from more than one person when reporting posts.

At least 3 on my count.

• I didn't mean to imply there was only one, though I see it could be read that way. Didn't really think it through at all, come to think of it. LOL.

• SQL Kiwi (1/10/2012)

I didn't mean to imply there was only one, though I see it could be read that way.

Your message was clear. Mine was simply that I got O3 messages from at least 3 different accounts when reporting SPAM.

Might even be 5 but I won't waste any more time on that!

edit Amt.

GilaMonster (1/10/2012)

Ninja's_RGR'us (1/10/2012)

Gianluca Sartori (1/10/2012)

mtillman-921105 (1/9/2012)

jcrawf02 (1/9/2012)

And what does that make those of us who are following the debates about the faster than light neutrinos?

I've been interested in that too... Is Einstein wrong?

As a funny note, the former Italian education minister (MariaStella Gelmini) publicly congratulated with Italian and Swiss researchers that caved such a long tunnel between the two labs. :hehe::hehe::hehe:

Unbelievable, but true. :sick:

I missed that memo, care to explain the funny part in this?

I suspect that the 'tunnel' in question is the LHC.

Even worse: http://141microseconds.wordpress.com/2011/09/24/faster-than-light/.

Oh my....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Greg Edwards-268690 (1/10/2012)

The Bending of light to enable you to become invisible?:-D

That's already been done iirc

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (1/10/2012)

Oh my....

Remember this next time you complain about your politicians. πŸ˜‰

-- Gianluca Sartori

GilaMonster (1/10/2012)

Oh my....

how many time do you want me to top this story with our current pm?

• Ninja's_RGR'us (1/10/2012)

GilaMonster (1/10/2012)

Oh my....

I guess I could still win with my end users, but that would definitely be unfair. πŸ˜›

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Greg Edwards-268690 (1/10/2012)

So with dbcc timewarp and this covered, what's next?

The Bending of light to enable you to become invisible?:-D

Quite the interesting water cooler conversations lately.

How about erasing an event from the visible timeline?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

GilaMonster (1/10/2012)

Oh my....

I guess I could still win with my end users, but that would definitely be unfair. πŸ˜›

That would almost be worth starting a new thread! πŸ˜€

GilaMonster (1/10/2012)

Oh my....

Yours are just in serious need of a scientific adviser. Mine are outright thieves or trying to run the country into the ground. Some recent comments (our ruling party recently celebrated its 100th birthday recently)

"The leaders will now enjoy the champagne, and of course they do so on your behalf through their lips" (at a toast to the party's success)

"We want to find in the next 10 years white domestic workers" (on the subject of job creation and equality)

β€œThe ANCYL (ANC Youth League) has never been a drum majorette; it has been a militant organisation of the ANC.” (since when does the political party in power need a militant organisation?)

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (1/10/2012)

GilaMonster (1/10/2012)

Oh my....

Yours are just in serious need of a scientific adviser. Mine are outright thieves or trying to run the country into the ground. Some recent comments (our ruling party recently celebrated its 100th birthday recently)

"The leaders will now enjoy the champagne, and of course they do so on your behalf through their lips" (at a toast to the party's success)

"We want to find in the next 10 years white domestic workers" (on the subject of job creation and equality)

β€œThe ANCYL (ANC Youth League) has never been a drum majorette; it has been a militant organisation of the ANC.” (since when does the political party in power need a militant organisation?)

They'll fall, just like every other tyrant in the past few months. Just give it enough time.

"end of the world" is not about human extinction. πŸ˜‰

• Ninja's_RGR'us (1/10/2012)

GilaMonster (1/10/2012)

GilaMonster (1/10/2012)

Oh my....

They'll fall, just like every other tyrant in the past few months. Just give it enough time.

This is a democratically elected government.

I have no doubt that eventually they'll lose control of government, there have been service delivery protests for months, there are job creation protests and they are losing votes. The only question is, how much more damage are they going to do before that.

I mean, these are people who consider Mugabe to be a shining example of African leadership.

Gail Shaw

• SQL Kiwi (1/10/2012)

The site is usually pretty good at handling spam reports so my personal view is we don't need moderators, in general. Judging from an automated out-of-office email I received when reporting a post a day or so back, it seems the person responsible is on holiday until 12 January.

Bug, the person handling them has webmaster shooting to his personal box. It shouldn't have sent a note out.

We do try to handle quickly.

• Mark-101232 (1/10/2012)

Very annoying. I think the random words are meant to trick search engines.

I don't know which countermeasures can be taken, if any. I would be extremely upset if I had to interpret hieroglyphs captchas just because of spammers.

Steve, please! :ermm:

Or maybe a few of us could be granted rights to delete the posts (or mark as deleted until Steve confirms it). It'd certainly cut on the time the spam would be visible.

maybe have the forums semi-moderated where first-time posts are vetted.

The problem is that it's hard to "semi-moderate" thing. One of the highlights of SSC is that so many questions are answered so quickly and we don't want to detract from that.

There's also a delay piece. We don't have a set schedule, or someone that can look at posts 24x7. So there could be long delays for a post to be approved.

We have a few moderators, but it's hard to strike a good balance. So many people are very heavy handed with regards to anything that remotely appears to be SPAM. Lots are easy, but I'd rather have SPAM appear for 12 hours than someone whack posts too quickly. I really, really try to not delete things that don't need to be deleted.

Viewing 15 posts - 33,511 through 33,525 (of 66,603 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply