Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Trey Staker (7/25/2011)

Speaking of superhero type movies, I rented "I am Number Four" this weekend and watched twice. I really enjoyed it, I rarely watch a movie more than once.

I've been wanting to see that one. I'll have to rent/stream it.

• Haven't seen Captain America yet, but I may see it twice this week.

Cap ties with Ben Grimm for my all-time favorite comic book hero.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Jack Corbett (7/20/2011)

Congrats to Jeff for the Exceptional DBA nomination.

Sorry about the late reply. Thanks for the congrats, Jack.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve Thompson-454462 (7/22/2011)

Gianluca Sartori (7/19/2011)

There's someone you all know that deserves your vote here[/url].

I'm sure you know who I'm talking about. 😉

Jeff gets my vote.

One of the first articles I read on this site was his one on triangular joins -- it was eye opening.

I thought I knew T-SQL fairly well, but I approached it like a procedural coder (cursors; encapsulating logic in multi-statement tvfs, etc.). Jeff's articles have made me a set-based evangelist; completely changed the way I model my procedures.

Now I try to pass that mind set onto my junior developers so that they don't develop RBAR habits.

Thanks for all the help, Jeff.

Wonderful words to hear, Steve. Thank you very much for the vote and the great feedback. I'm glad I could help.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• LutzM (7/21/2011)

Gianluca Sartori (7/19/2011)

There's someone you all know that deserves your vote here[/url].

I'm sure you know who I'm talking about. 😉

Vote added.

Thank you Jeff for all the help you provided so far and -in advance- for the solutions you'll provide in the future!!

I've learned a LOT from your articles and posts!! THANK YOU!!

Especially when taking into account what the winner will get, I think it would simply fit best this year. Right?

But I'm a little bit scared, too: I may have learned too much from you, since my beard slowly start to change color... ;-):-P

You're definitely one of the good guys, Lutz. I've found that I have some good difficulty in finding posts in my favorite areas that you haven't already answered. 🙂 And the color change in the beard isn't for learning too much... it comes from teaching. Keep it up, ol' friend... you'll look great in a fully white beard. 😛

Hmmm... maybe we can start an "SQL Santa Workshop". :hehe:

Seriously... thank you for the vote and the feedback, Lutz.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• jcrawf02 (7/22/2011)[hrAnyone who is using them to be *busier* is doing it wrong.

That's what I used to think... then I became a regular poster on SSC.:-P

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• mtillman-921105 (7/25/2011)

Too many of these posters don't realize the level of expertise that they are getting here. Maybe you all need more intimidating titles like "Grand Intergalactic SQL Master" or something. 🙂 Or, at least displaying the alphabet soup might make one or two pause before challenging your advice.

Heh... how much more intimidating do you want to get beyond "Gila Monster"? 😛 I love how she handles people that really like to lead with their chin out. :w00t:

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• john.arnott (7/25/2011)

Would it be OK to submit this as a QOD?

Question:

What's the answer?Answer choices:

It depends.

It doesn't depend.

What's the question?

I think there's a tpyo in here so I can only guess.

There are so many responses to today's (precedence) question that just bitch and moan about how you need to see the data to really know and completely ignore the obvous lesson that BitBucket proposed. I figure maybe I should give all those who want to prove they're so smart and can look/thnk "outside the box" a chance to get it out of their systems.

You've missed including the most obvious answer 😛

"42"

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• john.arnott (7/25/2011)

Would it be OK to submit this as a QOD?

Question:

What's the answer?Answer choices:

It depends.

It doesn't depend.

What's the question?

I think there's a tpyo in here so I can only guess.

There are so many responses to today's (precedence) question that just bitch and moan about how you need to see the data to really know and completely ignore the obvous lesson that BitBucket proposed. I figure maybe I should give all those who want to prove they're so smart and can look/thnk "outside the box" a chance to get it out of their systems.

The responses intrigued me - I saw the question after Steve's correction, not before, so had to go an look at the daily email to see what the original had been. I didn't think the correction was needed - although it wasn't quite as thoroughly unambiguous as was Ninja's question last week that raised even more controversy.

I don't know why Steve "corrected" it and awarded points - far worse things get left uncorrected in QotD.

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (7/25/2011)

The responses intrigued me - I saw the question after Steve's correction, not before, so had to go an look at the daily email to see what the original had been. I didn't think the correction was needed - although it wasn't quite as thoroughly unambiguous as was Ninja's question last week that raised even more controversy.

I don't know why Steve "corrected" it and awarded points - far worse things get left uncorrected in QotD.

My question got corrected today and all points awarded back.

It's a little weird ±5 days after the fact and I still don't see the new wording as a better question but anywho! 😉

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/25/2011)

It's a little weird ±5 days after the fact and I still don't see the new wording as a better question but anywho! 😉

Another one that needed no correcting. Why do the correct ones get corrected?

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (7/25/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/25/2011)

Another one that needed no correcting. Why do the correct ones get corrected?

I got that one wrong- deservedly.

With my QOD on Precedence -

I just hope that those who complained about wether their was specific data in the table, etc., etc., do not write their own test plans, and test their own code and then when it is placed in production wonder why it does not work.

So to forestall any complaints on another QOD I submitted, it includes creating a schema, a table, code inserting the data, and the settings for auto create stats, update stats. A note stating that the statistics name as used in a DBCC command is the statistic for that table and column. And then finally the question.

Now anyone want to bet that their will NOT be complaints?

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Jeff Moden (7/25/2011)

mtillman-921105 (7/25/2011)

Too many of these posters don't realize the level of expertise that they are getting here. Maybe you all need more intimidating titles like "Grand Intergalactic SQL Master" or something. 🙂 Or, at least displaying the alphabet soup might make one or two pause before challenging your advice.

Heh... how much more intimidating do you want to get beyond "Gila Monster"? 😛 I love how she handles people that really like to lead with their chin out. :w00t:

*rubs his jaw* I don't know what you're talking about...

... picks up the phone. "What, the "hit here" tattoo? Nono, don't think I'll be needing it anymore. A bullseye? Hmm.... let's talk..."

BTW, Jeff, I did vote for ya, I figured I'd not jump into the chorus of 'me, too!' at the time. My reasons are my own, but you've earned it. 🙂

And I'm going to be lurking for a while more folks, unfortunately. I won't have much time for a while to work on the 'interesting' questions, and life's a bit zany, so don't worry about me, I'll be back to annoy you when I get these couple of big deals off my plate at work.

Though, some may be thinking a vacation from me would be rather nice... 😛 😉

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• bitbucket-25253 (7/25/2011)

So to forestall any complaints on another QOD I submitted, it includes creating a schema, a table, code inserting the data, and the settings for auto create stats, update stats. A note stating that the statistics name as used in a DBCC command is the statistic for that table and column. And then finally the question.

Too much information, I was mislead as to what the purpose of the question was.

Of course, you really should do all that on a question about SSIS lookup components. 😀

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (7/25/2011)

bitbucket-25253 (7/25/2011)

Too much information, I was mislead as to what the purpose of the question was.

Of course, you really should do all that on a question about SSIS lookup components. 😀

Craig Farrell

And I'm going to be lurking for a while more folks, unfortunately. I won't have much time for a while to work on the 'interesting' questions, and life's a bit zany, so don't worry about me, I'll be back to annoy you when I get these couple of big deals off my plate at work.

Craig when you do get back, the job of posting a question about SSIS lookup is reserved for you.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 28,351 through 28,365 (of 66,603 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply