Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 322 total)

  • RE: Non-clustered index question

    Hi John,

    Thanks for the reply. I have a few comments:

    No, because if you only have a non-clustered index, your table is a heap.

    I know technically a table without a clustered...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • RE: How best to handle non-normalized data

    ...yeah I couldn't think of any viable workarounds either.

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • RE: How best to handle non-normalized data

    Alan.B (9/15/2016)


    Vendor Databases are generally not designed by database gurus which is a good thing, it helps keep us database people employed.

    For a situation like this, clustered indexes, non-clustered...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • RE: How best to handle non-normalized data

    The Dixie Flatline (9/15/2016)


    Are you trying to take normalization a step further and create separate tables for possible colors, hobbies, and SQLConferences?

    Well, it's not that I want to do that,...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • RE: Cost Threshold for Parallelism not being honored?

    Ah, that makes perfect sense. 72 as a serial plan.....

    As always, thank you. Also, I just watched your SQL Bits presentation on indexes. Very, very helpful!

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • RE: Indexed Views and Reporting

    Yes, these are great suggestions. Thank you, all!

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • RE: Indexed Views and Reporting

    I like it. Thanks again, Kevin.

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • RE: Indexed Views and Reporting

    I'd be interested to hear what some of those options for mitigating #1 are.

    Currently, we're using Standard Edition........

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • RE: Indexed Views and Reporting

    Hi Kevin,

    I've been looking into log-shipping since, honestly, you have me a little scared about the potential performance impacts of mirroring and transactional replication.

    It seems to be a well-liked feature,...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • RE: Log Chains

    Gail,

    Thank you! I just wanted to make sure I understood the implications. I'll of course make sure I have good backups (and practice restoring them multiple times) before considering deleting...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • RE: Log Chains

    Thanks, John.

    I actually just read Gail Shaw's article yesterday, and I know that I'll need to talk to business users to determine RPO. However, my question is whether the incredibly...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • RE: Log Chains

    John,

    Thanks for the response. Two follow-up questions:

    1) Let's say the steps were, at a high level:

    a) Take full backup

    b) Take differential backup

    c) Take log backup (huge, needs to be shrunk)

    d)...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • RE: Indexed Views and Reporting

    Thank you, Kevin and others.

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • RE: Indexed Views and Reporting

    Ok great advice. Thank you!

    One more question -- If I plan to use Ola Hallengren's maintenance scripts for full, differential, and transaction log backups (or even if I create a...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

  • RE: Indexed Views and Reporting

    Thanks, Kevin! I've seen your sessions at SQL Saturdays before -- always very informative.

    And just to clarify, you would recommend Log Shipping over mirroring or replication? Also, I assume that...

    Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 322 total)