Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (9/16/2011)

Gianluca Sartori (9/16/2011)

WayneS (9/16/2011)

Question for those that blog (preferably with WordPress) and post code on their blog - what code syntax tool do you use? I'm using WP-SynHighlight, but I'm not completely happy with it - I'd like to find something else before there are too many blogs out there to redo with a different tool.

Thanks!

(Edit: 72 to go to 30000!)

I'm hosted on wordpress.com and there you can only have [sourcecode language="sql"] + various switches.

It's not bad, what exactly doesn't fit your needs?

Will that work if I'm hosting on my own domain instead of wordpress.com?

Yes, if you host, you'll get a wider choice of plug-ins that you can use. Just make sure you research them well before you use them. There are malignant ones out there.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• GilaMonster (9/16/2011)

I suspect this got lost in all the 'helping Grant abuse SQL' posts...

Another request:

I'm bunking tonight and starting the rewrite of my rather old (and second-ever) article Managing Transaction Logs[/url]. Other than when and when not to shrink (which definitely has to go in there), what else do people think I need to add or expand on?

I'm adding a whole section on why not to shrink, when shrinking is fine and how to. I'm cutting the recovery model stuff down (as there's another article I can reference) and adding a mismanagement section. Anything else that needs covering?

There are quite a efew things that people often get wrong, the ones I thoink most need coverage are

1) When to override default log size and default growth increment (always except maybe for very small databases with very low thruput, all of it OLTP?, and databases which are effectively read only).

2) How long to keep log backups and how to estimate how much store they wiill use

3) Where to put the logs (avoid default locations) and where to put their backups. and whether/when/where to copy backups to an off-site location.

4) Frequency of log backups.

Tom

• I forgot one:

5) risks of using backup log to append a log backup to an existing file containing log backups instead of always creating a new backup file for each backup.

Tom

jcrawf02 (9/16/2011)

If all you want is to read books, email and social networking, you might just want to use your phone.

@sniffle.

My phone ain't that smart.

probably less money to upgrade your phone than to buy the tablet + aircard, and then you'll just have that to lug around. I'm sure others have more experience with both and can offer opinions.

btw, PM'd you last week. Feel free to ignore me, but didn't know if you just missed it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

I'm thinking about getting a tablet so I can do email & social networking apps while I am at functions (rather than lugging my laptop around), but also read books on it. Therefore, I went to look at the Nook Color today, but I'm still not convinced this is my best choice. The problem with the Nook Color is that it requires logging on to WiFi. I want to be able to log onto the internet even when there is no WiFi available (via use of a broadband card, etc.).

Anyone have any good options / advice on the matter?

If you want one with a full-on Internet connection, get one with built in 3G/4G, don't get one with WiFi and get a tethering device. You'll save money in the long run. You'll be tied to a connection provider (Verizon is what I'd recommend, because they have the fastest network for this), but that should be okay. (Changing providers will mean buying a new tablet, so be sure you're okay with the one you start with.)

I have a WiFi-only Galaxy 10.1, 16 Gig version, Android 3.2. Totally rocks.

I haven't had trouble finding WiFi hotspots, and I plan to get a phone I can tether through reasonable soon for those few times I need a connection and can't just find one. One data plan, for the phone, is cheaper than a 3G/4G tablet with its own data plan, and I don't download movies, so I'm not worried about the big bandwidth uses that would make a separate plan useful.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Tom.Thomson (9/16/2011)

I forgot one:

5) risks of using backup log to append a log backup to an existing file containing log backups instead of always creating a new backup file for each backup.

Do you have a ref for that ?

In the 10+ years I haven't encountered issues with PIT restores using file level incremental log backups.

Have I been lucky or are you just scaring me off :crazy:

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• ALZDBA (9/16/2011)

Tom.Thomson (9/16/2011)

I forgot one:

In the 10+ years I haven't encountered issues with PIT restores using file level incremental log backups.

It's more a risk with full or diff backups than logs (since losing one log backup breaks the log chain anyway)

Imagine 4 full backups appended in one file (and no other full backups existing) and the header-portion of the backup file getting damaged. Instead of losing one backup and being able to go back to an earlier one (assuming sufficient retained log backups), you've lost all of them.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

ALZDBA (9/16/2011)

Tom.Thomson (9/16/2011)

I forgot one:

It's more a risk with full or diff backups than logs (since losing one log backup breaks the log chain anyway)

Imagine 4 full backups appended in one file (and no other full backups existing) and the header-portion of the backup file getting damaged. Instead of losing one backup and being able to go back to an earlier one (assuming sufficient retained log backups), you've lost all of them.

Well, if you create a new log backup file after each Full/Diff, and append log backups to that, you're okay, but if you have one log backup file that stretches past your last Full/Diff, and you lose that file, you lose some PIT options you would otherwise have.

Example:

Log backup file created on Sunday

Full backup nightly

Logs backed up into that file every 15 minutes

Lose the log backup file (corrupted header or whatever) on Thursday afternoon

If you find that you need to restore to any PIT from that week other than the start of a nightly full backup, you can't.

Example of breaking it up further:

Full backup nightly

Log backup file created for the first log backup after that

Log backups into that file all day

Lose the log backup file on Thursday afternoon

You still have your Wednesday, Tuesday, et al, log backups, and that can be useful if you find you need to restore to a prior day PIT. For audit purposes for example.

Example of the way Tom does it, one file per log backup:

Full backup nightly

Log backup every 15 minutes, each to its own file

Lose the log backup file on Thursday afternoon at 2:03 PM (14:03 to those who use a clock that makes sense)

You can restore up to the point of the end of the last uncorrupted log file, 13:45 in this case.

