Are the posted questions getting worse?

• george sibbald (6/13/2011)

Tom.Thomson (6/13/2011)

george sibbald (6/13/2011)

SQLRNNR (6/13/2011)

The Dixie Flatline (6/12/2011)

If I passed, could I add "Thread Certified" to my resume` ?

I thought you already had "Certified" added to your resume.

He's not only sane, he has a certificate to prove it.

๐Ÿ˜‰

Is there an in missed out in there?

its the punchline from an old joke. To get a certificate saying you are sane you have to have spent some time under suspicion of being insane.

Hence, if you have such a certificate..........

"I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested." - Sheldon on Big Bang Theory

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/13/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (6/13/2011)

I think I figured out why the UG in Jax is so popular. According to some news item floating around, Jacksonville, FL is the place to go for DBA jobs. There are tons available and not enough qualified applicants at the moment.

It's an employee's market here, folks. Come on over and see us sometime.

I'll take one of the jobs if I can stay in MA!

The problem is convincing one of these companies that you can do the same job from a remote (home) office as you can while sitting at a desk in their office.

I would welcome the opportunity to do that, with the communications technologies available today, the only reason I can come up with for butts in seats is working on classified government contracts.

• Lynn Pettis (6/13/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/13/2011)

I think I figured out why the UG in Jax is so popular. According to some news item floating around, Jacksonville, FL is the place to go for DBA jobs. There are tons available and not enough qualified applicants at the moment.

The problem is convincing one of these companies that you can do the same job from a remote (home) office as you can while sitting at a desk in their office.

I would welcome the opportunity to do that, with the communications technologies available today, the only reason I can come up with for butts in seats is working on classified government contracts.

While I'm fine with doing jobs from home 100% of the time and have done them in the past, I do think there's something to be said for face to face meetings. And communication by email tends to be more formal than just stopping by someone's cube to check on something.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/13/2011)

Lynn Pettis (6/13/2011)

While I'm fine with doing jobs from home 100% of the time and have done them in the past, I do think there's something to be said for face to face meetings. And communication by email tends to be more formal than just stopping by someone's cube to check on something.

I can get things done twice as fast in the office as I can from home. That said, I get three times more *intended* work done when I work from home. There's something to be said for both sides of the equation.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Lynn Pettis (6/13/2011)

Over the years I've found that I sometimes have to talk to people face to face, and/or get a group together round a whiteboard to work things out, and/or go have a meal or a few beers with colleagues, if I want to work effectively and have my team work effectively too. Customers (actual or potential), Venture Capitalists and other Investors (again whether actual or potential) have to be stroked frm time to time too, and that's best done face to face. There are sometimes technical issues which require hands-on presence too (for example when I worked on data comms I sometimes found it difficult to do remote debugging or maintenance on communications devices that had ceased to communicate). That doesn't mean I need to be in the office (or in one of the offices, since I seem to have had multi-location jobs for a very large proportion of my life) all the time - working from home is fine for many things; but any jobs that requires no face-to-face contact is, in my view, extremely weird.

Tom

• Depends on the job. My wife has been in consulting and sales engineering for 15 years. Productive at home, and productive on the road. An office doesn't necessarily make sense for her, and it's worked well for that type of job.

For me, I love being at home, and I'm more productive, and faster, and work longer, but I'm doing tasks that are solo 99% of the time.

If you collaborate a lot, it can be hard, but it can be done. Mostly requires getting a good team and keeping them so they can learn to work together. However I think it's easier to be in the office for meetings and at times when you need to work together.

Telecommuting isn't' for everyone. Some people need the separation of work and home.

• My daughter was not thrilled with FL last weekend. Too hot for her. My wife canceled a trip to Baton Rouge with me for the same reason.

I however, like the hot weather.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/13/2011)

My daughter was not thrilled with FL last weekend. Too hot for her. My wife canceled a trip to Baton Rouge with me for the same reason.

Where in FL? Different parts have significantly different weather.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (6/13/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/13/2011)

My daughter was not thrilled with FL last weekend. Too hot for her. My wife canceled a trip to Baton Rouge with me for the same reason.

lol ETC...hadn't seen that one earlier

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• GSquared (6/13/2011)

Pah, Arizona is a desert, doncha know?! Really, there's nowhere to ski here... and there isn't an ounce of green that isn't the color of some wildfire.

Though, I am kinda surprised to hear it's THAT different, as I was unaware that Florida had a mountain range other than the tail of the Adirondacks. I could see large differences in humidity, but not necessarily general weather other then where the rain hit.

(For those unaware, Arizona, while containing Phoenix and Tucson in the Sun Valley, also has Flagstaff, home of the 'Snow Bowl', the Rim which is a popular camping site in summer ~30 degrees less then the desert, and some wonderful boating on our lakes, of which there are MANY. We used to be the highest boat per capita state... in a desert. I think we're #2 now.)

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (6/13/2011)

GSquared (6/13/2011)

Pah, Arizona is a desert, doncha know?! Really, there's nowhere to ski here... and there isn't an ounce of green that isn't the color of some wildfire.

Though, I am kinda surprised to hear it's THAT different, as I was unaware that Florida had a mountain range other than the tail of the Adirondacks. I could see large differences in humidity, but not necessarily general weather other then where the rain hit.

(For those unaware, Arizona, while containing Phoenix and Tucson in the Sun Valley, also has Flagstaff, home of the 'Snow Bowl', the Rim which is a popular camping site in summer ~30 degrees less then the desert, and some wonderful boating on our lakes, of which there are MANY. We used to be the highest boat per capita state... in a desert. I think we're #2 now.)

We also have a ski resort near the area where the fires are called Sunrise. Beautiful ponderosa pine country.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• David Burrows (6/13/2011)

SQLRNNR (6/2/2011)

GSquared (6/2/2011)

opc.three (6/2/2011)

LutzM (6/2/2011)

To quote from a thread I've been involved:

Also, I will start to participate on the site more often. It has always been useful and seems to be very helpful and friendly.

What else can we ask for?

I just stumbled onto the thread. You may have created another SSC Addict. Very nice feedback from all perspectives!

There will be a pop quiz on The Thread for all newly arrived members, tomorrow. You will be expected to recite all posts in it verbatim.

Either that or welcome aboard, and ignore the ramblings you want to ignore and participate in the ones you like. ๐Ÿ™‚

Pop quiz will also contain a recital of all acronyms in Gus' signature.

But must be sung to the music of "We Didn't Start The Fire"

It was always burning?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jack Corbett (6/13/2011)

Haven't been on here in awhile, and haven't even tried to catch up yet. I've been packing and cleaning the last 2 weeks and tomorrow is the big day when the movers come and start taking our stuff up to NH. We'll be leaving shortly after the truck leaves and be arriving in NH on Friday.

I actually start work next Monday on a 6 month contract in Concord, NH. I'll be doing T-SQL performance tuning mostly. They have a 3rd-party app that isn't scaling and need the SP's re-written to improve performance. I'll likely be making some indexing recommendation's as well. They do have a production DBA, that, while they haven't mentioned working with him, I'm planning on getting to know him and working with him. The application is a port from Oracle, so I'm betting there will be some quick fixes I can apply to take advantage of SQL Server's architectural differences.

I'll be travelling the rest of the week so probably won't be online much for a couple of weeks as I'll need to get internet service to my rent.

Looking forward to seeing my New England friends this summer. Hope to get to Grant's UG sometime and get him and others up to the Seacoast SQL User Group in NH (yes you Stefan!)

Wow - it all seems to have happened so quickly.

Good luck.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jack Corbett (6/13/2011)

Haven't been on here in awhile, and haven't even tried to catch up yet. I've been packing and cleaning the last 2 weeks and tomorrow is the big day when the movers come and start taking our stuff up to NH. We'll be leaving shortly after the truck leaves and be arriving in NH on Friday.

I actually start work next Monday on a 6 month contract in Concord, NH. I'll be doing T-SQL performance tuning mostly. They have a 3rd-party app that isn't scaling and need the SP's re-written to improve performance. I'll likely be making some indexing recommendation's as well. They do have a production DBA, that, while they haven't mentioned working with him, I'm planning on getting to know him and working with him. The application is a port from Oracle, so I'm betting there will be some quick fixes I can apply to take advantage of SQL Server's architectural differences.

I'll be travelling the rest of the week so probably won't be online much for a couple of weeks as I'll need to get internet service to my rent.

Looking forward to seeing my New England friends this summer. Hope to get to Grant's UG sometime and get him and others up to the Seacoast SQL User Group in NH (yes you Stefan!)

Congratulations and best of luck, Unk.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/13/2011)

Top month posting for the Ninja is 1717.

Wow, not sure I've ever posted that much.

Assuming a few e-mails here and there that's 21 000 post PER YEAR.

When was the site created already :w00t:?

Tx Steve. I knew I had been insane once... not sure I'd want to do that again any time soon while working full time :hehe: (ya I had time to spare, but still...)

Viewing 15 posts - 27,256 through 27,270 (of 66,641 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply