Breaking Change - Feb 9, 2022

• We are looking to implement a subscription limit in the forums. Right now there are numerous people who are subscribed to older threads, often thousands of them. Since most of these threads are not actively being posted to, these subscriptions aren't used. However, there are a few functions that look for subscriptions, which are becoming overloaded. Mine, for example, has nearly 9000 subscriptions.

The change is that we will limit subscriptions to 2000. After that, we will delete the oldest subscription (in terms of last post date to the topic) from your profile. This means that the 2,000 most active threads will remain subscribed to by accounts.

I will ask this to be deployed the week of 14 Feb. Please contact the webmaster if you have any concerns or issues.

Steve

• I did not see my name on the list but for me you can unsubscribe me from any that is older than 1 year.

should anyone post something and bump the thread I will always see it on recent threads and look at it if needed be.

• You might be just under the 2k limit. For the most part, this shouldn't be anything you notice, although if someone posted to the 2002nd oldest thread, you just wouldn't be notified.

I am considering having threads older than 1 year automatically closed if someone tries to post to them.

• Sorry, Steve, I clicked "report" in stead of quote 🙁

Closing a post after 1 year of no responses seems fair to me.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Johan Bijnens wrote:

Sorry, Steve, I clicked "report" in stead of quote 🙁

Closing a post after 1 year of no responses seems fair to me.

I fixed it.

And yeah, I agree. After a year, I'd say it's dead.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

You might be just under the 2k limit. For the most part, this shouldn't be anything you notice, although if someone posted to the 2002nd oldest thread, you just wouldn't be notified.

I am considering having threads older than 1 year automatically closed if someone tries to post to them.

That would put us in the same category as a lot of people that publish articles and you find that "Comments Are Closed" even though there is something desperately incorrect about them.  How many total posts are there on this site anyway?  I'm thinking that none of it comes close to qualifying as "big data".

Rumor has it that this site is ironically powered by MySQL, is that true?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Rumors are dangerous beasts.

We run WordPress under Project Nami - https://projectnami.org/

Means a double patch process, but we can submit PRs to Nami to fix things that don't work well.

I've felt that closing threads wasn't how I wanted this site to run, but with the growth of SPAM items, it's a hassle. If we did this, I'd certainly look to have a way to override closing if we found a need to re-open a thread.

• Well that's cool!  I even like how the site says "Not another MySQL install).

Understood on the spam.  The cool part there is, if SPAM shows up on a thread that I get notified by, it doesn't usually last more than several minutes.  Unfortunately, notifications were broken and so a lot of us haven't seen it to report to delete it.

It seemed that your original concern was the number of people (like me, Grant, and some of the others) had large numbers of notifications and that was somehow screwing up the works.  Especially since the site is using SQL Server as the database, is that really a problem or is it more that the email server that's doing the notifications is taking a beating?  I think that cutting back on the number of threads we have from the past wouldn't actually affect that very much.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• The spam hasn't been a huge problem from what I've seen, and it's less about email. More, the processing on the web server in WordPress is choking slightly.

• Um... ok.  I'm confused.  I thought you just said that SPAM is a bit of a problem.

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

.... but with the growth of SPAM items, it's a hassle.

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

The spam hasn't been a huge problem from what I've seen, and it's less about email. More, the processing on the web server in WordPress is choking slightly.

So what's going on with the web server that's causing the "choking slightly" if it's not email/notifications, SPAM, or any of the other things that seem to be discussed quite a bit lately.  For example, what is exacerbating the need to cut down on the number of posts people are subscribed to and what is the actual cause for wanting to close posts that are more than a year since the last post?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• From what I was able to see in the monitoring feature on this site, the problem is in terrible design of both database and the querying processes.

It's msdb all over the place. Same kind of "intuitive" database design, which is easy to understand for front-end developers, the same issues with scalability, when job history table grows too big, and the same resolution to the problem - limit the number of entries in the history table.

the thing is - this approach turns an SQL instance to a overpriced Excel installation. It also can handle the amount of data limited by the RAM available to it.

That's unfortunate, as SQL Server is way more powerful than Excel, the only item which is needed to use that power is a developer who actually knows how to design scalable database solutions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply