Viewing 15 posts - 7,606 through 7,620 (of 59,098 total)
...
Heh... I wonder how many people actually got this question right without having to run the code?
Even I knew about quirky update and I'm only a lowly developer....
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 10, 2020 at 1:10 pm
First, thank you for the article. I think that anyone that steps up to the plate to share their knowledge is ok in my book.
Shifiting gears, I'm a bit confused...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 10, 2020 at 12:27 pm
Heh... I wonder how many people actually got this question right without having to run the code?
I've been using a related technique to emulate STRING_AGG, so it wasn't...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 10, 2020 at 12:10 pm
I've done many of those tests myself... if you can get Minimal Logging to come into play, the inserting into a Clustered Index is MUCH faster than inserting into a...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 10, 2020 at 11:54 am
From the post:
Not sure where this is useful or why it's there, but if anyone uses this, let us know.
If you yabingle "quirky update", you'll find examples of its...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 10, 2020 at 11:48 am
Interesting, but I'd be wary of using it. In a multi-row update, the result is pretty much undefined, unless all the rows are updated to the same value. And...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 10, 2020 at 11:45 am
@JeffModen:
There's a known issue with SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON... it forces full materialization of the data in TempDB and sorts it. ARCHIVE tables just don't need the IDENTITY PROPERTY on...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 10, 2020 at 2:18 am
Thanks! Would this work for whole db rather than individual table? How about Primary keys and clustered index?
You've got to be really careful about disabling any PK or UNIQUE...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 10, 2020 at 12:26 am
No... you still have the LSN problem.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 10, 2020 at 12:09 am
As a bit of a side bar, I'm always amazed when someone says they have a shedload of servers but no money to actually support them. It just doesn't make...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 10, 2020 at 12:07 am
>> your examples didn't have a join in - they were single table selects <<
If you've done a good job with your schema, then they will be a lot...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 9, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Sure... just like I said over on SQLTeam.com...
To be honest, there is no completely reliable method to ensure that you don't delete stored procedures that are being used.. Consider the...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 9, 2020 at 2:51 pm
Considering that it took almost 3 decades for them to get their fingers out of their ears on a true CSV format, I'll say "good luck with that submittal" David.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 9, 2020 at 2:47 pm
wait until you get an application that wants to create sql agent jobs and then delete them after. not a hope in hell stopping that process running as SA
we...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 9, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Dear Jeff,
Thank you for kind help!
I quite agree with you!
my said procedure, I just want to verify how the transaction(rollback) works on the said scripts, actually, when the 1st...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
March 9, 2020 at 2:10 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 7,606 through 7,620 (of 59,098 total)