Maybe you discover this when your server crashes at 8 PM and you have to restore to PIT, and find that you can only get to the last full backup with either the daily or weekly log backup file being appended to, or to 1:45 PM with the each-backup-in-its-own-file method. You lose less data that way.

Odds of it mattering are small. You have to (a) need a PIT restore, and (b) have a corrupted log backup file, both at the same time. Odds are slim for both to happen in a way that matters. But Murphy hates us, so it's not really paranoia to go for the belt and suspenders version, in my book.

And now I'm discussing SQL in the "Anything that is NOT about SQL!" forum, and in The Thread even!

Boy am I in trouble now!

Oh wait! Steve's AFTT (Away From The Thread), isn't he? Woohoo! My knuckles escaped the ruler! 😛

It's an unlikely edge case with a low risk, but it is something to consider.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Gianluca Sartori (9/16/2011)

WayneS (9/16/2011)

Question for those that blog (preferably with WordPress) and post code on their blog - what code syntax tool do you use? I'm using WP-SynHighlight, but I'm not completely happy with it - I'd like to find something else before there are too many blogs out there to redo with a different tool.

Thanks!

(Edit: 72 to go to 30000!)

I'm hosted on wordpress.com and there you can only have [sourcecode language="sql"] + various switches.

It's not bad, what exactly doesn't fit your needs?

They are all minor, nit-picking issues:

1. Can't set the default language to T-SQL (it's always PHP)

2. I'd like to have a "Copy code to clipboard" feature.

3. I'd like to have something for quoted text - what I'm doing now is putting it in italics.

4. I like to show result sets as text vs. screen shots where possible - there is nothing to display that nicely.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• GilaMonster (9/14/2011)

Roy Ernest (9/14/2011)

I would also add not setting the min and max for memory.

Well, not setting max yes. Min can be left at 0 on a dedicated SQL box.

How about allowing a "sysadmin" to set 16MB as max memory and possibly preventing SQL Server to start. Event if SQL Server manages to start with 16MB of buffer cache, what can you really use it for?

• ALZDBA (9/16/2011)

Tom.Thomson (9/16/2011)

I forgot one:

I wouldn't say you've been exceptionally lucky; but I would say that you haven't been unlucky - just one unluck coincidence of failures can make a big problem.

It's not a very big risk, which is why people should not be told "never do it". But it isn't completely without risk, so should not be told "it's always OK to do it". They should be encouraged to underatand the risks and the benefits.

If something goes wrong which corruups a file containing, say, a week's log backups, and you need them you have lost a week's updates. Of course when you detect that something has gone wrong (which will be very soon if you have proper error detection, containment, and reporting) you will (if the error containment code hasn't already done it automatically) take a full or differential backup, so that no future databse failure will need the log backups that were in that file, but if you do subsequently discover that you need to recover to a point in time that you would need those logs to get to you have a problem. So putting many log backups in a file creates a problem only when appending an extra log backup corrupts a file of log backups afer an error has corrupted or deleted data in the database but before this error has been detected and recovery action taken - pretty rare, I guess, but worth thinking about if you have a clear need to be able to do PiT recovery.

Tom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suspect this got lost in all the 'helping Grant abuse SQL' posts...

Another request:

I'm bunking tonight and starting the rewrite of my rather old (and second-ever) article Managing Transaction Logs. Other than when and when not to shrink (which definitely has to go in there), what else do people think I need to add or expand on?

I'm adding a whole section on why not to shrink, when shrinking is fine and how to. I'm cutting the recovery model stuff down (as there's another article I can reference) and adding a mismanagement section. Anything else that needs covering?

Might I add that a brief description of what the CHECKPOINT command actual accomplishes. I believe many do not understand that it writes changes in the Buffer pool to the logfile. And then tie that in to what the LAZY WRITER actually does. Now hopefully these two could be clearly explained in one short paragraph, or a simple graphic. Rather simple and very basic. Adding how to alter the frequency/duration of time available for the LAZY WRITER would definitely belong in the mismanagement section.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket-25253 (9/16/2011)

Might I add that a brief description of what the CHECKPOINT command actual accomplishes. I believe many do not understand that it writes changes in the Buffer pool to the logfile. And then tie that in to what the LAZY WRITER actually does.

I have a blog post on that, so a reference would work better than several paragraphs I think.

The checkpoint does not write dirty pages to the log file. It writes them to the data file as long as the associated log records have been hardened in the data file.

I've been considering an article for Simple-Talk on that, to cover the subject properly and clear all the misconceptions floating around would take far more space than usual for an SSC article

Adding how to alter the frequency/duration of time available for the LAZY WRITER would definitely belong in the mismanagement section.

That's simple, you can't. It's the checkpoint frequency/duration that can be changed, sometimes for a very good reasnon

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

bitbucket-25253 (9/16/2011)

Might I add that a brief description of what the CHECKPOINT command actual accomplishes. I believe many do not understand that it writes changes in the Buffer pool to the logfile. And then tie that in to what the LAZY WRITER actually does.

I have a blog post on that, so a reference would work better than several paragraphs I think.

The checkpoint does not write dirty pages to the log file. It writes them to the data file as long as the associated log records have been hardened in the data file.

I've been considering an article for Simple-Talk on that, to cover the subject properly and clear all the misconceptions floating around would take far more space than usual for an SSC article

Hey, Jeff has written some pretty long ones here. I bet Steve will go for it.

Wayne

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    Performance Problems

• Hey guys and gals: I've posted a page on my blog dealing with Ad-Hoc Querying[/url]. Can I get you'll to look it over, and if you have any other ways of dealing with *.txt, *.csv or *.xls files with OPENROWSET or OPENDATASOURCE, please fire them my way.

Thanks!

(30 posts to go to 30,000!)

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

Viewing 15 posts - 29,956 through 29,970 (of 66,603 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply