Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 9,166 through 9,180 (of 39,936 total)

  • RE: Question for All DBAs (What can I learn to enahnce my career?)

    Jeff Moden (11/6/2015)


    My recommendation would be to learn the database engine inside and out along with everything you can get your hands on for T-SQL programming. I can't speak...

  • RE: Aging Software

    I do agree it's potentially a good move, but really the other things you highlighted, skills, understanding, are more important.

    I can use separation of versions in VMs just as well...

  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    jasona.work (11/10/2015)


    Anyone feel like stopping by to help me paint some rooms in my house Thanksgiving weekend? There'll be left-over turkey and I'll even spring for a case of...

  • RE: Daily newsletter

    Send a note to webmaster@ this domain. Someone can check and see if you have an issue specific to your account.

    Steve

  • RE: Crossing Azure Borders

    chrisn-585491 (11/9/2015)


    Azure: still can't legally use it for a majority of my clients. Still has a ton of issues that you don't find with self hosted servers, missing features, bad...

  • RE: Do You Have Scary Code?

    DonlSimpson (11/10/2015)


    Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/10/2015)


    Here's a good look at some reasons why you might want to change code. It's long, but it's really interesting.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWiwDdx_rdo

    Interesting that it's called "2...

  • RE: Job Schedules

    dario.quinto (11/10/2015)


    iain.jacob 29849 (11/10/2015)


    There is always another way...

    WHERE js.next_run_date = cast(convert(varchar(8),GETDATE(),112) as int);

    yep, and personally I find this more readable

    Wha? More readable? It relies on a magic number. If...

  • RE: Need help finding one set of data within another set of data for update

    I'm late here, and maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but you can use SUBSTRING with a length param.

    With this, if you have the dash in the string, could you do something...

  • RE: Do You Have Scary Code?

    Iwas Bornready (11/10/2015)


    Over the years I think I've written some of that scary code. If something needs changing then change it. But I am not a proponent of just changing...

  • RE: Do You Have Scary Code?

    GilaMonster (11/10/2015)


    I've recently seen a system with many user-defined functions, each with thousands of lines of code, often calling each other. Tests or no tests, I'm not touching that.

    Write a...

  • RE: Do You Have Scary Code?

    Gary Varga (11/10/2015)


    Recent client has 6 millions line of code in COBOL, VB5 and PL/SQL (plus a little VB.NET and C# in the mix). It was written in the mid-90s.

    Their...

  • RE: Aging Software

    Maybe. I'm not sure Docker is that much better in terms of modularity, except that if it encourages smaller containers and micro-service-like architectures, that's good.

    However if you end up with...

  • RE: Talking baseball

    I won't predict, but here's my opinion:

    In:

    Griffey

    Hoffman

    Piazza

    Bonds

    Schilling

    Bagwell

    Out:

    Walker - not sure he did enough

    Nomar, Kent, McGriff

  • RE: How do i get subscribed to any question being asked?

    What do the posts look like? You can forward to the webmaster if you're concerned.

    We have had an attack on spam with the fall sports season in the US. If...

  • RE: The Command Line is Back

    chrisn-585491 (11/9/2015)


    The command line hasn't gone anywhere, it can't be "back". :ermm:

    Even before PS and long after it got popular, I've been using the CLI on Windows, (as well...

Viewing 15 posts - 9,166 through 9,180 (of 39,936 total)