Viewing 15 posts - 52,486 through 52,500 (of 59,098 total)
How many times have you run the test? First section of the test caches the data for the second one. Try reversing the two tests and see what...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 18, 2008 at 12:38 pm
Good stuff, Phil... we had some critical stuff we needed to do as a batch job and, for sure, it required "SA" privs and xp_cmdShell...
I love my DBA... she...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 18, 2008 at 12:02 pm
Ken Gaul (2/18/2008)
Still can't see why anyone would...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 18, 2008 at 11:46 am
Although using FSO through sp_OA is a wonderful idea... it still requires "SA" privs. Not complaining or arguing... just reminding 🙂
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 18, 2008 at 11:34 am
Schnurdle (2/18/2008)
I always create the temp table first, then INSERT into it to avoid such issues.
e.g.
--Create...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 18, 2008 at 11:13 am
Sure thing, CA... thanks for asking...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Advanced+Querying/61716/
... and thanks for the kudo on formatting. I do it mostly so I can read it 😀
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 18, 2008 at 10:49 am
What are you using to measure the times with? Typically, I'll use SET STATISTICS TIME ON... the CPU time is the actual time it took sans any display. ...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 18, 2008 at 10:11 am
Heh... if you don't care so much about a trigger providing a friendly error, you can always just have the table lock itself up when you create it...
CREATE TABLE YourTable...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 18, 2008 at 10:06 am
Thanks for the feedback, Julie... hmm... maybe I should publish it here, as well.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 18, 2008 at 9:14 am
What an awesome article... I've seen quite a few on the same topic, but this one "nutshells" the whole 9 yards very nicely. It's definitely a keeper.
Thanks for...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 18, 2008 at 8:59 am
Actually, the help system in SQL Server is pretty good. Comes free with SQL Server. It's called "Books Online".
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 18, 2008 at 12:23 am
Yes... it does have a disadvantage similar to many other programs that import data... the date must be formatted consistently from row to row including the header, if there is...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 17, 2008 at 11:06 pm
ebuss_2004 (2/17/2008)
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm
I had to make a bigger table to get some timing stats.... also means I had to convert both scripts to use a Tally table and make a large enough...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 17, 2008 at 6:20 pm
I kinda thought that, as well. Thanks, Matt. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 17, 2008 at 12:27 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 52,486 through 52,500 (of 59,098 total)