Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 322 total)
Gail,
I know you suggested,
"Tune your code, tune your indexes. If the views are nested, fix that first.
Consider some form of reporting server to offload the reports to."
I'm just curious--would you...
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
August 25, 2016 at 12:08 pm
Thank you. I'll keep all of this in mind.
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
August 9, 2016 at 2:21 pm
Jeff,
That's some interesting insight. I don't think I would have necessarily thought updating one was more important than updating the other. I'll make sure to ensure statistics get updated frequently...
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
August 7, 2016 at 11:42 am
Thanks so much for the explanations! Very helpful.
I'm going to work on all of the items in your and Jeff's recommendations.
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
August 7, 2016 at 9:43 am
Thank you both for your replies. A few follow-up questions:
Regarding cost threshold, I've read many articles that suggest 50 is a good starting point. However, some of the queries and...
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
August 6, 2016 at 4:32 pm
These are really great suggestions. I'm looking forward to trying them next week. Thanks so much!
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
June 3, 2016 at 9:20 am
I should have clarified. If it's part of a CTE, I can use a Tally table. I'm trying to avoid adding a physical table to the database as it's a...
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
June 1, 2016 at 8:52 am
Got it. Thanks so much!
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
May 20, 2016 at 12:53 pm
frederico_fonseca (4/22/2016)
create view [table_normalized]
as
select t1.PersonID
, t1.col_name
, t1.col_value
from ( select t1.PersonID
...
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
May 19, 2016 at 8:45 am
Frederico,
That's an interesting approach. Am I correct in assuming that I'd need to create a case statement containing every possibility for field names across all of the tables I have...
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
April 23, 2016 at 5:45 am
Thanks, Sergiy.
That would reduce the number of views I'd have to create, but I think it'd be a similar amount of typing in anything that joins to the view. For...
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
April 22, 2016 at 6:03 am
Kristen,
Thanks. That doesn't exactly produce the results I'm looking for but what if I split the string into rows based on a delimiter (e.g., the "#" sign). Then, each row...
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
September 19, 2015 at 4:15 pm
I might be able to use the wildcard character. Maybe I'm just over complicating a simple problem but how might you extract the values that aren't matched by the pattern...
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
September 17, 2015 at 8:31 pm
This is incredibly helpful. Thank you for your input!!
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
September 14, 2015 at 12:33 pm
Thanks, Eirikur!
I see what you're doing but I'm not sure how I can use that last column to determine the overlap of fields between reports. Perhaps I'm missing something. Can...
Mike Scalise, PMP
https://www.michaelscalise.com
September 12, 2015 at 7:34 am
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 322 total)