Viewing 15 posts - 3,931 through 3,945 (of 59,098 total)
A popular college MIS system uses CHAR for many fields and this often leads to issues, not in the software, as that is built to account for this. However...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 13, 2022 at 1:36 am
Spot on, Jeff !
The main point for people to prefer varchar over char is that their GUI development tool doesn't have to bother with trailing spaces.
Lordy. I understand that...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 12, 2022 at 6:09 pm
Um... ok. I'm confused. I thought you just said that SPAM is a bit of a problem.
.... but with the growth of SPAM items, it's a hassle.
The...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 11, 2022 at 8:47 pm
Have any of you realized that the four-digit year is only good for another 7977 years? Better get ready.
I hope you and I are around to argue about that...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 11, 2022 at 6:55 pm
Well that's cool! I even like how the site says "Not another MySQL install).
Understood on the spam. The cool part there is, if SPAM shows up on a thread that...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 11, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Just curious... not including the path of the file, what is the name and extension of the file? The reason I ask is it sounds like they didn't send you...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 11, 2022 at 3:32 pm
Caruncles wrote:CHAR has bitten me numerous times...
How so? Especially when it comes to single byte stuff that even you know will never change?
I'd' say it's time to stop...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 11, 2022 at 3:17 pm
Just got a good laugh at the end of this conversation. Saw the following line. Is this a limitation of a CHAR data element?
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 11, 2022 at 3:12 pm
CHAR has bitten me numerous times...
How so? Especially when it comes to single byte stuff that even you know will never change?
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 11, 2022 at 3:04 pm
I almost always agree with Phil and Grant that this should be done at presentation time in whatever app is generating the final output.
But, then there's the human factors of...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 11, 2022 at 3:01 pm
This conversation brings up an ancient pain of mine and that's the mantra of "Pre-optimization is the root of all evil" parable that Knuth first stated in one of his...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 11, 2022 at 2:34 pm
BigQuery has a data type called STRING with no size specification.
In Snowflake all text columns are VARCHAR under the hood, including CHAR.
For pure column stores the method of encoding...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 11, 2022 at 2:01 pm
Sure. I use CHAR. It's all a part of right-sizing data. Such right sizing does some incredible things, not the least of which is preventing the massive page splits and...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 11, 2022 at 6:13 am
Maybe. I'd like to think that we prevent a posting here, so no one is notified, which should prevent there being two.
I have asked for data analysis of threads...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 11, 2022 at 3:54 am
I feel like that list is proof that Grant and Jeff are the same person, as they have exactly the same amount of subscriptions.
No.
You've got that all...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 11, 2022 at 3:45 am
Viewing 15 posts - 3,931 through 3,945 (of 59,098 total)