Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 322 total)

  • Reply To: Looking for old SQL Server 1.x - 4.21 disks, manuals, boxes, etc.

    Thanks so much, Steve — I really appreciate this.

    I know you didn't have anything from that era yourself, but taking the extra step to post this to the MS MVP...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • Reply To: Upgraded to SQL Server 2016. Can I change compatibility levels of the master db?

    Thanks, Johan! I appreciate the response!

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • Reply To: DelimitedSplit8K License Question

    Jeff,

    Thank you for the response and for the clarification. Also, I didn't realize that Eirikur had taken it even further! If I end up incorporating it into my code, I'll...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • Reply To: Substring SELECT query from CREATE VIEW statement

    Fair enough, but what if I remove all of the comments beforehand, then employ my technique? Then it should handle your most recent examples AND be considered valid since it...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • Reply To: Substring SELECT query from CREATE VIEW statement

    frederico,

    Thank you for the response. Have you looked at my most recent proposed code? It doesn't use CHARINDEX, so I believe it works in all of your examples...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • Reply To: Substring SELECT query from CREATE VIEW statement

    Hey all, I'm wondering if I can avoid using REPLACE at all (at least with spaces and/or CHAR(10) CHAR(13) so that we don't need to worry about potential JOIN predicate...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • Reply To: Substring SELECT query from CREATE VIEW statement

    Scott,

    Thanks for the response. Would you mind explaining your code a little bit?

    I get the gist that you're replacing multiple spaces with one, but why the variance of #s in...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • Reply To: Substring SELECT query from CREATE VIEW statement

    Brian,

    Thank you for commenting! I hadn't thought about proactively REPLACE-ing CHAR 13 and 10 with a single space to simplify things and then also be able to use LTRIM and...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • Reply To: Extracting SELECT statement from queries.

    Phil Parkin wrote:

    I presume you've got a lot of this to do & you want to build an automated way of doing it.

    Correct. I have quite a few.

    Phil Parkin wrote:

    I would do...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • Reply To: Failover Cluster Instance Share

    Jeffrey Williams wrote:

    As long as your cluster maintains quorum - the AG will continue to function and you won't have any issues, that is why you have the file share witness.

    For...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • Reply To: Parameter Sniffing

    Got it. Thanks for the response!

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • Reply To: Parameter Sniffing

    Grant,

    Ya know--I was giving one your responses a little more thought...you stated that optimize for a value is a potential fix for Parameter Sniffing. I agree but wanted to get...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • Reply To: Parameter Sniffing

    Honestly--yes. I think all of this. I knew already knew some of the potential fixes, but the information about CHAR(1), the histogram, etc. and how the optimizer will behave, while...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • Reply To: Parameter Sniffing

    Hi Grant,

    As always, thank you for the response. Just one thing, if you don't mind.

    I understand how indexes work and the importance of the selectivity of the leading column of...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • Reply To: RCSI Questions

    Thank you, Grant! That actually clears everything up. I wasn't planning on using RCSI at a connection level, but rather just trying to understand the different ways in which it...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 322 total)