Viewing 15 posts - 3,691 through 3,705 (of 59,098 total)
My apologies, COVID delayed my progress.
Start working slowly.
Regards
RR
You came down with COVID? Sorry to hear and glad you're still around. I know I sound like a Grandma but take...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 8, 2022 at 12:44 am
I'll start off by saying that putting columns in functions in the WHERE clause is almost always going to cause full table or index scans and that's going to kill...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 7, 2022 at 5:16 pm
I am trying to restore prod backup to test instance, so overwriting it should not be a problem.
Ok... first of all, remember that none of the privs you established...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 7, 2022 at 3:04 am
To be honest, I don't trust any of the estimates. I've never had them be close for me.
I'm happy that everything eventually came back for you. Sounds like you're having...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 7, 2022 at 2:54 am
I'm looking at a part of what you posted..
PatID StartDate EndDate Type of Line Insert Dt Remv Dt Pt...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 7, 2022 at 2:49 am
I've always been concerned but, as I get older, I seriously worry about the medical world and hospitals and the people in them when I see things like the following...
--Jeff Moden Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to Post Performance Problems
Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
April 7, 2022 at 12:01 am
I agree with what the others said. you've basically guaranteed that there's no chance of index seeks or high performance seek/range scans by embedding columns in functions, doing a leading...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 6, 2022 at 11:36 pm
My suggestion is that you REALLY need to STUDY RESTORE in the official documentation. Here's the link...
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/statements/restore-statements-transact-sql
There are several caveats and possible gotchas and if you've not done...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 6, 2022 at 11:24 pm
Hey Jeff,
"SELECT Name_04, Name_05, Name_06, Cnt = COUNT(*)"
I executed the above query in the reference (security) table and the findings are as below. In total 1271 rows in total.
Cnt...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 5, 2022 at 10:26 pm
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+using+memory+in+SQL+Server
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 5, 2022 at 10:04 pm
Funny that you mention that. I do the same thing.
A long time ago, I remember that I would solve something (it wasn't SQL back then) in a dream, wake up,...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 4, 2022 at 7:04 pm
Although mostly about memory, the following article has some pretty good stuff about examining things when you have long running queries.
https://www.erikdarlingdata.com/sql-server/does-my-sql-server-need-more-memory/
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 4, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Ar you saying that you still need real live "running totals" in the output? If so, my question, again, would be WHY? What problem would those help you solve?
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 4, 2022 at 3:52 pm
Hi Experts,
I have several more than 60+ Dates and I need to know which is last valid date for a particular record ?
All the timers are extracted in a...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 4, 2022 at 3:51 pm
With large tables, it's not likely that statistics are up to date (Frederico hinted at this in his post). What are you doing to keep statistics up to date (especially...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 4, 2022 at 3:30 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 3,691 through 3,705 (of 59,098 total)