Beginning Administration

• They must by log files for other databases.

Check the file names and try to find out which database(s) create(s) it.

• Is it the query analyser box? If so, it wants you to tell it what server to connect to, and what login to use.

• As a relatively new DBA myself, I can recommend SQL Books Online as your primary source. Pretty much everything you will need to know is in there. Microsoft pulished administrators guides, which are nice, but if your experience is anything like mine, you will focus on some aspects of Administration at time while barely scratching the surface on others. And when you need the knowledge, you will need it quickly. So BOL is your local and best friend!!

• Randy Barlow (3/23/2006)

Dumb Question: Can someone direct me to something that tells me how to set up Windows XP to work with SQL. When I click on Query, up junps a box wanting a server name, etc. Where do I get that?

Hi are you using sql server 2000 or sql server 2005. You could check for the server name from enterprise manager in sql server 2000 or sql server management studio in case of 2005 for the server name. Enter the server name here, it is the name of the instance that you want the query analyser to connect. You should check how you have registered the server, it could be windows authentication or sql server authentication.

• I would love to see some interesting facts and learn more about Cusors!

• I could use some solid clarification about how to manage transaction logs.. Like for instance,

- why its never a good idea to "delete" the primary database's physical transaction log file...(and believe me, that will make the concept of recovery management ridiculously moot...) 😉

- What to do with database files that aren't primary or secondary... (Specifically how to manage the transaction log file)

:hehe:

Grant

• Closing this thread as it's drifting a bit.

Please post requests in the appropriate forum.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply