Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jack Corbett (6/13/2011)

Haven't been on here in awhile, and haven't even tried to catch up yet. I've been packing and cleaning the last 2 weeks and tomorrow is the big day when the movers come and start taking our stuff up to NH. We'll be leaving shortly after the truck leaves and be arriving in NH on Friday.

I actually start work next Monday on a 6 month contract in Concord, NH. I'll be doing T-SQL performance tuning mostly. They have a 3rd-party app that isn't scaling and need the SP's re-written to improve performance. I'll likely be making some indexing recommendation's as well. They do have a production DBA, that, while they haven't mentioned working with him, I'm planning on getting to know him and working with him. The application is a port from Oracle, so I'm betting there will be some quick fixes I can apply to take advantage of SQL Server's architectural differences.

I'll be travelling the rest of the week so probably won't be online much for a couple of weeks as I'll need to get internet service to my rent.

Looking forward to seeing my New England friends this summer. Hope to get to Grant's UG sometime and get him and others up to the Seacoast SQL User Group in NH (yes you Stefan!)

Good luck on the move, the new digs, and the contract.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Enjoy the new job, Jack. Hope things go smoothly moving back to the NE

• Top month posting for the Ninja is 1717.

Wow, not sure I've ever posted that much.

• Tom.Thomson (6/13/2011)

george sibbald (6/13/2011)

SQLRNNR (6/13/2011)

The Dixie Flatline (6/12/2011)

If I passed, could I add "Thread Certified" to my resume` ?

I thought you already had "Certified" added to your resume.

He's not only sane, he has a certificate to prove it.

😉

Is there an in missed out in there?

its the punchline from an old joke. To get a certificate saying you are sane you have to have spent some time under suspicion of being insane.

Hence, if you have such a certificate..........

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Haven't been on here in awhile, and haven't even tried to catch up yet. I've been packing and cleaning the last 2 weeks and tomorrow is the big day when the movers come and start taking our stuff up to NH. We'll be leaving shortly after the truck leaves and be arriving in NH on Friday.

I actually start work next Monday on a 6 month contract in Concord, NH. I'll be doing T-SQL performance tuning mostly. They have a 3rd-party app that isn't scaling and need the SP's re-written to improve performance. I'll likely be making some indexing recommendation's as well. They do have a production DBA, that, while they haven't mentioned working with him, I'm planning on getting to know him and working with him. The application is a port from Oracle, so I'm betting there will be some quick fixes I can apply to take advantage of SQL Server's architectural differences.

I'll be travelling the rest of the week so probably won't be online much for a couple of weeks as I'll need to get internet service to my rent.

Looking forward to seeing my New England friends this summer. Hope to get to Grant's UG sometime and get him and others up to the Seacoast SQL User Group in NH (yes you Stefan!)

I think my UG is on it's last legs. We only had three people at the last meeting. Speakers will stop attending soon.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (6/13/2011)

Jack Corbett (6/13/2011)

I think my UG is on it's last legs. We only had three people at the last meeting. Speakers will stop attending soon.

Are they just attending other user groups in the area? The one in Watham has been growing lately.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• I think I figured out why the UG in Jax is so popular. According to some news item floating around, Jacksonville, FL is the place to go for DBA jobs. There are tons available and not enough qualified applicants at the moment.

It's an employee's market here, folks. Come on over and see us sometime.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Tom.Thomson (6/10/2011)

Kit G (6/9/2011)

GilaMonster (6/9/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/9/2011)

I think I'd be more worried about someone with a gladius on a subway car. A claymore is a lot of steel in a confined space.

It's more the psychological effect. 'His weapons are larger than mine' impression.

Yep. That was my thought when I heard the story, a subway car is a bit cramped to be using a 6' length of steel.

Six feet is a hopeless overestimate for a claymore.

The two-handed (or hand-and-a-half) highland claymore was only about three quarters of that length.

The more recent one-handed regimental (dress) claymore is even shorter, and ranges from about two and a half to abit under three feet. I haven't a clue why this was called a claymore - if it had acquired that name in the 18th century I would attribute it to the illiteracty (in gaelic) of the British army's officer class at that time, but the highland regiments still had highland (gaelic-speaking) officers in the 17th century when the dress claymore acquired its name, and they wouldn't have mistaken a one-hander with a basket hilt for a "great sword" (the literal translation of "claidheamh mór", which became claymore in English).

That's the story as I heard it. Since I wasn't there, I have no idea what has been exaggerated and what's an alteration of the original incident. And yes, it was an old-ish tale when I heard it in my 20s. Given a guess, I would say it happened sometime in the 70s before all the bans. Although, since it wasn't concealed, some of the weapon-carrying laws on the books at the time might not have applied.

Six feet is a bit big for a sword, considering that I reach the great height of 5'1", it would be impossible for me to wield such a weapon except as a poor club. The short time I fenced, I found the foil to be of an adequate length. Had I continued my studies, I might have graduated to the saber and epee. If I remember correctly, the standard foil blade is 35" long (89 cm for you non-British units of measurement types), a far cry from 5 feet of steel blade and 1 foot of hilt. I would probably be more of a danger to myself than to anyone else if I tried to wield a sword that is taller than I am. :Whistling:

-- Kit

• Brandie Tarvin (6/13/2011)

I think I figured out why the UG in Jax is so popular. According to some news item floating around, Jacksonville, FL is the place to go for DBA jobs. There are tons available and not enough qualified applicants at the moment.

I'll take one of the jobs if I can stay in MA!

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Thought I'd share. My wife ordered this book and I finished it just now. Having dealt with a problem sleeper (and still dealing with him at age 13), this thing was just too hilarious.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

I'll be traveling the rest of the week so probably won't be online much for a couple of weeks as I'll need to get internet service to my rent.

Have a safe move and enjoy New Ham-----shah, Jack.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/13/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (6/13/2011)

I think I figured out why the UG in Jax is so popular. According to some news item floating around, Jacksonville, FL is the place to go for DBA jobs. There are tons available and not enough qualified applicants at the moment.

You'd have to check if they want someone on-site or if they're willing to do off-site with a bit of occasional travel. It depends on the company, I suppose.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/13/2011)

Top month posting for the Ninja is 1717.

Ummmm. Ya. That's kind of a lot.

...and I've only been corrected by Gail 403 times.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

I hope it's still that way in about a year from now. My wife who is a lawyer in her country of origin (Venezuela) has been peparing for the LSAT and will be going to law school to become a lawyer here in the US. There's a school in Jacksonville that has shown some interest in her. We lived in Florida for a few years about a decade ago, we'd like to come back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

Stefan Krzywicki (6/13/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (6/13/2011)

You'd have to check if they want someone on-site or if they're willing to do off-site with a bit of occasional travel. It depends on the company, I suppose.

Mostly I don't want to have to go to FL. : -)

Viewing 15 posts - 27,241 through 27,255 (of 66,600 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply