Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (9/16/2011)

Gianluca Sartori (9/16/2011)

WayneS (9/16/2011)

Question for those that blog (preferably with WordPress) and post code on their blog - what code syntax tool do you use? I'm using WP-SynHighlight, but I'm not completely happy with it - I'd like to find something else before there are too many blogs out there to redo with a different tool.

Thanks!

(Edit: 72 to go to 30000!)

I'm hosted on wordpress.com and there you can only have [sourcecode language="sql"] + various switches.

It's not bad, what exactly doesn't fit your needs?

Will that work if I'm hosting on my own domain instead of wordpress.com?

WP is just a software you install to which you add plugins. So assuming it works on wp.org it will also work on your own server.

Of course you need to test to confirm but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

You can also always call the customer support of your webhost to confirm it should work... then they have to honor that if it fails ;-).

• GilaMonster (9/16/2011)

I suspect this got lost in all the 'helping Grant abuse SQL' posts...

Another request:

I'm bunking tonight and starting the rewrite of my rather old (and second-ever) article Managing Transaction Logs[/url]. Other than when and when not to shrink (which definitely has to go in there), what else do people think I need to add or expand on?

I'm adding a whole section on why not to shrink, when shrinking is fine and how to. I'm cutting the recovery model stuff down (as there's another article I can reference) and adding a mismanagement section. Anything else that needs covering?

Maybe you could add a few of your favorite links for some common tlog related questions, like What should I do if

- TLog is full?

- I deleted the TLog?

- I cannot backup the TLog due to limited disc space?

It's nothing to include in the article but probably worth to mention / reference it.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• GSquared (9/16/2011)

GilaMonster (9/16/2011)

Another request:

I'm bunking tonight and starting the rewrite of my rather old (and second-ever) article Managing Transaction Logs[/url]. Other than when and when not to shrink (which definitely has to go in there), what else do people think I need to add or expand on?

I'm adding a whole section on why not to shrink, when shrinking is fine and how to. I'm cutting the recovery model stuff down (as there's another article I can reference) and adding a mismanagement section. Anything else that needs covering?

Configuration? Things like people adding extra log files because they don't understand that it doesn't actually improve performance?

I 2nd this one. I'm still cleaning up databases that the previous "DBA" added extra log files and I've been on this job almost 2 years now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Trey Staker (9/16/2011)

GSquared (9/16/2011)

GilaMonster (9/16/2011)

Another request:

Configuration? Things like people adding extra log files because they don't understand that it doesn't actually improve performance?

I 2nd this one. I'm still cleaning up databases that the previous "DBA" added extra log files and I've been on this job almost 2 years now.

Really? Wow!!

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (9/16/2011)

Trey Staker (9/16/2011)

GSquared (9/16/2011)

GilaMonster (9/16/2011)

Another request:

Really? Wow!!

Ya, I'm down to just a handfull now. Of the 700+ databases I manage I think there were around 100 set up that way. It's a pain to change because most of them were on databases that have very strict change control.

Autoshrink was also turned on a bunch of the databases. I also had to battle a 3rd party vendor that insisted that I truncate and shrink the log files after each backup. They did end up giving in and now they've changed their policy. I think they realized that it no longer works in 2008.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

SQLRNNR (9/16/2011)

Trey Staker (9/16/2011)

GSquared (9/16/2011)

GilaMonster (9/16/2011)

Another request:

Really? Wow!!

Ya, I'm down to just a handfull now. Of the 700+ databases I manage I think there were around 100 set up that way. It's a pain to change because most of them were on databases that have very strict change control.

Autoshrink was also turned on a bunch of the databases. I also had to battle a 3rd party vendor that insisted that I truncate and shrink the log files after each backup. They did end up giving in and now they've changed their policy. I think they realized that it no longer works in 2008.

I remember you talking about that log truncate problem. All I can say is that I am still stunned.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

GSquared (9/16/2011)

GilaMonster (9/16/2011)

Another request:

That's a PITA!

I've never been able to get rid of those files without a detach/attach. I still have a database with an extra log file and I limited the growth to 1 MB to ensure it doesn't get used.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Ninja's_RGR'us (9/16/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (9/16/2011)

Gianluca Sartori (9/16/2011)

WayneS (9/16/2011)

Question for those that blog (preferably with WordPress) and post code on their blog - what code syntax tool do you use? I'm using WP-SynHighlight, but I'm not completely happy with it - I'd like to find something else before there are too many blogs out there to redo with a different tool.

Thanks!

(Edit: 72 to go to 30000!)

I'm hosted on wordpress.com and there you can only have [sourcecode language="sql"] + various switches.

It's not bad, what exactly doesn't fit your needs?

Will that work if I'm hosting on my own domain instead of wordpress.com?

WP is just a software you install to which you add plugins. So assuming it works on wp.org it will also work on your own server.

Of course you need to test to confirm but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

You can also always call the customer support of your webhost to confirm it should work... then they have to honor that if it fails ;-).

Or try it, and if you don't like the results, edit/delete the post.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Totally different topic. Has anyone downloaded and tried out the Windows 8 Developer preview? If yes, what's it look like apart from being a big Windows Phone 7 version strictly in landscape? Any issues putting it into a VM (assuming no-one would be clever enough making it the primary OS on any machine)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (9/16/2011)

Totally different topic. Has anyone downloaded and tried out the Windows 8 Developer preview? If yes, what's it look like apart from being a big Windows Phone 7 version strictly in landscape? Any issues putting it into a VM (assuming no-one would be clever enough making it the primary OS on any machine)?

I haven't. My boss is going to try to install it on his personal laptop this weekend. I'll ask him about it afterwards.

I usually play with these things when they go into open beta, not quite this early in the game.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Wish him luck :w00t:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• I'm thinking about getting a tablet so I can do email & social networking apps while I am at functions (rather than lugging my laptop around), but also read books on it. Therefore, I went to look at the Nook Color today, but I'm still not convinced this is my best choice. The problem with the Nook Color is that it requires logging on to WiFi. I want to be able to log onto the internet even when there is no WiFi available (via use of a broadband card, etc.).

Anyone have any good options / advice on the matter?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (9/16/2011)

I'm thinking about getting a tablet so I can do email & social networking apps while I am at functions (rather than lugging my laptop around), but also read books on it. Therefore, I went to look at the Nook Color today, but I'm still not convinced this is my best choice. The problem with the Nook Color is that it requires logging on to WiFi. I want to be able to log onto the internet even when there is no WiFi available (via use of a broadband card, etc.).

The first thing that comes to mind is that capability on the tablet will add about 50-100 bucks to the price tag (if I am remembering correctly from the shopping Gus and I did for a tablet). After that, it will depend on the company that you're getting broadband from and what tablets they offer to go with their system.

The other thing to consider is getting a smart phone that you can tether the tablet to via Wi-Fi (which means you will have a broader variety of tablets to chose from, not just the ones offered by your provider) and access that way. That's probably the route I'm going to go in a few months. Just need to figure out which company to go with, probably will go with Verizon when all is said and done.

-- Kit

• Kit G (9/16/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (9/16/2011)

I'm thinking about getting a tablet so I can do email & social networking apps while I am at functions (rather than lugging my laptop around), but also read books on it. Therefore, I went to look at the Nook Color today, but I'm still not convinced this is my best choice. The problem with the Nook Color is that it requires logging on to WiFi. I want to be able to log onto the internet even when there is no WiFi available (via use of a broadband card, etc.).

The first thing that comes to mind is that capability on the tablet will add about 50-100 bucks to the price tag (if I am remembering correctly from the shopping Gus and I did for a tablet). After that, it will depend on the company that you're getting broadband from and what tablets they offer to go with their system.

The other thing to consider is getting a smart phone that you can tether the tablet to via Wi-Fi (which means you will have a broader variety of tablets to chose from, not just the ones offered by your provider) and access that way. That's probably the route I'm going to go in a few months. Just need to figure out which company to go with, probably will go with Verizon when all is said and done.

If all you want is to read books, email and social networking, you might just want to use your phone. I almost bought a used iPad off a guy but instead went with the upgrade to an Incredible 2 (on Verizon) and I'm fine. Much more convenient to use something I already have on me. Plus, even on the phone I can blow the book text up to where I don't need my glasses. More swiping page to page, but that doesn't bother me.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (9/16/2011)

If all you want is to read books, email and social networking, you might just want to use your phone.

@sniffle.

My phone ain't that smart.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 29,941 through 29,955 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply