Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 26,326 through 26,340 (of 39,922 total)

  • RE: New SQL Server Programmer from Russia!

    Read the daily articles here and on SQLTEam, Database Journal, Simple Talk, etc. and learn. Try answering questions here, pick up a book.

    We can help with specific questions if you...

  • RE: SQL server 2005 security

    The same permissions from SQL 2000 exist in SQL 2005.

    I'm not sure what you mean by not seeing them. Are you not finding this in SSMS?

    Moved to the security forum.

  • RE: Need information on Merge replication and VMware

    Quite a few people are running SQL Server is VMs, but you have to be aware that you have less resources than on a similarly sized server. If you have...

  • RE: Standalone Servers, Mount Points and the SAN

    I like Elizabeth's advice, especially about backups. I might put them on the SAN IF I was sure they were on physically separate disks, but you want to make sure...

  • RE: Service packs and instances

    Be aware that some subsystems, like SSIS, are not instance aware. They can be installed only once on a particular host server. If SSIS is installed, it's available in all...

  • RE: use the intellisense on SQL Server 2005

    Certain features of SSMS 2008 are turned off with prior versions. Intellisense is one of them. They didn't write anything to figure out which functions/features work with each version, so...

  • RE: How can I run sql server stored procedures in parallel?

    Do you really need them to execute at the same time or just both execute and return a value before sproc 3?

    The technique above from sql_er will work if they...

  • RE: Cross Apply is not workign on SQL Server compatibility level 2000(80)

    The compatibility level affects which keywords are working, so you can't do this without changing the level. However you can use T-SQL, as mentioned above, to achieve the same type...

  • RE: Linked Server Mystery

    Very strange. I might write a routine to capture the sp_configure settings every hour or so and report if it's changed. That will help you narrow things down to see...

  • RE: Need to implement some sort of auditing

    The problem with going with stored procedures is that you'll have an exception somewhere and that will cause problems. If you can tightly control development, this can work, but it...

  • RE: TSQL

    Hugo,

    Thanks and good seeing you last week.

    Didn't think about those parts being optional when I reviewed this. I kind of glanced at it and took those to be valid options.

    The...

  • RE: Pass Summit - Lessons Learned

    One more thing I might mention here.

    Don't feel bad about missing a session. If you get busy or get into good conversations with people, especially MS people, skip a session....

  • RE: Which hot fix should I install after I install SQL server 2005 SP2?

    I think CU6 was stable on clusters, though I haven't heard a lot since then. You might email Geoff Hiten, SQL MVP that does a lot with clusters.

    I would go...

  • RE: Stop using the SA login

    I'm with Gail and Lynn.

    I had to do this and it was hard, but I got management buy in, created Windows groups and assigned permissions (DBO, not SA) and then...

  • RE: Out of disk space--Now What?

    The SAN drives are just other disks to the OS. You can have some MDf/NDF/LDF files local and some on the SAN, though I wouldn't recommend it. I'd start migrating...

Viewing 15 posts - 26,326 through 26,340 (of 39,922 total)